My Only One

The Pain of Love

Hyori was on her way to her orphanage. Her parents died when she was 6. But, she never got sad of her parent’s dead. She already received so much love from her parents and taught many stuff by them. Especially to help those in needs. And she always did it.

“Aish, I’ll get nag when I get home” said Hyori looking at her watch. She was crossing when she saw a girl younger than her ran to the road. That girl didn’t see a car coming towards her since she was running after her soccer ball.

“Yah, be careful!” shouted Hyori. She ran to that girl and pushed that girl away. The car coming towards her and a scream was all she remembered before everything turned dark.

 

“You are lucky you only get a light twist on your leg. Many died after being hit by a car” nagged the doctor. Hyori just smiled  innocently at him.

“All you need is a month rest in here and you are ready to go” said the doctor. Hyori nodded and the doctor left the room. Not long, the nurse came to move her to another room.

“We already call your orphanage and they already done all the payment needed. Just relax and rest more so you can heal faster” said the nurse before left Hyori in her new room

She looked around the room and saw a curtain beside her. She was so curious until she moved the curtain to the side. A boy, probably a year older than her, sleeping peacefully there. He was so gorgeous and handsome that she couldn’t take her eyes off him.

“Stop looking at me already. You just make a fool of yourself. Turn around and let me sleep peacefully again” said that boy still with his eyes closed

Hyori scoffed and put the curtain to the way it was before. She was so irritated by that guy. She cursed her bad luck of having that guy as a roommate for a month. “What a jerk” mumbled her

 

The next day…

“Excuse me but, can I know who that guy beside me is?” whispered Hyori to the nurse. She didn’t want that annoying guy to hear her.

“Ah, him. His name is Kris Wu and he is 18 yo. He has been a patient here ever since little. He suffers a heart failure and almost never get out of this hospital. He’s waiting for a heart transplant so he can live more longer” whispered the nurse back. Somehow Hyori felt pity towards that guy.

“How long is he predicted to live?” asked Hyori

“Not more than 25 yo. That’s why he desperately needs a heart transplant to live. We don’t know of maybe he can live less or more than 25” Hyoei felt super duper bad now. That guy had such a cruel fate.

“And why is his attitude so bad?” asked Hyori again

“Because he has no friend in here or school. He comes to hospital often that he has no much time in school. And he never really bother to make any friend. Once he said he has no intention to make one since he will be dead later. He doesn’t want to make anyone sad when he’s dead” answered the nurse. Hyori nodded her head. “What about his parents?”

“His dad is the head doctor here and his mom busy with work so he rarely see his parents. Please excuse me, I have other patient to look after” excused the nurse. She took her note and left the room. Hyori kept looking at the curtain. Thinking if she needed to talk with that annoying guy again or not. In the end, she decided to talk to that guy again.

“Hey, sorry if I interrupt your sleep yesterday” apologized Hyori. Kris turn around and looked at her. “Good, now don’t interrupt me”

“YA! Your attitude so bad. I’m trying to make a conversation with you” said Hyori. Kris just looked at her for a second before turned away.

“I don’t wanna talk with you. Now, shut up and leave me at peace” said Kris. Hyori pouted and tried to walk to his bed. She clenched her hand on the table for support. Kris looked at her like ‘Are you crazy? Walk with a twisted leg?’

“Let me be your friend” said Hyori suddenly. Kris was shocked for a moment before back to his usual cold expression.

“I know you don’t want anyone to be sad when you leave but, aren’t you lonely? Everyone needs friend in life. And i’m willing to be one for you” continued Hyori standing in front of Kris. Kris turned to other direction and Hyori followed.

“Go back to your bed already! You look like you can fall any time” said Kris finally looked back at her. She shrugged and went back sitting on her bed.

“So, let’s be friend, okay? I promise I’ll be a good friend” said Hyori. Kris went silent but he didn’t reject too. “I’ll take that as a yes then”

“Whatever. Just don’t bother me again” said Kris closing his eyes again. Hyori was all smiling

“Then, from now on, i’ll call you Krissy. And my name is Hyori. Let’s be good friend” Kris didn’t say anything, he kept his eyes closed. Hyori shrugged and put on her headphone.

 


“The most painful thing is….knowing that you can’t be together with  the one you love”


 

“Krissy, it’s been a week and all you do is just laying on your bed! Let’s go get some air” said Hyori. She could stand and walk but only fo awhile.

“Shut up. Let me be” said Kris watching TV. Hyori scoffed and stood up and walked to Kris. “Come on, don’t be such a lazy guy and accompany me to the park”

“I don’t wanna and remember that you can’t walk for long. Just rest already” said Kris still watching TV. Hyori snatch the remote from Kris and turned off the TV. Kris glared at her.

“Accompany me or I won’t return this” threatened Hyori. But all Kris did is laying on his bed as usual. She started to pull Kris off from his bed.

“Are you crazy? Stop it! We both might fall down” said Kris when Hyori kept pulling him. Since she still didn’t stop, Kris pulled her too. She lost balance and fell on top of Kris.

Hyori wanna yelled but she was embarrassed by their current position. She was freakingly on top of Kris. She quickly pulled away but Kris held her.

“Y-ya, let go of me” said Hyori trying all her might to hide her blush

“If i let you, you’ll start pulling me again” said Kris

“B-but…okay then, I’ll go on my own. Happy now?” said Hyori. Kris let her off and she quickly got off of Kris. She sticked her tongue at him before walking to the door.

“Weird childish girl” mumbled Kris when Hyori left. He turned the TV on again. But his mind kept wandering to Hyori. He turned off the TV and decided to follow Hyori.

 

“Wah, what an awesome park. And so many cute little kids too. Stupid Krissy for missing this kind of view everyday” said Hyori while walking. She loved little kid and decided to sit on a bench and looking at them playing. Suddenly a little boy came up to her.

“Noona, are you new here?” asked him. Hyori nodded. She patted the spac beside her and that little boy sat there.

“How about you? Are you new to?” asked Hyori

“I’m not a patient here. I’m here to visit my brother. But, he probably not want me to come again” answered that little boy a little sad

“Aww, don’t say that. Your brother is weird if he doesn’t want a cute little brother like you to visit him” said Hyori trying to cheer him up

“I don’t know, we never really spend some time alone. We rarely meet or spend time together since he’s unable to” said that little boy

“Then, noona will treat you ice cream, ne? Wait here, noona will be right back” said Hyori. That little boy nodded and Hyori went to look for an ice cream stall. She found one across and decided to go there.

“What flavor should I buy? Maybe chocolate” mumbled Hyori. She didn’t saw a motorbike coming towards her. A honk made her looked on her right and she gasped seeing a motorbike about to hit her.

Suddenly, someone pulled her from the road. She turned back and saw Kris there. He was glaring at her. “Are you crazy?! You are lucky i’m here to save you! Look around before crossing”

“But, I wanna buy a ice cream across the road” answered Hyori. Kris hit her head lightly and accompanied her to that stall.

“By the way, why are you here? You reject my offer already” said Hyori

“Nothing. I just decided to go out for awhile. Beside, nothing interesting on TV right now” lied Kris. The truth was he was worried about Hyori’s safety so he decided to follow her.

Hyori nodded her head. “Oh, okay then, i’ll accompany you”. Kris just nodded. When Hyori went back to the bench, she saw the boy still sitting there. She was about to run but Kris held her.

“Pabo, you shouldn’t run. You really are a careless person” said Kris. Hyori pouted but continued walking. Unknown to Hyori, Kris smiled a little seeing her pouting.

“Noona, you are back! And with….hyung?” said that little boy confused

“Krissy is your brother? You two know each other?” asked Hyori shocked. Those two boys nodded. “How come Krissy has a dongsaeng as cute as you when he is so not cute? Poor you”. Kris glared at Hyori while that little boy laughed. After they spent time together in the park, those two decided to go back to their room.

“I have so much fun today. We should do this more often” said Hyori. Kris actually having so much fun too. And for once, he forgot all about his sickness,

“Pabo” said Kris out of the blue. Hyori glared at him. “Jerk!”

 


“The most painful thing is….knowing that you can’t be together with  the one you love”


 

“Hyori, congratulation, next week, you can leave the hospital already” said the doctor. Hyori wa smiling when inside she was sad. Somehow, she didn’t want to leave Kris alone.

“Ne, gomawo for all your help” said Hyori. The doctor left and Hyori decided to lay on her bed. She lost mood to do anything. She just wanna stay here, beside Kris, everyday.

“You aren’t gona shout or jump around? Or at least do something? You will leave this place soon” said Kris. Hyori just shook her head and turned around. Suddenly, she stood up and walked to the balcony.

“This is the third floor, right?” aske Hyori. Kris nodded and confused. “So, if i ‘accidentally’ fall, i’ll have to stay here longer than, right?” Kris was confused until he finally got it. He quickly stood up and grabbed Hyori just in time.

“Pabo! Are you trying to kill yourself again?! You are a one super stupid girl!” yelled Kris mad. He couldn’t believe Hyori about to do such a stupid stunt.

“Let me go! I’m not gonna die anyway. Probably just another twisted leg again” said Hyori

“Why would you want to jump anyway? Value yourself more!” said Kris still hugging Hyori from the back

“But, i don’t wanna leave this place! I wanna stay here more” said Hyori. Tears somehow began to fall. Kris was shocked seeing her crying. He didn’t know what to do and just let her off. Hyori squatted down and cried. Soon Kris followed.

“I don’t wanna leave! I wanna stay here! I don’t want to leave you alone again. If injuring myself is the only way for me to stay, then let me. I’ll do it as long as i can stay beside you” said Hyori in between her crying. Kris sighed and hugged her.

“Pabo Hyori. You can visit me anytime you want. I won’t go anywhere. Just don’t hurt yourself, okay?” said Kris. Hyori nodded inside his hug. “You are important to me”

Hyori looked up at Kris. “I am?” asked Hyori. Kris nodded and for once, he smiled. Hyori stopped laughing and hugged Kris back.

“You are to me too. And you look so much better smiling” said Hyori. Suddenly, his face turned serious. “Hyori, ever since you came, everything changed. The room not so empty anymore, everything looks more better. More colourful and more exciting. I stop pitying myself and stop thinking about my sickness too when i’m around you. I know that all i do is to annoy you. But, i love you. I know i shouldn’t have this feelings for anyone. And i know i probably will leave you forever in the future. But, if you allow, will you let me love you and be loved by you? Until death do us apart?”

Hyori was between happy and sad. Kris words made her realized that Kris was different from her. Kris was sick, and maybe would leave her soon in the future. But, would she reject Kris? Not in a single chance. She just love him too much.

“Id love to be your girlfriend, Krissy. I love you too and i promise  to be strong for you. Nothing will separate us” said Hyori smiling

 

“Are you all ready to leave?” asked Kris. Hyori nodded. She still didn’t want to leave Kris alone. As if he could read her mind, Kris patted Hyori’s head.

“I’ll be fine here, don’t worry, okay? I promise you i’ll try to be more cheerful and be more happy. Beside, i have you now” said Kris hugging Hyori

“But…. I promise you i’ll visit you everyday, from morning ‘till night, as long as i can. I promise to be more careful too” said Hyori smiling. She wanna looked tough in front of Kris though inside she was crying.

“Hyori, your ride is here.           Get ready soon okay?” said the nurse before leaving. Kris nodded and Hyori picked up her bags.

“I guess…see you soon?” asked Hyori. Kris nodded. “See you soon”. Hyori walking to the door when Kris suddenly hugged her. “I love you so much Hyori. Thanks for everything you gave me”

Hyori turned back and hugged him. “I love you so much too Krissy. Thanks for being my friend and boyfriend”. They look at another before kissing. Hyori waved before finally left that room. A single tear dropped to her cheek.

 


“The most painful thing is….knowing that you can’t be together with  the one you love”


 

Hyori fulfilled her promise. She came to the hospital everyday and spent many romantic and memorable moments together with Kris. She succeeded on never dropped a single tear in front of Kris and be strong. She always treasured every single second with Kris because she didn’t know if maybe the next day, she wouldn’t see him again.

“I told you before i’ll be strong, right? I never cry and i always try my best to smile in front of you. But for now, can i please cry for once? I’ve been holding it for years and all this just make me want to cry” said Hyori as tears began to fall

She was standing in front of Kris' grave. Yesterday, after suffering for  a week in the ICU, Kris finally breathed his last breath. Hyori was able to hold her tears when Kris in ICU. But now, when Kris left him forever, she just couldn't hold it anymore. She knew this day will come soon, but she never wanted this day to come. All she wante was to be beside Kris forever and built a family. But, it all just a mere dream now. Kris no longer around to be with her.

"I promise you i'll keep on living and be more careful and to love you forever. I'll never ever forget you, Krissy. Thanks for loving me all this long"