Embracing

Dark Secrets (HIATUS)

~Embracing~

Kim Taeyeon…The new coven leader of 1909 Salem Sisterhood, the girls gathered together on a warm afternoon to talk about their new road path. Taeyeon and the others sat down under a huge luscious tree and enjoyed the windy day, courtesy of Seo Juhyun’s wind element, the girls seemed to enjoy the weather despite of slight hotness.

“Okay…” Taeyeon said as she placed the book on the middle of their circle. They sat together in a circular manner and Taeyeon placed her necklace on top of the book. “Who hasn’t touched it?” Taeyeon asked.

Jessica, Tiffany, Yuri, Yoona, Hyoyeon, and Sooyoung raised their hands.

“Okay, go on Jessica…” Taeyeon smiled.

Jessica took off her white lacy gloves. “Uhm…Are you sure it won’t hurt? Sting?”

Taeyeon, Sunny, and Seohyun shook their heads. “Just touch it…”

Jessica extended her hand, she used her index and middle finger to touch the crystal diamond pendant. The color of the crystal didn’t change color and nothing happened. “Why?” Jessica asked. “What’s wrong?” Jessica was still touching the pendant.

“That’s weird I-“ Just as Taeyeon touched the silver chain of the necklace, the crystal turned ice cold, they heard ice cracks and the leaves around Jessica froze due to her frost. “Omo…that felt good…” Jessica expressed as the frost encircled her hands and it disappeared.

“I think, unnie…you should hold it while they touch it…” Seohyun said. “So the pendant recognizes the members…”

“Oh…Okay.” Taeyeon said as she placed the necklace on her palms. “Next, Tiffany…Deym…I’m scared…She holds the fire.”

Tiffany excitingly touched the pendant. The pendant turned fire red and Tiffany’s palm produced fire, it circled around her arms up to her shoulders, and down to her waist without her getting burnt. “Oh dear…” Tiffany giggled as she embraced her powers. “Jessica…” She suddenly held Jessica’s hands.

“OMO!!” Jessica reacted. *ttssssssssssssssssss* They laced their palms together and it sounded like a hot sizzling plate being sprinkled by liquid. There were smoke mist coming out from their hands and then water started to drip in between their touches.

“WOWW…” Everyone reacted.

“I think…hmm…you shouldn’t use your magic when holding hands…haha!” Taeyeon said. “Okay Yuri…your turn…”

Yuri smiled and confidently touched the pendant. The pendant turned water blue and crystal clear water droplets danced beautifully and gracefully around her. Yoona was extremely awed and she finds Yuri attractive with it.

“Water it is…” Taeyeon smiled.

“It suits you…” Yoona commented. Her cheeks turned pink and everyone noticed.

“Yoona…” Taeyeon sweetly said.

Yoona touched the pendant. The pendant turned green. Just around them beautiful buds and flowers appeared on the ground, vines and leaves circled Yoona’s arms, everyone was surprised simply because the vines was like eating Yoona but Yoona was just smiling as she lightly touched the vines to stop it from tickling her. “HIHI…awe…my babies…” Yoona said to the flower buds beside her.

“Earth is yours.” Taeyeon smiled. “Hyoyeon you’re next…”

Hyoyeon was scared to touch the pendant. Unlike her friends, she knew she doesn’t hold the power of elements. She knew she was different. “Uhm…I- don’t…” Hyoyeon stopped herself. “Ahnee…”

“Why?” Everyone asked.

“I’m scared…”

“Don’t be…I’m your leader…” Taeyeon cooed. “It’s okay. You’ll be fine. You saw them. Their powers didn’t harm them…you’re just claiming yours…come on.”

Hyoyeon was still scared. “I don’t hold any element…I know I hold something different.”

“It’s okay. We’ll know…unnie, you can do it.” Seohyun held her hand. “Go on…”

Hyoyeon let out a deep breath. She closed her eyes as she touched the pendant. The pendant suddenly turned black, silver lightings crossed the dark pendant. Hyoyeon suddenly lets go it, departing her touch and contact.

“What was that?” Jessica asked.

Hyoyeon was scared, her eyes starting to tear up, she buried her face onto her palms until she suddenly disappeared, she re-appear few meters away from them like a zap and in another blink of an eye Hyoyeon appeared back to her place in their circle.

“Unnie…” Seohyun said. She hugged Hyoyeon who was now visibly beside her. “Don’t cry unnie…See? Nothing happened.”

“What happened?” Hyoyeon asked. Her red face that was about to cry began to calm down.

“Hyo…You’re element is Force. You’re a force caster. You can teleport, time travel, etc. BUT!! Only great witches time travel…it’s risky…but we’ll see what we can do…” Taeyeon said. “Sooyoung you’re up.”

Sooyoung bravely touched the pendant. But as she touched it, nothing happened.

Everyone’s attention was on Sooyoung now. “What’s…why is it not responding?” Sunny asked.

“That’s weird…” Jessica commented.

“Touch it again…” Tiffany said.

Sooyoung touched it but nothing happened again.

“Impossible…why?” Taeyeon was out of words.

“Moolah…” Sooyoung pouted.

“Do you think unnie…she’s…” Seohyun said but she got cut off by Taeyeon.

“No, Seo…Don’t say such thing.” Taeyeon said.

“What? Why?” Sooyoung asked.

“Nothing…Let’s try again later.” Taeyeon suggested. “Now, let’s put our names on the back of the book.” Taeyeon took out her quill and ink from her lacy pouch.  “Place your names under mine over there…” She said pointing onto her name. “Then write your birthday and element. Let’s do it by birth…”

“But I don’t know what to put…” Sooyoung said in a sour tone.

“We’ll figure it out…” Taeyeon smiled. “Chill…okay?”

 

~Library, 6:30pm~

Sooyoung was still skeptic of her powers. She doesn’t know what she possesses and she was simply irritated for her powers seemed like it was abandoning her. She sighed and she sat on a chair and decided to read a book for herself. She adjusted her yellow gown and crossed her legs as she settled and found her comfortable position.

Two more girls sat on the front table of where Sooyoung was.

“Hmm…Should I read this?” Sooyoung heard.

“What should I do for today?” Sooyoung heard another voice again.

Sooyoung shook her head. What was that??

“I really envy that girl’s dress…I wonder where she bought that design…”

Sooyoung heard a lot of voices and she covered her ears. It freaked her out so she decided to go out of the library. She walked the halls of Soshified and she noticed there were a lot of people. Everyone had unfamiliar faces and since when did Soshified took on various students? What the??

“Sooyoung!” Hyoyeon called. She was wearing her light blue dinner gown, slightly simple than what Sooyoung was wearing.

Just as Sooyoung blinked the people around her disappeared.

“Sooyoungie!!” Hyoyeon sweetly called as she walked towards her friend. Her heeled shoes clicked and clucked as she fancily walked.

“Hyo…did you see that?”

“That what??”

“Them! There were people around…many…some were wearing out dated fashion wears and some…”

“What are you saying? There was no one here in the halls except you and me…”

“Huh??”

“You must be tired…Come on…Let’s go…It’s almost dinner time and the others are waiting for us…Are you going to change for dinner?”

“No…I don’t care…”

“Okay. Let’s go…You’re being rebellious.” Hyoyeon held Sooyoung’s hand and dragged her to the Countess Hall for dinner.

 

~Countess Hall, Dinner~

Sooyoung’s head was now aching due to all the voices she could hear. She and Hyoyeon were walking hand in hand as they approached the Countess Hall. Sooyoung feels tired and she's becoming pale as she and Hyoyeon entered the dinner hall.

“Sooyoung…Are you okay?” Hyoyeon asked as she interwines her arms onto Sooyoung's.

“I’m just tired…” Sooyoung said as she holds onto her head.

“You look…pale…” Hyoyeon began to worry.

“No. No. I’m just hungry.” Sooyoung lied.

Hyoyeon assisted Sooyoung to their table.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening to me…”

“I hate that girl! She’s such a liar and-“

“I think I’m pregnant…Gawd…”

“Do I look okay tonight? I should look fabulous than anyone in this room…”

“Why is it every evening, dinner does not taste good…who is the stupid chef here??”

“I have to finish crochet, that homework…what again?”

 

Just as Sooyoung was about to sit beside Seohyun, she covered her ears from all the voices she could hear. Her head pounded like crazy and it was so noisy in her ears.

“Can…someone tell everyone to be quiet…Why is everyone so noisy? I can’t bear the noise…” Sooyoung whispered weakly. She was getting paler and she can’t take it anymore. “I need to breathe…”

“But…” Taeyeon didn’t know what to do.

“Quiet??” Jessica asked.

Everyone was puzzled because the Countess Hall wasn’t noisy, people were just murmuring and all they could hear was utensils and murmurs.

Seohyun waved a hand through the air, she sent a light breeze around Sooyoung’s body with lavender aromatherapy scent that could help calm the nerves and mind of Sooyoung. It was working, Sooyoung was feeling a bit better but her head pounding was becoming too much for her to gain.

Sooyoung held onto Hyoyeon. “Hyo…My head is aching so much…it’s so noisy…I can’t take it…”

“Sooyoung…” Everyone began to feel nervous and worry.

“Wait, let’s take you to the nurse…” Hyoyeon said. But before she could do her next move, Sooyoung suddenly passed out.

“Sooyoung…” Everyone said.

“Omo…Unnie…” Seohyun reacted.

“Sooyoung…” Hyoyeon panicked. She was the one embracing Sooyoung’s lifeless body.

 

~Infirmary Wing~

Sooyoung tilted her head and just as she opened her eyes, she was in the infirmary wing. The lights were turned off and the infirmary was pitched dark. There were lamps to light the place but it was quite scary. Just as Sooyoung made another blink, a woman suddenly appeared beside her. She was wearing an old fashioned gown, more like late 1800’s Victorian era. Much tighter, much complicated, and much duller than what Sooyoung was wearing. Her hair was black and she was wearing a maroon colored hat. She smiled down to Sooyoung’s face.

“Who are you?” Sooyoung asked.

The woman smiled. “You don’t need to know me, you know me by heart already…But one advice, don’t struggle away from your powers. Don’t be scared. You are just like me…embrace it…”

“But…” Sooyoung adjusted up to the infirmary bed but just as she blinked again the woman disappeared and Hyoyeon was sleeping next to her hand. Her head was resting onto her arms.

Hyoyeon felt Sooyoung was up, and so she immediately lifted up her head. “Sooyoung…you’re awake?”

“Yes. I saw-“ Sooyoung stopped herself. “Nevermind…” She didn’t continue.

“What?” Hyoyeon asked as she stood up and checked on Sooyoung.

“Nothing…” Sooyoung said as she stops Hyoyeon from making a fuzz over her.

“Jinjja? Are you sure?” Hyoyeon asked as she raked Sooyoung’s long dark hair.

“Yeh…I-…By the way…don’t you want to go back to our dorm?” Sooyoung asked.

“Ahnee…I’ll stay here…with you.” Hyoyeon said as she rubs Sooyoung’s hand. “You should sleep.” She stood up and tucked Sooyoung to bed again. “Night…” She kissed Sooyoung’s nose tip and hugged her tight.

“But…you’ll get back ache and stiff neck…” Sooyoung protested.

“I’d rather get those…than to sleep alone, baby…” Hyoyeon argued. “Now, your reasons are invalid so sleep…You should be thankful I’m here beside you…” Hyoyeon sounded a bit sour and bitter.

Sooyoung giggled. “I honestly feel fine now…” Sooyoung admitted. “Now that you’re here with me…” Sooyoung said cheesily.

“Aiigoo…you know I hate those…cheesy feelings…”

“I know…I love you too!!” Sooyoung lovingly said as she outstretched her arms.

Hyoyeon smiled and her cheeks flushed pink.

“Just come to my arms! Aigoo!!” Sooyoung pouted. “Aish!!”

“Ahrasso…Ahrasso…” Hyoyeon hugged Sooyoung.

“I should scoot so you can sleep beside me…” Sooyoung insisted.

“I don’t think so…You should feel comfortable…”

“It’s okay. I don’t mind.” Sooyoung smiled. “It’s lonely to sleep without anyone beside you…”

“Aigo…You know that I hate sleeping with someone beside me…” Hyoyeon mumbled.

“I heard that…” Sooyoung said. She narrowed her eyes and straightened her face. “You know…I feel bad…”

“Why?”

“What’s my power….I don’t know mine…”

“We’ll figure that out…but the thing is with or without it, you’re part of the circle, you’re with us, you’re ours and you’re mine…it’s impossible that you don’t own anything. There’s always something…”

“Do you think?? Wait…You’re mine??” Sooyoung asked to make herself clear.

“Yes…Of course…” Hyoyeon said bashfully. “Also we’re sorceress now…”

Sooyoung smiled cheesily.

“Aish…Sooyoung, put that weird smile away.”

 

*Cluck*

The door of the infirmary wing opened. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon’s attention diverted to the door. Their sweet moment were interrupted by someone.

“Heya…”

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon smiled. “Hi…”

Taeyeon came in along with Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Yuri, Yoona, and Seohyun. They were wearing their night gowns and Taeyeon came with the book pressed against her chest.

“Hey there…” The kid leader said as she squeezed Sooyoung’s hand lightly. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m okay… Why did you bring that here??” Sooyoung asked bitterly.

“According to it…we can’t leave it elsewhere without sanctuary…” Taeyeon answered.

“Sanctuary??” Everyone asked.

“Sanctuary…we need a place for it…but according to the book, there’s already a sanctuary from the old members before…but we can make our own if we want…”

“Wait…we need a…like a sanctuary coven?” Sunny asked.

Taeyeon nodded.

Sooyoung sighed. “Can you please give me all a break…”

Everyone was surprised. “Why?” Hyoyeon asked. “Are you okay?”

Sooyoung was a little pissed. “Can we all not talk about this magic here and magic there…I am tired of these things…I’m helpless…Unlike all of you, you know what you hold. But me?? What if there’s something wrong with me?? I don’t want to hear these things anymore…”

Hyoyeon calmed Sooyoung down. She hugged her friend tightly.

“It doesn’t matter Sooyoung…” Tiffany cooed. “It’s okay…”

“Yeah…it doesn’t matter, unnie…” Seohyun comforted.

“As long as you’re part of us.” Yuri added.

“That’s easy for you to say because all of you don’t know what I feel.” Sooyoung fought through her emotions. “You don’t know what I’m going through…”

“What is it then? Why don’t you tell us??” Taeyeon said.

“Are you feeling something lately?? Something not normal??” Hyoyeon asked worriedly as she pressed Sooyoung’s head onto her chest.

“Nothing, I don’t want to talk about it…”

“Do you feel something?? Or anything? See some weird things?” Taeyeon asked.

“No…”

“Sooyoung…I’m your leader, we’re your sisters, this is us…our circle…we’re in this together…From blood to ashes, from ashes to grave…that’s our vow. We are responsible for each other and we are all together in this…If you’re having discomforts or anything, you’re encountering something un-natural, we have the rights to know…”

“Tae’s right…” Hyoyeon said.

“Why?? Can you do anything about it?? If I tell you…”

“That’s why we will figure things out together, right?” Jessica said.

“I’m not like you. I’m not like all of you…I’m the unknown. Right?” Sooyoung questioned.

“Wha-…How did you know about the unknown?” Taeyeon asked.

“Don’t play with me Tae…I heard you and Seohyun talking about the unknown. In a circle, there’s always a possibility that one would not know what powers she possess…they call it unknown…this is rare but it happened thrice through the Salem generation…and I maybe the one in our time…Some unknown never gets the chance to claim and discover their power ever and some died as an unknown but still part of the circle…Usually unknowns ends up as potion makers, protectors, magic binders, magic whatever…”

“No, sweetie…” Tiffany cooed but Sooyoung retaliated.

“Don’t sweetie me…I know what you guys are talking about behind me…you could have just said it in my face…”

“Hunny…” Hyoyeon hugged Sooyoung tighter. “It’s not true…don’t think that way…there’s something in you, and I know it… because I feel like I’m connected with you, just like how everyone is connected with each other…”

“Give yourself some time…” Yoona suggested. “Maybe you just need to tap your powers, find your inner circle within you. I know that you’ve been struggling and you’re scared, these emotions and doubts are the things that hinders you from finding what you are…”

“Yoona’s right…” Sunny smiled. “There’s always something Soo…always…”

 

~2:30 AM, Infirmary~

Everyone was sleeping over the edges of the bed where Sooyoung lay. Yuri was soundly sleeping with her head leaned against the side of Sooyoung’s tilted infirmary bed, and then Yoona sat beside her with her head sleeping onto her lap. Tiffany was asleep on Jessica’s back whose leaning onto her arms that rested on the edge of Sooyoung’s bed. Sunny was beside Taeyeon who fell asleep by the table where Hyoyeon sat. Seohyun was on the left side of Sooyoung’s bed edge just beside Tiffany. Everyone was really tired, except for one. Hyoyeon… She was still up, reading the spell book over the lamp. She wasn’t giving up and she was still looking for some answers…Answers that Sooyoung needed. But as she reads on, everything seemed helpless. There wasn’t anything that says about the Unknown.

“Hyo…” Sooyoung woke up again.

Hyoyeon stood up from the table that was few meters away from the bed.

“Hyo…You’re tired…Stop looking for something that you can’t find…”

“Soo…I’m not giving up…”

“Like you said…we’ll figure out something. For now, grab some rest…” Sooyoung reached out for the girl’s hand.

“I can’t. I need to look for something.” Hyoyeon lightly squeezed Sooyoung’s palm.

“Sleep and rest. Please? For me…” Sooyoung pleaded as she stares into Hyoyeon’s tired eyes and face. “Look at you…you’re not glowing unlike before…” She said as she touched Hyoyeon’s cheek.

“Ahrasso…” Hyoyeon smiled. She closed the book and tucked it near Taeyeon’s head. She sat next to Seohyun and held Sooyoung’s hand. “Night…” Hyoyeon smiled, she leaned her head onto Sooyoung’s hand.

“Night…”

Hyoyeon easily dozed off. Sooyoung giggled. Hyoyeon was really really tired. She lightly leaned her soft lips onto Hyoyeon’s head. “Night…I love you too…” Sooyoung whispered.

Hyoyeon didn’t open her eyes but Sooyoung felt Hyoyeon lightly squeezed her hand in respond. They were always like this, Sooyoung usually is the one who expresses her feelings, but Hyoyeon responds through actions and body language.

 

Candles and Sanctuary