i

A Beautiful Memory

Mood music: (x)

 

“Flight 201 for Japan, boarding now...”

“Flight 916 for the U.S. has been delayed due to heavy rainfall…”

“Please remember not to leave your baggage unattended…”

“Umma! Umma, bali! We’ll miss the plane!...”

“Hello, is this seat taken?...”

 

 

Around me, the airport buzzed with activity. I sat at one of a long row of black chairs, waiting by the gate for my flight. I checked my watch. One and a half hours to kill. So I dug my iPod out of my bookbag, pushed the earbuds into my ears, and hit play. Nell came on first, so I sank back into my seat and let the cascade of music wash over me.

 

Strange… I barely know you, but yet I feel deeply connected to you. Crave... I never had you, but yet I feel so lonely without you.

 

Suddenly, I felt my mood shift into that deep introspection that only this song could bring about. I began to think, to reminisce. All at once, I remembered everything I’d always wanted for but never got, every single word I’d said that I never had the chance to take back, every mistake I made, every moment of pure happiness, every hope, and every regret. Like a tidal wave, it all crashed down on me, and I had no choice but to fall into that warm reverie that brought me both deep emotion and inexplicable satisfaction.

While I stared into space, I vaguely registered movement, and momentarily pulled myself out of my deep well of thoughts to notice a boy take a seat in the row across from me. He was polite, bowing to those around him and smiling widely. As I watched in secret, he sat, made himself comfortable, pulled out a small book, smiled once more to those seated around him, and then got to reading.

And… it was so strange. But I felt compelled to keep watching him. There was something about him that struck me as so… interesting. Sure, he was exceedingly good-looking, and his colorful outfit, complete with a prep-school blazer and bright white pants, definitely complimented his sculpted shape. But I wasn’t so young anymore that that alone would take such a forceful hold on my attention. Rather, there was something else about him…

And then it hit me. He reminded me of someone. Of several someones, actually. Of someones who lived in my past, and yet still kept a place tucked deep in the corners of my heart.

 

Safe… I barely know you, but yet I feel secure when I’m with you. Strange… I don’t even know you but yet I feel so strong and bold when I’m with you.

Beautiful stranger…

 

---