IV

School Days

Practice that day was simple enough, league regulations forbidding them from practicing for more than an hour a day before preseason began. Minha and Kyungri had chatted about their evening plans, Minha growing more wary of the oldest Park’s intentions as time went on.

 

She spent a good portion of time in contemplation, Kyungri welcoming the silence that she enjoyed so much. Minha was drawn out of her thoughts by a shadow shielding her from the sun, she looked up and saw her sister. “Hi unnie!”

 

Fei smiled at her, sparing a brief glance over at Kyungri. Her grin dropped before opening to speak. “If she tries anything don’t hesitate to call, I know where she lives and I’ll come get you.”

 

“Okay.” Minha didn’t fight her, something the older girl found very strange. She ruffled the girl’s hair before heading off to the locker room.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted once again by a shadow looming over her. “Are you ready to go?”

 

Minha nodded, standing up and waving a goodbye to Kyungri. Hyuna already had her backpack so the two didn’t need to go to the locker room.

 

Hyuna reached for the girl’s hand, intertwining their fingers as she led them to the car. Minha shook herself out of the girl’s grasp, body betraying her with how happy it made her feel. The smile was wiped from Hyuna’s face, replaced with a blank stare.

 

The ride was silent, Hyuna staring at the girl out of the corner of her eye. Minha was lost in an internal battle, one side fighting for Hyuna being genuine and the other fighting for her being a player. The girl didn’t know what to think.

 

Minha hadn’t noticed the car had stopped until her door was opened for her, Hyuna beaming down at her. The girl offered a shy smile in response, unbuckling her seatbelt and stepping out, ignoring the offered hand.

 

The only thing the girl’s denial did was fuel Hyuna to be more aggressive in her attempts to woo the girl. She closed the door behind Minha, locking her car as she stepped up to the door. She slid the key into the lock, twisting it and opening the door, she prayed that she hadn’t forgotten to leave anything incriminating out in the open.

 

She closed the door after Minha entered, locking it and slipping off her shoes. “Make yourself at home, I’m going to go take a shower real quick so feel free to raid the pantry.”

 

Hyuna took off for the stairs, waiting until she was near the top but not entirely out of view before removing her shirt. She heard the gasp Minha emitted, the reaction she wanted.

 

The girl investigated the first level of the apartment, looking for a place to set up her tutoring materials. She settled on the sofa, seeing that there was no proper dining room table and chairs. The leather crinkled beneath her as she took her seat, fishing out her notebook for biology and their homework assignment.

 

Realization settled in as she looked up at her foreign surroundings, she was in the home of the girl of her dreams. She became hyperaware of her surroundings and her appearance, smoothing out the nonexistent wrinkles of her uniform.

 

She heard the shower turn off, knowing she didn’t have much time. “Okay Kim Minha, you are here to make sure she graduates high school. You are going to pretend she didn’t try to kiss you in class and that she is not the girl of your dreams. You can do this.”

 

Hyuna had heard every word, a playful smile on her lips as she figured out what to wear in order to entice the girl. She elected on a black bra, a very thin white tank top, black lace underwear (not that the girl would be seeing it) and a pair of short shorts. She rifled through her jewelry drawer, trying to find a black ring for her navel piercing. When she found one dark enough, she stuck it in and pulled her shirt over her midriff, looking in the mirror to see the black through the fabric.

 

She nearly leapt down the flight of stairs, excitement present in her system. She took a quick detour into the kitchen, pressing the pin on one of the cabinets and pulling out a box of tablets, taking two and putting the box back. The girl leaned against the counter, letting the tablets take effect before joining Minha.

 

Minha jumped in surprise when the television suddenly , she looked around her shoulder at Hyuna who was absorbed in changing the channels. She was about to protest, but it died on her lips as her eyes raked over the girl’s form.

 

When she looked up into Hyuna’s eyes, they were staring back at her, a knowing grin on her lips. She blushed and looked down at her hands. Her attention was returned to the television that settled on the local news. “Turn it off, we’re studying.”

 

“But, I always watch the news when I do homework.” The older girl pouted at her as she sat down next to her.

 

“Too bad, turn it off.” Minha gave the girl a stern look, only to be met with a waggle of the remote.

 

The younger reached out to grab it only for Hyuna to put it out of further reach. Minha rolled her eyes and made a longer stretch for it, losing her balance mid-lunge, and falling on top of Hyuna. She let out a sharp shriek into Hyuna’s chest, blushing madly while flying to the other side of the couch.

 

“J-just t-turn it off or, or I’m calling Fei unnie.” Minha tried her best to sound stern, but her high pitched voice gave away her state.

 

Hyuna raised her hands in defeat, turning off the television and tossing the remote across the room. Minha stayed on her side of the couch, not trusting the older girl.

 

“L-let’s start with some ground rules,” Hyuna groaned at her, “First off: no electronics unless it’s absolutely necessary.”

 

“You’re no fun.” The look she received from Minha quelled any more whining from her.

 

“Two: you have to take this seriously, I want to help you that’s why I’m here.” The girl wanted to put her hand on the older girl’s shoulder, but she didn’t trust either of them to not react.

 

Hyuna slid closer to her, their knees touching, brushing her hair behind the girl’s ear. Minha pushed her hand away, the only thing stopping her from melting into the touch. “I’ll take this seriously on one condition.”

 

Minha’s breath hitched as the older girl leaned in closer, “W-what?”

 

A finger appeared between their faces, quelling the storm in Minha’s stomach. “Go on a date with me tomorrow night.”

 

Minha’s brain froze, did she just…ask me on a date?

 

“I’m going to take your silence as a ‘no’ then?” Hyuna leaned back, rejection hitting her like a bucket of ice.

 

The girl snapped out of her daze, not wanting to lose the only opportunity she may get. “Y-yes, I-I want to go on a d-date.”

 

Hyuna had to refrain herself from kissing the girl, refocusing her attention on studying, staying true to her word for the rest of the night.

 

**

 

Sungah had rushed through taking a shower, throwing clothes over her still wet body. She didn’t want to keep Kyungri waiting for too long. She saw the girl looking out at the field, appearing behind her unnoticed.


“So we have-” Sungah leapt back before Kyungri could trip her to the floor. Both stared at each other, bewildered by the other’s reaction.

 

“I took karate as a kid. What were you saying?” Kyungri lied quickly, naturally.

 

Sungah stepped back up to Kyungri, thanking the heavens that the girl didn’t ask how she responded so quickly. “I was just saying that we have about an hour before we’re expected for dinner. What do you want to do?”

 

“We could go early and just work on homework?” Kyungri offered, and Sungah agreed quickly, luck favoring her since she still had no idea where to take the girl.

 

They walked silently to the parking lot, hands dangling next to each other. Sungah took the younger’s hand in her own and looked off to the side. Kyungri interlaced their fingers with a small giggle.

 

They were at a standstill when they reached the car, at that point Sungah would be opening the door for Kyungri and hustling to the driver’s seat but she wasn’t driving. Their hands separated and they went to their doors, silently entering the car.

 

The drive was quiet, the silence being interrupted every so often by Sungah giving driving directions. Kyungri preferred the silence while Sungah passed her time listening to the girl’s heartbeat.

 

Sungah silently thanked the heavens that the driveway was empty of Gyuri’s car, wanting to spend some alone time with Kyungri before having to watch what she says.

 

When they entered the house, Sungah grabbed Kyungri’s hand and made a beeline for her old room, hoping to escape her mother. Sungah locked the door as soon as they were both inside, hearing Sunghee’s footsteps coming towards them.

 

“Park Sungah, open this door right now I want to meet her!” Sunghee twisted the doorknob and banged on the door at the same time.

 

“You’ll get your chance at dinner! I want alone time while appa isn’t here.” Sungah yelled back through the door, sighing when she heard her mother grumble and walk away.

 

She turned around to see Kyungri’s eyes closed in laughter, hand over to hide it. “You think this is funny?”

 

Kyungri nodded through her laughter, Sungah moving closer only fueling her laughter. “My appa has hearing like a bat, we would get in trouble for breathing near each other.”

 

The younger girl stopped laughing as Sungah stepped into her personal space, her arms finding their way around the older girl’s neck. Their breathing mixed as their faces drew closer together. “I’ve known you for a week and all I’ve wanted to do is kiss you.”

 

Sungah didn’t say anything, closing her eyes and allowing Kyungri to make the final move to connect their lips. She responded immediately, pulling the girl closer by the waist, their bodies molding together. She lost herself in the girl’s lips, allowing a tongue to push inside and meet with her own tongue.

 

She felt herself moving, her back hitting a bed and Kyungri on top of her. Sungah was so focused on the girl above her that she hadn’t heard her appa enter the house or hear her sprint up the stairs and to the locked door.

 

“Park Sungah, no one is having in this house except for me and your umma!” Gyuri’s voice boomed through the doorway, Kyungri jumping off of Sungah in surprise.   

 

Both of their heartbeats were racing, Sungah could smell the younger’s arousal, cursing her appa’s impeccable timing. “If it makes you feel better, I don’t live here.”

 

Kyungri gave her a devious smile, bursting out into a fitful of giggles when Gyuri responded. “I will move in with you if I have to!”

 

“Don’t you have a city to go protect?” Sungah was laughing with Kyungri, pulling the younger girl closer to her.

 

“Fine, but get your butts downstairs, dinner’s ready and Boa is going to be late.” Against her better judgment, Gyuri left them alone.

 

Kyungri’s lips were on Sungah’s in an instant, the older allowing the contact for a few moments before pulling away.

 

“We still have a date to go on after this.” Sungah answered the look on Kyungri’s face, waiting for the younger to get off of her so they could go downstairs for dinner.

 

“Do we have to go down there?” Kyungri asked, resting her head on Sungah’s chest. The older girl rolled over, putting herself on top and rising from the bed.

 

“Yes,” Sungah offered her hand for the girl to take, pulling her up with ease, “Just a warning, my umma is going to tell you embarrassing stories about me while my appa just glares at you.”

 

“How embarrassing are we talking here?” Kyungri waggled her eyebrows at nothing in particular, Sungah was leading her down stairs and to the dining room.

 

The dining room was empty so the two got first pick at their seats, Sungah raised up three fingers, lowering one and then the other. On cue, Gyuri entered the room, a glare firmly set on Kyungri as she took the seat across from the girl.

 

“So, appa, did you know Kyungri is younger than me?” Sungah watched the glare shift over to her, she didn’t have to look at Kyungri to know that she was blushing.

 

“And just what are your intentions with my daughter, Kyungwi?” Gyuri took great satisfaction in the response of her daughter.

 

Kyungri turned her head to look at Sungah, “I don’t know, what are your intentions with ‘Kyungwi’?”

 

“Oh Kyungri you’re so pretty! Let me tell you about the time Sungah got her head stuck between the stairs.” Sunghee chose that time to enter, filled with excitement at the newest addition to her family. Plates were placed in front of them, Sungah quickly digging in to avoid any further questioning.

 

Dinner was spent with Sunghee and Kyungri going back and forth about Sungah and her childhood of mishaps. Kyungri was able to avoid most questions about her past, something Gyuri picked up on quickly but held her tongue.

 

They had finished by the time the doorbell rang, Gyuri excusing herself to get it. She returned with Boa and what the woman had brought for desert.

 

The clanking of metal could be heard accompanied by the scraping of a chair. Kyungri had her arms around Boa, face buried in her hair. “Appa? Why did you leave?”

 

Gyuri motioned for Sungah and Sunghee to follow her, the family leaving the stunned mayor and girl alone.

 

After some time, Kyungri pulled away, lightly sniffling. Boa looked at her, analyzing her features. “I’m sorry, but I don’t know who you are.”

 

Kyungri laughed, “You’re real funny appa.”

 

“I really don’t know who you are.” Kyungri pulled out her phone, the screensaver a picture of her and Ana, and showed it to Boa who immediately took it from her hands. The screen went dark, the woman looking up at the girl. “H-how old are you?”

 

“Sixteen, you know that appa.” Kyungri took the phone back, pushing it into the pocket it was in before.

 

“I’m not your appa,” the woman let the realization dawn on her, “I’m your umma.”

 

Kyungri hugged the woman again, “Appa told me to find you, I just wasn’t expecting you to look just like appa.”

 

“She left me seventeen years ago without a word, and now I know why. Where is your appa?” Boa hadn’t raised a teenager in well over twenty years, unsure what to do.

 

“She left me too, telling me to come here and find my family.” The girl was filled with glee, finally having a somewhat stable family.

 

“Well you found me, and I think I should take you home. We’ll move your things from wherever you’re staying into my house.” Kyungri was in too much shock to register much of anything, allowing Boa to take her out to her car.

 

Sungah had seen them in the distance running over to Kyungri before the girl could step in the car. “Where are you going?”

 

“Home,” Kyungri smiled through her tears, “I promise we’ll go on our date soon and without interruption.”

 

The older leant over to kiss the girl briefly, pulling away when she heard Gyuri clear . Kyungri entered the car with a quiet goodbye, Boa speeding off as soon as her seatbelt was on.

 

“God, I can smell her all over you. She seems nice, but I know all about your damn dreams and I will not let them happen as long as I live.” Gyuri crossed her arms, crinkling her nose in mock disgust.

 

“Did you really have to bring up Kyungwi?! I was like five! Of course I had a lisp!”

   

**

 

Qri hustled to the meeting point, checking over her shoulders every few seconds, afraid that someone would see her. Her glare found its way to Eunjung, her pace quickening.

 

“What the do you want from me?” Was the first thing to come out of when she stepped up to Eunjung, looking around to see if anyone was listening.

 

“Easy there,” Eunjung raised her hands up in surrender, “I just want to go on a proper date.”

 

“There is nothing proper going on between us, I have a boyfriend.” Qri reminded the girl, all that earned her was a laugh.

 

“Yeah, you two win hetero couple of the year. On my way here I saw him with his in some dude’s mouth and well we know just how straight you are.” Eunjung couldn’t tell what the girl’s problem was, practically everyone at the school was gay it wouldn’t be a big surprise if Qri suddenly came out.

 

“Look, Eunjung, whatever you want from me, it’s not going to happen.” Qri turned and left, hearing Eunjung following after.

 

“Jihyun I want you, all of you.” The younger was stunned when Qri suddenly stopped, turned, and kissed her.

 

It was over before it started, the shorter pulling away with tears in her eyes. “I’m sorry Eunjung, it just isn’t going to work.”

 

Eunjung was too stunned to follow after Qri that time, she had broken out into a sprint to her own car.

 

This isn’t over Jung Jihyun.

 

**

 

Erin, Sam and Mariko spent their Friday afterschool how they usually did: at the park, nestled against a wide, old tree. Erin and Mariko sitting against the tree trunk while Sam’s head rested in Erin’s lap.

 

The sitting two were absorbed in their assigned reading books, leaving Sam with her thoughts that always found their way south. A smile appeared on her lips as she pried the book out of Erin’s hands, it remained even through the glare she received.

 

“So, my little junior, any of the freshmeat catch your eyes?” Sam waggled her eyebrows, her face getting pushed away by Erin.

 

“Some of us are more focused on school than .” Erin watched the older girl carefully, she still had her book held captive.

 

“Maybe someone hasn’t been having right and should be shown how.” Sam’s hand was between her thighs faster than she could register their presence. Her face was bright red, furiously slapping the hand away.

 

Erin stood abruptly and hurried away, hands on her face to wipe away her tears. Sam, ever oblivious, stared blankly at her retreating form.

 

Mariko chose that time to let her presence be known, snatching the book out of Sam’s hand and standing up. “You’re a real ing , you know. A stupid, oblivious .”

 

The sensible twin rushed off after Erin, handing her the book before slinging an arm around her shoulder. “She’ll figure it out one day.”

 

“She’ll just break my heart when she does, why can’t I be happy without her?” Erin stopped walking and buried herself in Mariko’s neck.

 

“Maybe just take a break from being around her for a few days and see how that works. Maybe go spend some time with Jiyong?” Mariko offered as she rubbed circles into the small of the taller girl’s back. She felt the girl nod into her neck, a small smile finding its way onto her lips. She sent a harsh glare over at her sister that abruptly stopped walking towards them.

 

Sam kicked the ground around her, deciding that walking away was probably the best thing to do. She wanted to know what she said to make her best friend hurt so much, she elected to call the girl later.  

 

**

 

“Why are all of our students gay?” Raina remarked, taking a sip of her cocktail to which all the women made disgruntled remarks and drank from their own beverage.

 

“It beats my last school.” Soyoung added, downing her drink and taking Kyungjin’s, downing that one as well.

 

They all wanted to ask the oldest about it, but the look in the woman’s eyes and the woman’s recent drink order made them halt their tongues.

 

Raina leaned over to whisper in Bekah’s ear, “Do you want to get out of here and help me grade those papers?”

 

Bekah nodded, a grin sweeping across her lips. “Sorry to bail early, but someone wants me to help her grade tests.”

 

The two left, leaving Gain alone with the two women that seemed to have a little too much tension between them. She made up an excuse and left as quickly as she could.

 

“Kyungjin-ssi?” The older woman slurred, finishing off her drink before looking at the younger.

 

“Soyoung-ssi?” Kyungjin felt under the heavy-lidded gaze of the older woman.

 

“Why do you always look like you want to kiss me?” The younger’s face was bright red, stammering and avoiding eye contact.

 

“I think we should get you home.” Kyungjin helped the woman to her feet, putting an arm around her waist and wrapping one of the woman’s arms around her shoulders, steadying her. She didn’t want to leave her alone in her condition, so she elected to take the woman to her own apartment.

 

By the time the cab ride was over and Kyungjin was helping the woman out of the car, she assumed she was asleep. When she unlocked the door to her apartment, opening the door, a deadweight pushed her inside, lips attacking her own.

 

It didn’t take long for the older woman to pull away, tears in her eyes. “You remind me so much of Jiwon-ah. But you’re here and she isn’t.”

 

With those final words, the woman passed out in Kyungjin’s arms. The woman was dragged to the bedroom, deposited on the bed and a blanket thrown over her. Kyungjin quickly went to close and lock her door, finding a water bottle in her fridge and some aspirin in her cabinet, depositing it on her nightstand.

 

She spent most of the night tossing and turning on the couch, wondering who Jiwon was and why she caused the older woman so much grief.

 

**

 

Kyungri spent the night lying awake in bed, questioning every conversation she’d had with Ana, remembering even the bizarre ones about supernatural creatures.

 

Realization dawned on her, she remembered why the name Park sounded familiar. Every strange thing about Sungah made sense to her now.

 

Park Sungah, is a vampire.

 

**

 

Hyuna had driven the girl home, opening her car door for her and helping her out. She waited for Minha to unlock the door before turning to leave, a hand on her forearm stopping her.

 

Minha looked at her feet briefly before leaning over to kiss the older girl’s cheek. She pulled away to see that they were both blushing. “G-goodnight, unnie.”

 

“Goodnight, Minha. Sleep well.” Hyuna walked away, smiling as she heard the door close and the girl let out a squeal of excitement.

 

Minha had yelled ‘goodnight’ at the other members of the household before rushing upstairs to prepare for sleep. She flew onto her bed, arm searching under her bed for that little notebook, pulling it out when she found it.

 

She didn’t want to kiss the picture, wanting to remember what the older girl’s skin felt like on her lips. Instead, she held it against her chest and rolled around on her bed. When she stopped, she tucked the picture back into the book securely before scribbling in it.

 

Dear Book of Dreams,

 

I…I don’t know how to describe the day I had today. I’m just so full of happiness, is this what being in love feels like? Because I think I’m in love with Park Hyuna, no I know I’m in love with her. She’s perfect. She asked me on a date and then listened to me when I was explaining things to her and I don’t know if I should tell you about this but her chest is really soft. And by chest I…I mean those, gosh my face is so red right now. I didn’t grab them! No I just, my face fell on them when she was being mean and not turning off the TV so we could study.

 

She made me dinner and it was really good like almost as good as grandpa’s cooking. BUT WE’RE GOING ON A DATE!!! SHE’S TAKING ME ON A DATE TOMORROW NIGHT! Oh no, I need to go to sleep so I can wake up early and figure out what I’m going to wear. Goodnight BoD <333333333333333

 

Love,

Park Minha(see now I know I’m going to marry her so there’s no use in even saying Kim Minha)