Part 17-Part 20 What I Did For Love

What I Did For Love ?

[Seoul, Korea]
July 26, 1997
Ji Won traced the ‘C’ scar on his back.
‘Damn,’ he thought.
‘I miss Chorong so much.’ He sent out one of his men to retrieve news about her and if they could, get her here to him in Korea.

L.Joe had it all. Money and power. The only thing that was missing was L.Joe. So much had happened to L.Joe as he recalled what happened. L.Joe and Sung Hoon made it to Seoul, Korea. With L.Joe’s leadership skills and Sung Hoon’s smooth talking, they end up getting a lot of businesses and putting others out of business. Money was not enough for L.Joe. He needed power so he created Sechskies, where he was the leader and Sung Hoon was his 2nd-in command. He and Sung Hoon managed to eliminate the group Quiksilver on their own and gained the respect and loyalty of the two members Bang Min Soo  and Lee Chae Hin. Along the way, they found Ahn Daniel and Yong Chan Hyun wandering in the streets. Ahn Daniel proved to be a genius and Yong Chan Hyun was handy in finding information. L.Joe knew they were enough. L.Joe had hundreds of men under him n Sechskies but they were the main leaders with L.Joe as the head. They committed a lot of crimes but no evidence was ever found to convict them. Just then there was a knock on his door, interrupting his thoughts “Come in,” said L.Joe. Yong Chan Hyun came in. “I have news for you, boss,” he said. “Well what is it? What did you find out about  Chorong?” LJoe asked. Yong Chan Hyun looked down and was hesitatant in his reply. “I’m afraid it’s bad news.” Those words made L.Joe panic. “Yong Chan Hyun, answer me now!” yelled L.Joe with rage. L.Joe’s yell scared Chan Yun so he blurted it out. “Park Chorong is dead. She drowned while she was swimming in the ocean. Her body has not been found and is still missing.” L.Joe fell back in his seat in shock. 'Chorong’s dead? No, anyone but Chorong,’ he thought. Chan Hyun knew it was a good time to leave so he left L.Joe in his office. “Chorong!!!” L.Joe screamed out of his window in pain. His cries echoed throughout the city of Seoul.

 

I finally made it to Chejudo, Korea. I didn’t know where to look for L.Joe so anywhere is fine. I was never a lucky person. I couldn’t find any signs of L.Joe there so I traveled to Inchun City. My search for L.Joe continued for another year. During that time I had traveled to many cities like Guam, Pusan, etc. It must have been a gift from God because one day my search was over…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 21, 1998
I had just finish my overtime shift at the Nam Hotel. It was pretty ironic because my whole family spend their lives working in hotels and the biggest hotel in Seoul has our family name. I went into the workers' lounge to take a break and pour myself some tea. I sat down and read the headlines. ‘Sechskies are to open a conference broadcasting live on Channel 6 today’ I rolled my eyes. Not them again. They were the notorious mafia lead by Andrew Lee. I shuddered. I can’t believe the leader has the same last name as my beloved L.Joe. Actually Sechskies was controlled by 6 leaders. They committed a lot of crimes and were always challenging the authorities. They had a lot of power and no one could take their pictures without their consent. However, a lot of people knew what they looked like. I didn’t care. I was too busy looking for L.Joe to notice them.

 

A fellow worker named So Kyung Hee came in. “Hey,” she said, patting me lightly on the knee. “On break?” I took a sip and nodded. “Me too,” she said smiling. I smiled back at her. Kyung Hee was actually one of the nicest people at the hotel. Most of them are cold and distant and are just worried about how much tips they can get. Kyung Hee picked up the TV remote and turned to Channel 6. “Hey Chorong, they are supposed to show the Sechskies conference today. I wonder how they look like.” I nodded and watched with her. When the clock struck 9, I felt my heart had stopped and it was not from my heart problems. I stared at the face that was giving a cocky smile to the camera. L.Joe. Slowly the camera pulled out revealing the 5 other leaders of Sechskies. I recognized Sung Hoon. He and L.Joe looked completely different but I still recognized them. L.Joe had his hair dyed completely blonde while Sung Hoon’s hair was streaked. Kyung Hee and I watched them in silence as they began to talk. L.Joe and the others introduced themselves. Then the camera pointed directly at L.joe. To most people he would appear to be like an evil gang leader but in my eyes he was a beautiful angel. If it was ever possible, L.Joe looked finer than ever before.

“Chorong, are you okay?” asked Kyung Hee, as she waved a hand in front of my face. “Huh?” I asked looking at her. “Oh, I’m fine. Just listening to what they have to say.” I pointed to LJoe on the screen. “Who is he?” “That’s Andrew Lee,” she answered me. I stared at L.Joe somemore. He had changed his name and so did Sung Hoon. No wonder I couldn’t find them. Kyung Hee caught me staring so she smiled at me. “The leader is cute huh?” I blushed. “Yeah.” “Too bad in real life he’s such a jerk.” “He is not!” I yelled at her. Kyung Hee scooted her seat away in shock. I apologized right away. “Sorry Kyung Hee, I didn’t mean to yell at you.” She had a confused look on her face but she said, “Uh, it’s okay Chorong.” I pulled a finger to my lips.“Shh… Let’s listen to what they have to say…” L.Joe began talking. “This is Sechskies speaking to all you losers out there watching us. We just want to say that we’re open to hiring new ‘employees’. We usually travel around to our many hotels but you’ll find us if you have the right connections. Also a word to the police of Korea. Why are you picking on us?“ L.Joe asked sarcastically. “We’re good, law-abiding citizens.” L.Joe folded his hands together and gave a little bow. Then all of the Sechskies leaders started laughing.


“Oh my gosh! Look at him!” yelled Kyung Hee and pointed to Sung Hoon on the T.V. screen. “Look at that stupid smile and that erted laugh. Kekeke…” Kyung Hee made a poor impression of Sung Hoon’s laugh and it made me laugh. ‘Geez’, I thought. ‘Sung Hoon would kill her if he knew she made fun of his trademark smile’. The show ended a little too soon for me but L.Joe did say he would be visiting many hotels and the hotel I'm working for is the biggest one of them all. He has to come here. I went back to work and waited for him to come.

 

L.Joe entered the main doors of the Nam Hotel and headed towards the lobby. He let out a sigh. Being in a hotel brought a lot of memories back to him. He remembered how he would take Chorong to the hotels to trash it or slide down the long stairway banisters. But those carefree days are over. His only love had died and he no longer has the heart to love anyone else. Ever since the news of  Chorong’s death, L.Joe began to develop a passion for anything he thinks is related to her. The things include stuff like her hairbrush, the same type of lip gloss she uses, her little respirator, etc. There were times when he had to give -to-mouth resuscitation if there's no respirator around. L.Joe smiled as he remembered that she had told him that she gave him her first kiss. Chorong never went out with any guys so it made him really happy but he also found it very strange. He didn’t want to give her any ideas about dating other guys so he never asked.

L.Joe had changed his name to Andrew. It’s to symbolize that L.Joe died with Chorong and Andrew replaced him. Sung Hoon wanted to change his name to Ricky but L.Joe wouldn’t let him. L.Joen only allowed him to change it if it had the letter ‘C’ so Sung Hoon ended up changing it to Andy instead. “Hey hyung! Over here!” shouted Sung Hoon. L.Joe looked over at his five friends. He walked over to them and was surprised at what he saw. “What the hell is this?” he asked angrily. Every single one of them had a girl in each arms. “What do you guys think you’re doing?” he asked as he strode over to them. “Come on hyung,” said Ahn Niel. “Lighten up.” “Yeah,” said Chan Hee “We worked hard all day and now let’s have a little fun.” L,Joe rolled his eyes and then he saw two girls wrap their arms around him. He smiled. “Yeah, I guess.” “Alright!” they all shouted. They like it when L.Joe is in a good mood.

From where I was standing, I felt as though someone had stabbed me with a knife. L.Joe looked so happy with those 2 girls sitting on both sides of his lap. I stared at my reflection in the hotel mirror. Big, glassy eyes, pale skin and waist-length black hair. I looked kind of like a ghost. 'Not much to look at,' I thought sighing sadly. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder and I slowly turned around. “What are you looking at?” asked Kyung Hee. Whew. I let out a sigh of relief. “They’re here,” I whispered to her. “Who?” she asked, looking over my shoulder. “Sechskies.”“Oh. So you want to go serve them?” I shook my head quickly. Kyung Hee laughed. “Okay. Don’t get so worked up, Chorong. I’ll do it.” She took a waitress pad and headed over to their table. I remained in the corner watching them.

 

“Hi, my name is Kyung Hee and I’ll be your waitress today. May I take your order?” All the SechsKies members looked up to the pretty, young girl who had just approached them. Instantly Min Soo made the 2 girls on his lap move away. He looked up at Kyung Hee, giving her his best smile. “I don’t know what I want for dinner, but do you want to be my dessert?” The other 5 Sechskies members laughed while Kyung Hee rolled her eyes. “That’s so cute. Must have took you all day to think that one up huh?” “Ooh,” shouted Chan Hee. “This one has a mouth.” Min Soo just smiled. “Feisty. I like it.” Then he pinched Kyung Hee’s side playfully. She moved away, glaring. “Hey don’t touch me!” “Come on babe. Go out with me. I’ll show you a good time.” “Hell no!” Kyung Hee shouted back in his face. Then L.Joe stood up. “Don’t talk to my friend like that,” he said in a low threatening voice. “Or else I’ll have you fired.” L.Joe’s glare made Kyung Hee move back a little but she answered back anyway. “You can’t fire me! I quit!” She handed Ahn Daniel her apron and pad and stomped over to me in the dark corner. “Stupid, lousy jerks,” she whispered to me. “I know,” I whispered back, patting her shoulder. Suddenly, I caught L.Joe staring at me. I didn’t know what to say or do so I just left.

 

L.Joe stared at the girl who was talking to Kyung Hee. ‘She looks like Mina,’ he thought. ‘But can’t be.’ “Hyung,” said Sung Hoon. “What are you looking at?”
“Her,” said L.Joe, pointing in Kyung Hee’s and Chorong’s direction. “You like my waitress too?” asked Sung Hoon, pouting. “No,” said L.Joe, shaking his head. “Her friend. Doesn’t she look like Chorong?” Sung Hoon glanced at the person L.joe was pointing to and watched her walk away. “No...” said Sung Hoon slowly. “That girl’s hair is much longer and Chorong has a nicer body. That chick looks like a stick.” L.Joe cocked an eyebrow at Sung Hoon. “How do you know Chorong had a nice body?” Sung Hoon’s eyes widened. “I don't know... Just guessing...Daniel’s calling me. I’ll go see what he wants,” Sung Hoon said quickly and ran over to Daniel right away. L.Joe began to chase the girl who just left.

I heard some footsteps following behind me. I quickly turned a corner and entered my room. L.Joe ran after her as fast as he could. He saw the girl turned into a corner and he continued chasing after her. He saw a figure up ahead and he grabbed her by the shoulder. When the girl turned around, she had a surprised expression on her face.“What do you want?” L.Joe looked at the strange girl. She looked nothing like Chorong. “Wrong person.” The girl walked way. L.Joe sighed. ‘Maybe it’s because I miss Chorong so much that I’m beginning to see her everywhere.’ He began to walk back to the lobby in dissapointment.

 

From my hotel room, I watched L.Joe through the peephole in the door. I saw him pat a girl and then walked away with his head bowed down. I went over and sat down on my bed. I let out a sigh. L.Joe doesn’t miss me. He has too many girls with him already. He probably forgotten who I am by now. Tears fell from my eyes and I didn’t even realized it. I quickly wiped them away. I wanted to tell myself that I hate L.Joe but I couldn’t because then I’d just be lying. There was only one thing left for me to do. I stood in front of my bathroom mirror. I can’t be with L.Joe as Chorong but I wanted to be by his side to watch over him. I thought about it for a while and I remembered that they were recruiting new members for Sechskies. I looked at myself. Hmm… If I cut my hair short, put on a cap, wear a pair of sunglasses, have darker skin and lower voice... I can pass off as a guy.So I did it. Within an hour, I had transformed myself into a guy. I checked myself out. As a guy, I didn’t look too bad. I smoothed out my new short hair and tucked it into a cap. Guys wear earrings too so I didn’t have to worry about my earring holes. I wore a couple of T-shirts under my flannel and 2 pairs of boxers under my baggy jeans so I wouldn’t look so scrawny. I checked my make-up that made me looker darker, making sure I was well-covered. I put my sunglasses on. ‘Perfect’, I thought. Now all I have to do is to pass the test to join the gang.