One

Entwined Hearts

ONE

 

 

[PRESENT]

 

 

“He’s dead.”

 

            I feel like my world is spinning. Before I can have a chance to hit the floor, I grab the nearest person around me. The owner of the lean but muscular body shifts his sad eyes on me while his hand holds my right arm to give support; an action I wish he doesn’t do because when he really does that, one part of me believes that the man I love the most in this world is no longer here, beside me where he always promises to be.

 

 

 

 

[PAST]

 

 

 

“Stop it!” The sound of someone shouting halts our conversation. I look past the handsome man with gummy smile in front of me towards the couple who cutely bickering over the arrangement of chairs and tables.

 

“Here they go again.” My complaint is received well by this loyal listener when he suddenly chuckles; his cute, pink gum showing and eyes with some smile wrinkles reveal, indicating the man is no longer in his teen years. But those features are the things that make I fall so hard for him to the extent that I think without this guy in my life, I can no longer feel alive.

 

“Stop it!!!” This time, the shouts are getting louder. From my observation under the big open air tent, shading us from the harsh glares of sun, I can see that neither the man nor the lady wants to accept the other’s idea. I sigh and again, glance towards the guy who accompanies me. When he realizes that I am battling inside my head to be a referee and put a stop to this nonsense argument, he slowly places his hand on my arm and shaking his head.

 

“Let the children sort out their own problem.” He says but his eyes are no longer on me; they are currently twinkling with amusement watching the continuous childish fight.

 

“Oppa! They are not children for heaven’s sake! And if I didn’t do something, our diva big space star gonna woke up and butchered both of them!” I cry in exasperation but the fiancée of mine still having his good time; laughing over my plea.

 

“I’m sorry, darling but I think your idea of becoming the knight in shining armour will no longer be ideal right now.” He silently laughs again but not bothering to hide it although I clearly show my annoyance with lips pouting and everything.

 

“What do you mean by that?” I raise my eyebrow, asking for clarification but still, this guy just closes his mouth.

 

            Suddenly, a loud, angry yell is heard across the lane and obviously startles me. Before I can open my mouth to interfere, a rough but warm, loving hand grabs mine and slowly lift me until I am standing on my two feet. I look up to see his face just mere inches away; no matter how close we become after these past years, his intimate actions still make my heart racing and butterflies dancing proudly in my stomach. He smiles a little and quickly places a small kiss on my left cheek, successfully making two red spots appear on my both cheeks.

 

“Let’s go somewhere quieter.” He whispers. I watch his strong back in front of me before stealing a last glance towards the middle of the lawn; a couple are holding their heads in pain, obviously receive several smacks from an angry, newly woken diva. When I turn back to look forward, I see his two single-lidded eyes watching me with smile decorating his lips and like drinking a cup of my favourite hot latte, I feel warm inside. Clutching his hand tightly, entwining our fingers together, I follow the love of my life to wherever he takes us, putting my heart and trust into his hand and every step he takes.

 

 

 

 

“Where are we going?” I ask when I feel like we are walking for like thousands of kilometres but Hyukjae just put one finger on his mouth, indicating that I should stop whining like I did for the rest of the journey.

 

            Right now, we are walking through a small forest which I never knew existed before behind Choi’s main house. Despite the hot weather in the middle of August, the forest gives a very cool vibe; hints of fresh grass and leaves are everywhere and birds chirping sound can be heard quite clearly. Somehow, it feels like I have stepped to another world, where modern globalisation occurs in Seoul does not reach this place. I begin to wonder how much this private estate worth and mentally memorising this question to ask to Mr Choi.

 

“I wonder if Twilight recorded their movies here.” I blurt out another thought of mine loudly and the person in front of me stops in his track; even with a frown, he is still a cute guy I know.

 

“This?” He motions to everywhere around him with his hands and I nonchalantly nod. “This?” He asks again but in a little bit higher tone.

 

“Yes, I’m talking about this.” I imitate his action but Hyukjae does not seem to please.

 

“Saera, this place is a lot better than the forest in those nonsense movies you always watch with your best friend.” He jokingly glares but I just shrug it off. He dares to call Twilight saga as nonsense movies?!

 

“Says someone who watches Titanic thousands of times.” I make faces, earning a little pout from Hyukjae.

 

“Titanic is romantic! A classic!” He argues then dramatically shakes his head. “You just spoil my mood.” He huffs and crosses his arms. When I call him, Hyukjae pretends not to hear my call and childishly pouting while sitting on some big tree roots.

 

“I’m leaving.” I say this and turn my heels. It is not long before I feel his presence behind me and his hands on my waist, drawing me close to him.

 

“I’m sorry.” He buries his face on my shoulder – my left ear tickles from his hot breath – and I lovingly pat his cheek. There is no way I am going to stay mad at him, heck, I cannot get mad at him in the first place. “Don’t you dare saying that you’re leaving.” His voice suddenly turns sorrowful and I bite my bottom lips, suddenly feel regretful. The current Hyukjae is really different from the one that I met several years ago. The word ‘leaving’ somehow becomes too painful for man with the name of ‘Lee Hyukjae’; no, it isn’t him only, the rest of Super Junior members are the same and I wish I can take back the words that slipping from my mouth a few moments ago.

 

“Oppa…”

 

            I turn to face him; the smile is still there but there is no longer the usual cheerfulness that accompanies it. Putting my two hands on the left and right side of his face, I bring my face close to him, attaching our lips together. Although it only lasts for several seconds, the sweet kiss feel lingers; the memory of the past flashes in my head. When I look up at him, there are unshed tears in his eyes, b the corners of his eyes and threaten to fall.

 

“I love you.” The words I rarely say just stumble in.

 

            His grasp on my fingers tighten and every heavy breath he takes match mine. We stare at each other for a while; it feels like the time has stopped and gives us the moments that we try really hard to have. Suddenly, a tiny drop of rain falls on my nose and I unconsciously wrinkle my nose. He laughs, breaking the spell and tugs my hand.

 

“Let’s leave. We’ll come here again.” He says and I silently nod before letting Hyukjae leads the way back. However, our steps stop when Hyukjae moves his body, looking directly at me; his eyes full of love.

 

“Saera… I promise… I…” His voice shakes and I tilt my head, trying to grasp his words. Hyukjae inhales a deep breath before continuing. “Whatever the future might bring, I’ll always be beside you. I promise.”   

 

            This is the world of two of us; the world where Lee Hyukjae and Kim Saera exist as one. And this is the world I will forever protect and hold close in my heart.

 

“I know.”

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                        [TO BE CONTINUED]