Saturday

There's an Angel in my house!

Soyou watched calmly as the boy made a big fuss in front of her, sprewing out every reason he could come up with, along the lines of 'angel', 'wings' and 'impossible'.

"Relax! I won't get caught." She told him bluntly.

"Hello?! Don't you see those wings of yours? How are you going to cover that?!" Hyun Jin said in frustration.

"I have my ways. You want to see?"

"Be my guest!" He replied, not believing that she could do anything.

Soyou got up from the bed, and stand right in front of him. She close her eyes, focusing greatly on her divine power. Hyun Jin noticed the blue light radiating out of her as she concentrated. The light began to glow even brighter, to the point Hyun Jin had to shield his eyes to prevent himself from going blind. As the light died down, he looked at her in awe.

The wings were nowhere to be seen.

 

"Wha-How-What?!" Hyun Jin stammered, not taking his eyes off her. Without the wings, Soyou actually look a lot like a normal high schooler. Even her eyes changed colour, from the glowing sapphire blue to a warm brown, like the colour of dark chocolate.

"Told you so." She smirked at the dumbfounded boy. "Now I won't get caught being your angel."

He looked at her snow white dress, her bare feet, and her blonde highlights. "You will be kicked out for improper attire though."

"Too bad creating clothes isn't a power of mine." She said sarcastically.

"Let's get you some clothes tomorrow then."

"Sure." She got onto to bed again and pulled the blanket over her, leavin a rather shocked boy staring at her.

"Um... That's kind of my bed." Hyun Jin 'nicely' pointed out.

"I know."

"Then?"

"Go and find you own bed. Be a gentleman and let me have this one." Soyou pulled the covers over her head, clearly indicating that the conversation was over. Hyun Jin sighed. He hate it whenever females use the 'gentleman' excuse to get their own way. After rummaging through the closets in his house, he manage to find a thin mattress, some bed sheets and a blanket. After laying down the mattress and everything, he flopped onto the bed, tired. He close his eyes, trying to get some sleep though it's already coming to 4 in the morning.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

 


 

"Wake up!" She called, shaking the boy who was sleeping soundly on the mattress. "Wake up! WAKE UP!"

"Wh-What?" Hyun Jin stirred, trying to open his eyes.

"C'mon! You're going to be late for school!"

"What?!" He shot up, his heart beating crazily against his chest. He grabbed his spectacles and put them on. Looking at the time, he turned pale. It's already 7! How am I going to get there in time?! He was just about to get his school uniform when he realised it. "It's Saturday today!" He told Ji Hyun, as he gave himself a face-palm. "There's no school today!"

"There isn't?" Soyou asked, looking at Hyun Jin with a puzzled expression.

"Yes, there isn't." Hyun Jin sighed. Having such an naive angel with him isn't such a good thing after all.

"Anyway, since you're up already, let's have breakfast." She walked merrily to the stairs. She was just about to go down when she felt a hand grab her wrist.

"Wait! You can't go down yet!"

"Why not?"

"My dad would freak out if he sees you."

"Relax," she said, removing his hand from her wrist. "I got that cover too."

"You do?"

"Yupp. Watch." Hyun Jin saw a flash of appearing in her eyes. Her hands begin to glow blue as she mumbled to herself. He watched seriously.

Then she disappeared, literally.

"Soyou...?" He called, looking around the room. He was kind of suspecting it but it was still pretty shocking.

"Yes?" Yupp, she's invisible. Hyun Jin 'looked' at her with a partially disturbed but also curious face. "What?" She asked, finding his expression a little weird.

"It's so interesting how you can mindread, but not walk through walls. You can transform, but not create. You can turn INVISIBLE, but you cannot teleport. Being an angel is so weird."

"One will get used to it after some time. How do you even know I can neither walk through walls nor teleport?"

"If you could, you would have done that when we first met, instead of getting me to open to door."

"True." She grabbed Hyun Jin's hand and pulled him along. "Now, let's have breakfast."

 

 

Hyun Jin watched the girl happily walking along the street, swaying the shopping bags gleefully. Soyou was wearing a pair of his old sneakers, since she couldn't walk aound the place barefooted, and his favourite brown coat over her dress as it was starting to get chilly with winter approaching.

He didn't like the fact that all of his hard earned debt money was spent on a bunch of clothes, when he himself only had a few shirts and pants. Thankfully everyone needs to wear the school attire to school, otherwise he might have a lot more problems than now. But still, he would need to work more to earn back that money. He sighed, dreading the work days ahead.

"Don't worry, I can help you." Soyou commented, turning around and looking at him with her deep brown eyes. Right, she could read my mind.

"But how? You don't even know when is school!"

"You can teach me. I can learn slowly from you. And my magic, though limited, would help too." Hyun Jin shrugged and continued walking. He didn't want to break Soyou's good nature and optimism. Soyou stood still and stared at Hyun Jin, before breaking into a big grin and running ahead of him.

She had read that thought, and it felt good  to have someone care about her for once.

Besides his mom, of course.

So she decided to 'repay' him at the front porch. As he rammaged his bag for his keys, Ji Hyun stopped him, a stretched out her already glowing hand towards the door. The door glowed a very dim blue, unlocked itself and let the two teenagers through.

"Heol." Hyun Jin said, walking up the stairs to his bedroom. "I'm not even surprised anymore."

"Heol? What's 'heol'?"

"It's a way of stating surprise. I'll tell you more later."

"Oh okay then." Soyou made a mental note of that word, planning to use it in the future. The two went up to the bedroom, placing the bought clothing on the bed and going back down to have dinner.

 

Soyou stared at Hyun Jin. The boy was already sleeping soundly on the mattress. He had taught her a little more about Korea over dinner, letting her learn new expressions as well. He laughed as he saw Soyou practicing the words, which came out sounding really weird as her intonation was off. She watched the rise and fall of his chest, thinking to herself everything that she had experienced so far.

You were right, Mrs. Jo. Hyun Jin is a very interesting boy. The human world is also extremely fascinating, just as you had told me.

I don't know if I'm cut out for the task, but since you've assigned it personally to me, I shall carry out my duties diligently. But there is one thing that is bothering me lately, and I can't put my finger on it.

Why does my heart beat so fast whenever I see him?