Chapter 12

I Am The Prince

“Making so much noise at night,”

I jump when I hear Kai say the words, blushing.  “Were you spying on me?”

“Nah, I just passed by,” He pats my back and proceeds to sit on my couch, legs on the table.  “So, got anything to tell me?”

I dry my hair and drape my towel over my shoulder, taking the seat on the sofa beside Kai.  “Nah, nothing,”

Kai scoffs and looks at me in disbelief.  “Excuse me?

I cackle and lie down, putting my hand behind my head and on my stomach.  “Just kidding,” I sigh contentedly.  “How much did you see, exactly?”

“From playing in the water until the kisses,” Kai says, the grin evident in his voice.

“I hate you,”

“I know, I know,”

“I like her,”

“Well, duh,”

“So what else do I have to tell you?”

“Nothing else, really,”

I sit up abruptly and gape at Kai, throwing him a seething look before turning my head very slowly towards the door, and to my fear, there stands my mother in her nightgown, leaning against the door frame.  She studies her nails and lifts up her gaze towards me, and I flinch at her look.

“I’m going to kill you,” I say through gritted teeth at Kai, who was lounging out at the couch like nothing had happened.  “Hi, mom,” I smile at her.

“Hi?” She asks, stepping towards the sofa.  “You tell Kai that you like a woman and you say ‘hi’ to me?”

“I-I’m sorry,” I clear my throat, sitting straight-backed. 

She sits across from me and crosses her legs, her arm draped across the backrest very intimidatingly.  “You may leave, Kai,”

Kai stands up and bows at her. 

“N-no, he can stay..” My voice goes unrecognized as Kai slips out the door, leaving me in the room with my mother.

“What’s her name?” My mother asks.

“H-Hana,” I answer.

“Age?”

“19 this year,”

“Occupation?”

I hesitate, but answer anyways.  “Stable and house keeper,”

I look up when my mother doesn’t ask anymore questions and blink when I see her delighted expression.  “My dear boy is in love!”

“W-wait, you’re not angry?” I stutter, aghast.

“Kai, come in!” She yells.

Kai quickly runs over from the door to the counch, an excited grin on his face.  “Hell no, she’s not,”

“Of course, not, Kyungsoo, have you gone mad?” My mother grins along but quickly pouts.  “I’m your mother, why didn’t you tell me first?”

“Kai here,” I blow a sigh of relief, but glare at Kai.  “Just manages to pop out at the wrong times so he accidentally found out,”

“The right times, Kyungsoo,” Kai chuckles.

I kick him in the shin and laugh in satisfaction at his pain.  “I didn’t want to tell you until I was absolutely sure,”

“And now you are?” My mother jumps on her seat.

“Oh you don’t know the story of it, mom,” Kai addresses my mother. 

I forgot to tell you that Kai was a child my father had adopted.  All of us loved him like a son and a brother, thus the way he addresses my mother.  I’m going to tell you about it later.  After I’m done with all this.

“Shut up, Kai,” I say quickly.

“Right, you want to tell her the best part where she kissed you,”

My mother squeals loudly.  “She kissed you?!”

“Yes!”

No!”

Kai and I yell at the same time and he gives me an incredulous look that has are-you-really-going-to-lie-because-I-saw-what-you-did-okay written all over it.

“Okay, shut up, Kai, I told you to shut up didn’t I?” I run a frustrated hand through my hair.  “Well, yeah, she kissed me, on the forehead and on the cheek,”

My mother fans herself, fangirling over my sentences.  “I’m going to faint soon,” She leans forward, curious.  “Did she just kiss kiss you or did she kiss you for something?”

 “The first one was to pay me back for kissing hers back in the sta—Man, I shouldn’t have said that,”

Both my mother and Kai are gaping at me and they quickly grin wider than humanely possible, jumping in their seats while, in turn, exclaim ‘He kissed her too,’ ‘My boy is a man now,’ ‘I can’t believe it’ ‘He seriously, oh my God,’ and then nod their heads, urging me to continue.

“And then the second one was to cheer me up,” I answer.  “I told her about dad,”

The two hyper human beings immediately settled down after exchanging looks and my mother quietly asks with a smile on her face.  “What did she say to you?”

“She said that if dad was alive, he would be very proud of me,” A smile crept its way onto my face as I recall her expression and the way she held my hand in hers, the way she wiped my tear away.  Cheesy, but hey, no woman (except my mother) has ever done that to me.  Especially say those words.

“Darn all this,” My mother stands, and crosses her arms.  “I’m seeing this girl no matter what,”

“I’m seeing her too,” Kai follows my mother’s example and she fistbumps him, meeting my eyes with a grin.

“Call her to lunch tomorrow, would you?”

“Bu—“

“No buts,” The two say, high fiving each other as they leave my room.

There are two sides to my feelings right now;

The one that pities Hana for having to go through this,

And the other that’s kind of excited to show the people I love the most about the girl I’m falling in love with.