Chapter 1

Memories We Made

5 years earlier:

 

 

 

Damn!

She was running late. Again. Dropping her two younger brothers and even younger sister always had her running a few minutes late. She had to wake them early now. That would mean that she also had wake up early. She sighed inwardly. She was still thinking about her problem, running at high speed in order to get to her lecture in time. As she was running, she bumped into someone running from the direction of the library.

"Offf!"

Sam finally looked up, wanting to see who she bumped into in order to apologize. She found it was none other than Piety, her classmate.

"Oh, hey Piety," Sam huffed, trying to catch her breath. She extended her hand to help Piety get up. "I'm so sorry! I didn't see where I was going."

"No, it's ok," Piety said, dusting off her clothes. "I wasn't paying attention either. So it's both our faults I guess."

The girls smiled at each other, then started running together toward the lecture hall one they realized the time.

Each went her own way as soon as they reached the lecture room.

Piety and Sam were 2nd year students at an elite School of the Arts in the US. It was a school only rich kids got into. They were both from good families back in Korea, and they both came to the US to study in this school. It had always been their dream to study in this school, ever since they found their passion in the arts.

Even though they came from good families, families that can actually afford this elite school along with food and transport, they were one of the ten exclusive scholarships the school offered every year. As a result, they were always bullied, and for more than one reason. The fact that they were both in the school on scholarship caused the other kids to immediately think that they were poor, which was not the case. Another reason was their unique looks and styles. Being Korean meant having a lean, slight body (which the other kids envied, but would never admit to such a thing). But it was their styles that set them apart.

Looking at the clothes they both wore that morning as an example; you could see their unique styles.

Sam wore a big oversized sweater with dark blue jeans and converse. She had her hair tied messily on the top of her head. She wore large glasses (not that she needed glasses, it was for stylish reasons).

Piety on the other hand, wore a navy blue and white polk-a-dot dress with black leggings underneath and high-top sneakers.

This wasn't the way rich kids dressed, so the other kids always bullied them, making their lives that much harder, and they were not alone.

Sam and Piety's characters were also… for lack of better word, unique.

Sam was an outspoken girl, who says whatever she wants whenever she wants, not scared of what people would think or do. Her parents knew it was her dream to come and study at the school, and were willing to pay the tuition, but Sam refused. She saw that it wasn't right, especially with two younger siblings. She wanted her siblings to get into good schools and not be held back because the wasted her parents money. So she auditioned. And being incredibly talented, she got in with a scholarship.

Her parents, not wanting her to be alone in a foreign country, got her brother and sister into a private school near her university. They also rented an apartment for them so they can stay together.

Piety on the other hand, was the quiet type. Oh, don't get me wrong, she had an opinion about everything and everyone. She just couldn't be bothered to say what was going through her mind out loud. She never got close to anyone, and she wanted to keep it that way.

She was also distanced from her parents. Always locking herself in her room and not talking to anyone. She always had a thing for music. She would sit at her computer all day at home making beats that no one thought possible. She wanted to get away from her life in Korea and pursue her dream of becoming a composer, so she auditioned (without her parents knowledge) and to her surprise, she got an acceptance letter. So she told her parents, who couldn't say anything (I mean this was a very well-known school, how their daughter got accepted in the first place was beyond them) and helped her by renting her a flat near the school.

Along with Sam and Piety, eight other students attended the school with a scholarship. Coincidently, all ten students were Korean. They all knew each other, but they weren't very close.

On the other side of the school, Dana sat on one of the benches spread around the school with her headphones with hardcore rock blaring from them so loud any passing person could hear them. She had her eyes closed, completely lost in the music. She always loved rock music. Despite the deafening drums and electric guitar sounds, rocker always wrote lyrics that come from the heart. Lyrics so deep you’re your heart physically ached.

Dana's dream was always being a lyricist. She had always wanted to write lyrics that moved people to tears. She came to this school in order to achieve her dream. She had gotten through the very competitive auditions and even got a scholarship.

Right now though, she was in no mood to attend class. Plus she came late. Sort of. She had just downloaded the new One Ok Rock album (one of the many rock bands that she loves) and wanted to listen to it, all classes be damned.

When I'm caught in fire
When I rise up higher
Do you see me out there waiting for the next chance we get
Will we make it? It's not enough or just stand here longer
Say it "We can't end here till we can get enough!!"

 

Wow… This new song "Dreamer" was something. Suddenly, Dana felt the urge to run and jump around listening to this new song. And she did just that. As soon as she started running, she felt a hand grab her by the wrist, holding her back. She turned around, prepared to scream at whoever dared to stop her, when she saw Haru.

"Why did you stop me, Haru?" she said, as she angrily took of her headphones.

"So you wanted me to just sit there and let you make a fool of yourself?" Haru retaliated with a smirk.

Haru was in some ways worse than Sam in voicing her opinions. She doesn't care who it is, her parents, a teacher, a student, a friend, or anyone who got in her way will get the wrath of her sharp tongue. Her tongue and harsh words always got her in trouble with her teachers and classmates, but mostly, her parents. So her parents, in order to let her know that she can't get away with being in trouble all the time, they refused to pay her university tuition. So she was forced to audition, in order to get in this school. Luckily, she got a scholarship, and when the school saw that she had nowhere to stay, they allowed her in one of the dorms the school offers.

"I wasn't making a fool of myself, I was living the moment," Dana said, annoyed at Haru. They were closer than the rest, due to the fact that they were always meeting like this outside of class, rebelling for no reason whatsoever.

"Here listen with me," Dana said, handing one of the headphones to Haru.

Haru took it, slightly curious at what got Dana so excited.

This is my "Perfect sense Dreamer-like" dream
I don’t care who's going to bring me down
Because there's a lot more darkness
And big walls in front of me,
So I'll break them down!

Haru continued listening to the song, entranced and captivated by the deep lyrics. Lyrics that described their situation perfectly. Now she understood why Dana had gotten excited, but would never admit it.

"It's good," Haru said, trying to control her expression to that of someone not really interested.

"Good? GOOD?" Dana exclaimed. "THIS IS AWESOME! IT'S ONE OF THE AWESOMEST SONGS EVER AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS 'GOOD'?"

Haru just looked sideways at her friend, not wanting to get into a fight with the one person she has that’s as close to a friend as she could have. So, she just kept quiet for once.

Meemz was sitting in the lecture, waiting for it to end. She was getting restless. Even though she loved what she was studying, she always wanted to do more. Coming from a family who loves to pursue their dreams, they accepted the fact that she wanted to audition. Although they were doing well financially, Meemz wanted to get in with talent alone. She was fairly sure of her talent, but she wanted a confirmation from someone else than her family.

The lecture ended. Meemz put her head down to sleep for a bit until it was time to get to dance practice. The second she closed her eyes though, a hand reached out and shook her. She looked up, startled.

"Hey Meemz," Rana, another Korean student in her class chirped.

Rana knew everyone in the school. And I mean everyone. You couldn't hate her even if you tried. She had a bubbly personality that everyone loved. She got a scholarship even though she could've paid, but hey who can say no to a scholarship. She was an amazing dancer, which is why the school tried to hold on to her with their hands and teeth.

"Oh, Rana, hey," Meemz mumbled while looking at Rana through squinting eyes. "Can't you see I'm trying to get some sleep?"

"Yeah, sorry, but they changed the schedule, again! Dance practice is in half an hour, so do you want to grab some lunch before then?"

"OH MY GOD! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Meemz sudden outburst startled everyone.

Meemz, unwillingly, dragged her feet behind Rana as they walked to the cafeteria to get some lunch. On the way, they walked past a couple sitting on a bench munching their sandwiches and making small talk.

"Sunbae!" Rana said, waving at the couple (I told you she knew everyone).

The couple looked up, confused at where the sound came from. As soon as they saw Rana, they smiled widely and waved back. Then they returned to their conversation.

"Uh, who are those two?" Meemz asked, looking back at the couple. "And where do you know our seniors from?" she added, just processing the fact that Rana had called them 'Sunbae'.

"Oh, they're also Korean, that's why I know them. Plus they've been very helpful to me. I'll introduce you," Rana added with a wink. "The guys name is Jiyong, but he likes to be called G-Dragon, or GD for short. The girl is Arwa, she likes to be called Crazy R, because, well, she's crazy."

Then Rana's face lit up, and her eyes sparkled as an idea formed in her mind. Why haven't I thought about this before? She wondered, as she eyed Meemz, if her idea will work. She had to make sure though before making any move that everyone will be willing to accept her idea. She turned to Meemz, who was still sleepy and hadn't noticed the gleam in her friends' eye.

"Meemz. Hey Meemz. Listen to me," Rana said, as she shook her friend. "I have to ask you a question?"

"Hmm. Uh, yeah, sure," Meemz mumbled, shaking her head slightly in order to focus on what her friend was saying. "What is it?"

"You like Kpop, right?" Rana asked, squeezing her friends shoulder, and nearly jumping up and down from the excitement.

"Yeah, I do. But why the sudden question?" Meemz asked, slightly confused at where her friend was going with this.

"Do you want to be in a –wait for it –band? Here, in our school?"

Meemz eyes opened wide, half in shock and half in excitement. She nodded her head, thinking how awesome it could be.

"Alright!" Rana said, pumping her fist in the air (in a cute way of course).

She waved goodbye to her friend, saying something about 'getting things going', leaving Meemz in a daze.

Rana's idea was just the beginning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Guuuuuuuuuuuuys annyong!!!

So starting the story off to a weird start... I know everyone will be like "But where kyuuu, and donghae and kris"

Well don't worry they'll be here next chapter

 

For those of you who don't know, One Ok Rock is a Japanese rock band. You can watch the song I quoted from "Dreamer" right here !!!

 

Enjoooy!!!

Don't forget

Comment

Subscribe

Upvote

Those are what keep me going ^^