Two

Entwined Hearts

TWO

 

 

[PRESENT]

 

 

 

“I don’t believe it.”

 

“Saera…”

 

            This is not happening. He promised. Lee Hyukjae made a promise to me. I flinch when there is a light, ghostly touch on my hand as a wave of long tresses hit me lightly on my left cheek. The owner of the hair takes a seat beside me; her hand is currently pressing on mine. I glance on my sideway just to meet my best friend’s eyes – have they always looked watery? – and quickly place back my stare to where it is few moments ago. The noises of people murmuring accompany me ever since I step into this building and I just wish it would stop. I know somehow in the line, my name is mentioned. They don’t understand. They don’t feel like the way I do. They… My grip on my mobile device – we buy ours together and they match with Hyukjae’s black ones while mine is white– gradually lessen when my head is pushed slightly towards my left and finally rests on the shoulder of someone who stays with me for so many years. I close my eyes, blocking the voices. She understands.

 

 

 

 

 

[PAST]

 

 

 

 

            If I am to describe Choi’s family gatherings, – oh, so we are family too? – words like ‘small’, ‘cosy’, ‘light’ are nowhere close to be the adjectives. As I take small steps towards the nicely decorated lawn of Choi’s with my best friend beaming on my right, I feel the familiar giddiness surging whenever I am invited to join the event. And it is already been four years. We are talking about the decoration; not that we are expert in this although we do help in providing the flowers when my friend suddenly stops, frowning.

 

“I don’t know she would come.” She says, cold eyes facing in front. When I see the object of her interest, I can help feeling a little bit sympathy towards my friend.

 

“They are friends.” I try to calm her but somehow, I just can’t stop. “So do you.”

 

            With her shaky eyes suppressing the needs to cry, my friend just stomps the hard, stone floor covering in the childish manner before silently laughs. She tosses her hair – the familiar sign of hers – and suddenly, checking my appearance like she doesn’t hurt by my blunt words. She then frowns again and I too match her expression.

 

“What’s wrong?” I ask, feeling uncomfortable.

 

“Tsk. You should wear red dress, you know that.” She shakes her head.

 

            I look at my nice, plain dress in the colour of white pearl, the one Hyukjae personally picks for me when we go shopping two weeks ago and I look back at my friend’s baby blue dress. When she realises that I seriously don’t understand her words, my friend dramatically motions in front of her, purposely directs at a group of beautiful celebrities; Girls’ Generation and F(x). I laugh. I know where this conversation is going.

 

“Don’t be silly. Red basically freaks me out.”

 

“Duh. What are you talking about? You need to stand out, girl! They’re groomed and look at us, totally plain Jane beside them.” She retorts.

 

“You’re in this war alone, babe. I’ve got the man.” I jokingly push her side, my friend with the name of Ellie feigns a loud gasp; this isn’t new.

 

“Being a meanie doesn’t earn you any credit, girl.” She fakes another hurtful expression before pushing me slightly to make her presence known by the audience; not that other people care since everyone is practically busy socialising. I roll my eyes to this. But I do notice a certain brunette who suddenly lights up when he sets his eyes on my friend; his bright expression totally blinding me. Right now, I pray to every god in the world to let my friend opens her two eyes, figuratively.   

 

“Hey.” A familiar whisper behind me makes me smile.

 

“Hey.” I don’t move and just let the man shows himself. Cladded in simple white, printed t-shirt and blue jeans, he’s unbelievable charming.

 

“There’re lots of people, don’t you think?” He scrunches his face, showing a distaste look.

 

“Yup, and someone doesn’t happy with it.” I casually make my statement.

 

“Who?” He looks around and then, his eyes are back on me. “You?”

 

“Me? Why should I?” I chuckle and grab his arm as we walk into crowd of people. “Wait, you find another girl?” I stop to glare at him straight in the eyes but knowing Hyukjae, he just waves it away and pinches my cheek. I just wish he stops that; my right and left cheeks will become somehow different in size.

 

“Who?” He asks again and I, thinking about my poor face, blurt out the truth.

 

“Ellie.” This one word leaves Hyukjae with a loud, knowing sound of ‘oh’ and he shakes his head.

 

“They’re being nonsense. Just confess.”

 

“If it is as easy as that.” With this, we both sigh, simultaneously.

 

            I spot Ellie in the crowd, throwing dagger glares towards the oblivious, beautiful petite blonde and my heart suddenly becomes heavy. Before I can make any step closer to her, Hyukjae spins me around and engulfs me in a tight hug. I hug him back; both hands clasp behind his neck as I inhale the sweet yet manly scent of his perfume.

 

“To what I earn this honour?”

 

“Thank you.”

 

            I loosen my hold and our eyes meet each other as I go back to my original position. As usual, his eyes sport a loving hold and I can’t help putting my arms around him again. It’s just intoxicating. It’s a simple hug but I know that he knows my feelings; what we have been through to be at this stage isn’t easy. I shed too much tears and I think him too.

 

“No, I’m the one who should say thank you.” I breathe into his ear and Hyukjae hums in response.

 

            Behind us, a soft music is played. In the same position, we sway following the rhythm. Several couples join us on the lawn-shifted-into-dance floor as we bump into Kyuhyun and his lovely date for the night. The beautiful young actress smiles shyly towards us and I unconsciously smile back, hoping this will be the end for Kyuhyun’s journey. She seems to be a nice girl and I can’t help wishing the best for both of them in my heart. I look around us; Sunny and Sungmin who obviously dancing to their own tempo (how can a waltz turns into some modern dance with popping and heart-thumping) but the ‘we-are-forever-best-friend’ couple just ignore everyone’s frown and continue to enjoy their night. I shift back my glance to my dance partner; his eyes are closed.

 

“What are you doing?” I curiously ask and his two eyes open at the sound of my voice.

 

“I was thinking… Maybe I should major in classical dance or something. Waltz… Tango…” he says dreamily. I sigh at the thought; of course, in Hyukjae’s head, dance is the biggest important thing in his life. I shouldn’t ask.

 

“But,” he continues. “That kind of dances need partner. You… I’m sorry, babe. You aren’t made for dancing world so at the second thought, I cancel my plan.” He chuckles to this, probably thinking this is the best joke he makes for this year.

 

“I’m supposed to be touched by this, aren’t I? Why do I feel bitter somehow?” I spurt venomous remark but being Hyukjae (as always!), he hugs me tighter as the hug can actually console me. Well, it does actually.

 

            Several songs have changed for the last half an hour ago but Hyukjae and I still on our spot, dancing. I rest my head on his strong chest, listening to his heart beats. Sometimes, the beats suddenly quicken but then fall back to the normal pace. Swaying, body pressed closely as we follow the rhythm of the songs. However, a light tap on Hyukjae’s left shoulder shatters our peace. He glances for a second to see the intruder but as the face of his best friend comes into view, Hyukjae ignores him completely and gives his full attention back to me. Seeing Donghae’s hurtful expression, I just can’t be heartless.

 

“What’s the matter, oppa?” I ask sweetly and smile at the sudden brightness radiating from Donghae. Hyukjae groans.

 

“Erm..” Donghae fidgets. “Have you seen… Ellie?” The last word is let out barely in whisper. “I’ve been looking for her everywhere but she just disappears.” He continues.

 

“What do you mean she disappears…” Hyukjae scoffs but I manage to elbow his rib before another fake attempt to hurt his friend makes it appearance.

 

“She was at buffet table talking to Changmin just now.”

 

“DBSK Changmin?”

 

“Is there any other Changmin here?” Opps, I don’t have time to guard Hyukjae’s mouth.

 

“I don’t know that they are close…” mutters the brunette and I unconsciously let out a big sigh.

 

“You’ve lots of things that you don’t know about Ellie, Hae.” Hyukjae complains; his tone sounds nice and I believe Hyukjae is sincere this time in expressing his thoughts. Donghae pouts, probably ready to fight back. I step between the two boys; hands on their chests.

 

“Anyway, oppa… I think you should care more about Ellie’s feelings. She’s…” I whisper this to his ear. “A little bit sensitive.”

 

            Donghae frowns and I know that this handsome guy doesn’t have a single clue of what I’m saying. Somehow, I wish Donghae is a little bright on reading people’s hearts. He shrugs his shoulders before darts off the dance floor, maybe to seek for my friend.

 

            Hyukjae and I exchange looks; comfortable smiles spread on our faces thinking about Donghae. It has been years since Donghae actually has a girlfriend and people around him are continuously worry over it. I don’t know if it’s out of care or not but I guess the boys are too tired to handle Donghae’s antics. Sometimes, Donghae can be too annoying but well, that’s our Fishy’s charm.

 

“What’re you thinking?” Hyukjae asks and I look up.

 

“Oh, no… Nothing.” I smile and tighten my hold on his neck.

 

“Saera…”

 

“Hmm…” I hum in response.

 

“I might need to leave you for a while.” My body stop from swaying and I fix my eyes to look at him. I don’t like where this conversation is going.

 

“You’re leaving again?”

 

“The production at Thailand… They…”

 

“How long?” Hyukjae sighs at my question. His face also mirrors my expression; we both feel helpless. Hyukjae’s work is something I’ll never meddle in no matter how much I want him to be beside me forever.

 

“Four months.” His answer this time barely goes out; like a whisper.

 

“Our wedding is less than 7 months, oppa.” I remind him and my heart falls when he winces at my tone.

 

“I know, Saera. But…They want me to be the main judge for the dance competition. I can’t let this…”

 

“This opportunity passes away, I know oppa. I…” I take a deep breath. “I understand.” I flash him a smile, to calm his guilty feeling.

 

“I’ll come back before you even notice I left.” He grins. I just laugh and playfully hit his chest.

 

“I trust you.” Feeling his kiss on top of my head, I entwine our hands together; the fingers fit perfectly.

 

            I’ve waited for Hyukjae longer than this and this four month is nothing. I know Hyukjae will come back like he always does. In my heart, I just know it.

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                      [TO BE CONTINUED]

 

 

                                                                      

~~~~~~~~~

 

Sorry for the late update, I'm very, very sorry!

 

I just got back from watching SS5 Malaysia. and this was my first time watching SJ in real life!! They were super gorgeous!!!!! 

 

Thanks for reading~! <3