Part 26- Part 28 What I Did For Love

What I Did For Love ?

November 23, 1998
“This meeting of Sechskies is now in session,” announced L.Joe to the main members of the group along with the new recruits. His voice got their attention and they quickly focused their attention on L.Joe. L.Joe scanned to see if Min Sung was there. He was. L.joe gave a little smile to him. He didn’t know why but when he looks at Min Sung his mind would replace Min Sung’s face with Chorong’s. “So any new business?” he asked the members. “Yes,” answered Daniel. “The Black Dragons killed some of our members and took away some of our businesses.”  “Damn it!” yelled L.Joe as he pounded his fist on the table. “We’ll just have to see that this Black Dragon matter be resolved. Mickey, Daniel, Minsoo and the two new recruits deal with the businesses. ChanHee, ChanHyun and Min Sung will come with me.” Everyone looked at L.Joe strangely. Sung Hoon queried. “Uh, hyung. You want to take Min Sung along?” L.Joe glared at him.“Yeah. Anyone here have any objections?” No one answered. “Meeting adjourned,” announced L.Joe and everyone went to work.

 

I followed the Black Kies to a dark alley. I was surprised L.Joe wanted to take me along, considering I was one of the weakest members. I thought I would get to work with the White Kies in businesses. Sechskies was divided into the Black Kies for their shady businesses and White Kies for their legal businesses. “Hey kid,” said ChanHee to me. “What is it?” He handed me a gun. “Use this to protect yourself.” My eyes widened as I held the cold metal. ‘Please don’t let me use it’, I prayed silently. L.Joe walked over to Min Sung. “Okay, the co-leaders of Black Dragons are meeting around here. You’ll recognize them by the dragon tattoos on their arms. If you see them, just shoot them as they come out.” “But Andrew hyung, I...“ but my words were cut off the sound of gunshots.

 

- POW!
“Get down!” yelled L.Joe as he covered me. Then he started firing his rounds. I covered my ears and watched L.Joe in disbelief. He had shot 4 people and killed 3. L.Joe stood up smiling. I couldn’t believe it. I was in love with a cold-blooded killer. ChAnHee and Chanhyun killed some other opposition members and L.Joe told them to kill every single Black Dragon member. One of the Black Dragon member laid hurt on the ground. L.Joe pulled him up by the collar of his shirt and pointed a gun to his head. “Tell me who’s your leader punk or I’ll blow your brains out.” The young boy was whimpering. I felt sorry for him.
“Please don’t kill me. My leader is Eun Tae Won.” “Who the hell is that?” asked L.Joe angrily. “What the hell does he have against me?” “He’s the godson of Mr. Eun, who’s one of the heirs of the Eun Hotel Empire and he's back to get the inheritance back from you.” I listened to what the boy said. I never knew that L.Joe’s uncle had a godson. From what I had heard, L.joe’s uncle had passed away two months ago and he had a heir. ‘The heir is the leader of Black Dragon’, I figured out. “That bastard,” said L.Joe. “He’s dead and he still has someone after me.” When L.Joe wasn’t looking, the Black Dragon boy had pulled out a knife, ready to stab L.Joe. I didn’t have time to think so I reacted instantly. I shot the boy. He fell back in pain but managed to get up and run away. L.Joe looked at me surprised. He gave me a smile.

“Good job, Min Sung,” he said walking over to me and patted me on the back. I was appalled at what I had done. I couldn’t answer him so I just handed him back the gun. Just then ChanHee and Chanhyun came back to us. “Got them all hyung,” said ChanHee smiling as he did some fancy handwork with his gun. "Good,” said L.Joe. “Min Sung just saved my life. I knew it was a good idea to bring him along.” “Really?” asked ChanHyun. “Nice work kid.” Then he punched me lightly on the shoulder. When we made it back to the hotel, I ran into my room, used my respirator and swallowed a pill. I took a shower immediately. I felt so dirty because of what I had done. I knew this was going to be only one of the many dirty work I would have to do to stay with L.Joe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A few months later…
During the past few months, ever since I saved L.Joe’s life, he began to trust me and confided in me about everything. I was like his new best friend. Sechskies continued to travel to many places and recruited many new members. War between Sechskies and Black Dragon broke out. Many businesses were shut down and more members were killed from both sides. All the bloodshed and fighting was getting to me but I held on. All the members of Sechskies accepted me but sometimes I overhear them whispering that I’m gay. I didn’t care as long as I had L.Joe.

 

April 30, 1999
Finally, after many days of hard work, Sechskies finally got a day of rest. The leaders always hang out together but L.Joe always included me. We were at this fancy restaurant and were all having a good time. MinSoo was telling us funny jokes. He stopped in the middle of a joke as he saw the Black Dragon leaders enter the restaurant. Everyone felt the overwhelming tension. The Black Dragons sat down across us. Ji Won and Tae Won were glaring at each other. Underneath the tables, we pulled out our guns. I knew the Black Dragons were doing the same. We didn’t know which side fired the first shot but before we knew it, bullets were flying everywhere. L.Joe covered me as we ran out of the restaurant safely. We met up with the other Sechskies in a dark alley. The Black Dragons were still chasing us. “Damn it hyung! What should we do?” asked Daniel. “Kill them all!” shouted L.Joe. “There are too many of them,”Minsoo shouted back. “Let’s just hide in this motel.” We all ran and hid into a cheap motel. The Black Dragons lost us and continued searching.
“I don’t believe this!” said Ji Won furiously. “I, Andrew Eun, of Sechskies have to hide in this cockroach motel like a dog or something!”“Calm down,” I said to him gently, patting his back. “It’s not so bad.” “Yeah hyung,” said Sung Hoon. “It’s only for one night. Besides, we’ll make them pay for this.” All of us looked around. There was only one bed. I could tell none of us wanted the floor because it was disgusting and reeked of something. “I ain’t taking the floor!” all of us shouted in unison. “There’s only one bed though,” said ChanHyun. “Look on the bright side,” said MinSoo as he laid out the sheets on the bed. “At least it’s king size.” I nodded my head. “It’ll be tight but we’ll all have to try and fit in.” Soon ChanHee,MinSoo, L.Joe, me, Sung Hoon, Daniel and ChanHyun laid down side by side uncomfortably on the bed. We were lying down one by one and the others looked strangely at me as I ran over to L.Joe's side so I can lie next to him.

 

Soon everyone fell asleep except me. I made sure everyone was asleep before I made my move. I bent over to kiss L.joe lightly on the lips. Then I laid my head down on his chest to hear his heart beat. I sighed contentedly. Then suddenly, I felt L.joe’s leg twitch. Oh no! I knew what he was about to do. His 360 degree kick. I placed my entire body on top of his because I didn’t want to get kicked.

As Ji Won did his 360, he kicked everyone off the bed except me. As always, when L.Joe was done, he had a huge smile on his face. Then he held onto me tightly. I was overwhelmed with happiness. The others must have been exhausted because none of them woke up except MinSoo. He opened his eyes sleepily and said, “Huh?” “You’re dreaming,” I whispered to him. He nodded his head and went back to sleep. Soon I drifted off to sleep.

 

May 1, 1999
Next Morning…
L.Joe began to stir. He woke up finding Min Sung holding onto him tightly. L.joe widened his eyes and gently unraveled Min Sung’s arms and legs off of him.
The guys were already speculating that is Min Sung gay and he didn’t want them to think he’s gay too. He sat up and saw 5 of the Sechskies leaders lying on the floor. Then Sung Hoon began to wake up. He sat up and looked around.“Gross! How the hell did I end up down here?” L.Joe shrugged his shoulders. Then minsoo woke up. “Damn, my hurts. It felt like someone kicked it last night.” Then one by one everyone woke up. “P.U.!,” yelled Daniel.
“This floor stinks!” Everyone started laughing. “Sorry guys,” said L.Joe laughing. “I must have done a 360 degree kick and kicked you all off.” “How come you didn’t fall off Min Sung?” asked ChanHee. Uh, oh, I thought. “I did,” I answered him. “But I got back up and went to sleep on the bed again.” “Really?” asked MinSoo. “I didn’t even know. I just continued sleeping.” L.Joe began to study Min Sung. It was weird but somehow L.Joe had a feeling that Min Sung knew he does a 360 degree kick in his sleep. ‘But that’s impossible,’ he thought to himself. ‘Only Chorong knows that and why didn’t Min Sung say anything about me kicking him?’ L.Joe didn’t know what was going on with Min Sung but he knew he had to find out.

We all got up and got ready to leave the room. The coast seemed clear so we walked out unarmed. Big mistake. There was an ambush waiting for us.
“Disperse!” yelled L.Joe and we all ran separate ways. Black Dragons chased after each one of us. I lost the Black Dragon member that was chasing me but I didn’t want to go back the hotel room without L.Joe so I turned back to get him. When I found L.Joe, he was cornered with his back agains a wall by a Black Dragon. It was their leader, Tae Won. He was telling L.Joe to bow down and beg for mercy but L.Joe ended up spitting in his face. Tae Won got angry and pulled the knife out to cut L.Joe's throat. I ran as fast as I could and knocked Tae Won down. He dropped the knife and fell onto the floor with me. As he fell, he used the handle of the knife to knock L.Joe unconscious. Tae Won got up glaring at me. “Do you know whom you’re messing with?” he asked me angrily. I glared back at him without flinching. “I’ll make you pay for hurting L.Joe.” “Oh you must be the gay Sechskies member I’ve heard so much about,” said Tae Won laughing. “You’re afraid your leader would die leaving you alone?” That made me really angry. I didn’t care that he called me gay but calling L.Joe a ticked me off. Since he was distracted, I grabbed his hand which was holding the knife and made him stab himself. He cried out in shock and pain. He pulled the knife out of him.

 

Tae Won pushed me away and cuts me on the knee with his knife. I fell down and saw him raise the knife above my head. I was going to die. Then suddenly a voice screamed out, “Gang !” Upon hearing the scream, Tae Won ran off. I looked over to see who it was. It was Kyung Hee screaming for the cops. I saw her sighed when looked at me and started walking away. “Kyung Hee!” I screamed for her. Kyung Hee looked at me strangely as she approached me. “Do I know you?” I nodded my head and motioned for her to come nearer. When she did, I whispered in her ear, “It’s me, Mina.” “Chorong? But you’re a guy!” she yelled back at me. “Look at me closely.” When she did, her eyes widened as she grabbed hold of me. “Chorong, it is you!” “Please help me bring L.Joe back to the hotel.” Kyung Hee look disgusted. “What are you doing with the Sechskies leader and why are you dressed like a guy?” “I’ll explain later,” I told her. We put L.Joe’s arms around us so we can carry him back. Along the way we found Sung Hoon unconscious on the ground, bleeding. I set L.Joe down gently and lifted Sung Hoon up. “Sung Hoon!” I shaked him. He was hurt badly. “Kyung Hee, please do me a favor. You carry Sung Hoon while I carry L.Joe.” Kyung Hee looked at me reluctantly before nodding. I lifted L.Joe onto my back and carried him back to the Nam Hotel. My leg was still bleeding from the cut and I was limping. “Chorong, can you carry him?” Kyung Hee asked me in concern. “I’ll be fine,” I answered her as we made it back. I took L.Joe back to his room while Kyung Hee took Sung Hoon back to his. I washed L.Joe’s cuts and nursed his wounds. When he was bandaged, I sat down on the chair next to his bed.

 

Suddenly, I couldn’t breathe. I am about to be hit by one of my attacks and I didn’t have my respirator with me. My heart was aching so painfully that I was gasping in pain. However, I remembered L.Joe had a respirator. I searched his pockets and sure enough, there it was. I started pumping it quickly and air entered my lungs. My vision cleared and I began to breathe easier. Then I put it back into his pocket. My touch made L.Joe stir. He began to wake up. He looked at me. “Min Sung?” he asked weakly. I nodded my head. “Yes, it’s me hyung.”L.Joe lifted himself up. “Where am I?” “We’re back at our hotel.” “Oh,” L.Joe said as he looked at my leg. “What happened to your knee?” I looked down at it. It was bleeding through my pants. “It’s nothing hyung. I’ll be okay in a few days.” “Did Tae Won do this to you?” I nodded my head. L.Joe pounded his fist on his desk. “Damn him! I’ll get him back.” “It’s okay hyung,” I said calming him down. “By the way,” he asked me suddenly, “how did you end up finding me? Weren’t you supposed to come back here by yourself?” His question hit me by surprise. I answered him truthfully. “I came back to look for you because I was worried you might be in danger.” I saw L.Joe look at me awkwardly and inched himself away from me. ‘He thinks I’m gay’, I thought. “Uh, thanks for coming back to save me then,” L.Joe said to Min Sung awkwardly. Min Sung nodded and left his room. L.joe let out a sigh. He loved Min Sung as a friend and definitely nothing more. He didn’t want Min Sung to have any peculiar thoughts. Instinctively, L.Joe reached into his pocket to check to see if his respirator was still there. It was but it was different. L.Joe stared at it with wide eyes. His once filled respirator was now only half full with air. Someone had been using it.