Prologue

School Days

Kyungri awoke as she normally did, only, something felt off. The apartment was dark, halls were empty, the door to her appa’s study was wide open. The girl couldn’t have ran any faster to the open door, finding papers strewn about, a letter on top of the desk addressed to her.

 

She unfolded the letter with her shaky hands, eyes widening from the contents.

 

Dearest Kyungri,

 

If you’re reading this, then I’m long gone and for that I am truly sorry. Please know it is your safety as well as the rest of your family. That brings me to my next point: I want you to go to the place we always talked about, where your mother, sister and niece are. I want you to go to school and find your mother, have a normal life.

 

When you find your mother, tell her I’m sorry.

 

Love,

Ana Appa

 

Kyungri, not one to dwell on emotions, packed her few things, packed up the study, put everything in her car and drove off towards the town her family was.   

 

**

 

“What’s your name?” The short girl asked as she was pushed against the door of the club bathroom, her assailant locking the door.

 

“Eunjung, you?” Eunjung replied as she attacked the girl’s neck.

 

“Jihyun, you said you’re twenty?” Qri tugged at the taller’s shirt, getting a muffled affirmation before a hand slipped under the waistband of her leather shorts.

 

**

 

Erin had been getting ready to go to bed when there was a knock at her window, she lived on the first floor and knew who was outside without even having to look. She sighed and hustled over to open it, forgetting that she was only wearing a bra and short shorts.

 

“Sammy, what happened?” Erin asked without looking up, allowing the older girl to step inside.

 

“Suzy’s being a lil again and Solji is taking her side trying to be the protective older sister.” Sam didn’t even seem bothered by the fact that Erin was barely clothed.

 

“Well, there’s nothing I can do about it.” Erin took off her bra before throwing a shirt over her head, Sam plopping on the bed and watching the younger girl.

 

“Can I have a cookie?” Sam grinned at her, making her forget what they were talking about.

 

“We don’t have any cookies.” Erin said, lying down next to Sam. The older girl rolled on top of her.

 

“Then I’ll just have you.” The older girl lowered her face to capture Erin’s lips, she was flipped onto her back, Erin remaining on her side of the bed.

 

“Go to sleep Rico Suave, I don’t want to deal with your drunk right now.” Erin rolled onto her side, turning off the light on her nightstand. She didn’t wait long for a body to press against her back, arm draping over her waist.

 

“I’m not drunk but whatever.” The two best friends drifted off to sleep, Erin sighed, knowing her best friend would never feel the same way. Goo Sam was a player and she knew better than to fall for her, but she did. At least she had Mariko to keep her sane.

 

**

 

“Sera, Ailee.” Jessica started, “Tomorrow you begin your senior year, your final year of high school. Don’t screw it up.”

 

They both giggled, “Yes appa.”

 

“Alright, now you two go to bed I do not need to be hearing you two giggling about whatever it is you two giggle about.” The two looked at each other and giggled. “Why did God curse me with twins?”

 

The two stood up, still giggling, and kissed either sides of the woman’s cheeks. “Tell umma we want souvenirs.”

 

Jessica groaned, opening up her laptop to log into Skype and hopefully see her wife before she started work as a weapons consultant for a defense contractor.

 

Upstairs, the two girls did exactly what their appa had told them not to do. “Are you going to tell Hyemi that you like her?”

 

“No! She’s too cool to ever like someone like me.” Sera sighed sadly, hugging her pillow tighter.

 

“Sera, you’re like one of the most popular girls in school, she’d be stupid not to like you.” Ailee nudged the girl, trying to cheer her up.

 

“But she’s not the type to like popular girls. I wish the two of us had met like you and Areum met.” Sera looked out the window at the moon, thinking that Hyemi might be looking at the same moon.

 

“What? Running into each other where I end up breaking her nose and needing to take her to the emergency room?” Ailee giggled, remembering how out of it the younger girl was.

 

“No, where you meet and fall for each other instantly. When Hyemi and I first met she wanted nothing to do with me, telling me to get off of her.” Sera fell back against the mattress, remembering what the girl’s body felt like beneath hers.

 

“So you crashed into her too? At least you didn’t break her nose.” Ailee heard her phone vibrate on the desk, knowing it was her girlfriend calling her before going to sleep.

 

“You should get that, good night sis, I’ll see you in the morning.” Sera left the room to allow Ailee to take the call, she could hear the girl’s giggling through the wall separating their rooms.

 

She rolled to her side, staring out at the moon, falling asleep thinking about the girl that plagued both her conscious and subconscious.

 

**

 

Hyemi stood in the kitchen with her parents and grandfather, her Heo 31 hat on her head as she helped her appa come up with new flavors of ice cream. Her umma and her grandfather being the two taste testers. She finished mixing the concoction together and put it in the ice cream maker, putting the finished product into four bowls.

 

“I call this, banana split surprise.” Hyemi smiled as she handed out the bowls.

 

“Why the surprise?” Gayoon pouted as her daughter gave her the bowl.

 

“You’ll see.” The girl grinned evilly, tasting the concoction herself to make sure it had the right proportions. There was just something missing.

 

“Tha ish good.” Psy was muffled by the amount of ice cream being piled into his mouth.

 

“And they say you’re the bad girl type, getting into trouble and sneaking out late at night when in actuality you spend your nights coming up with the best ice cream flavors in existence.” Hyuna commented, putting an arm around her child, pride evident in her tone.

 

“I just like making ice cream, nothing wrong with that.” Hyemi blushed, she liked being labeled as the bad girl, it made people stay away from her and gave her more time to think about ice cream.

 

“Hyemi the bad is secretly a softy.” Hyuna school yard chanted repeatedly, her wife and father joining in on the teasing.

 

Hyemi pouted at them, getting her cheeks pinched by her appa. “You’re such a cutie too!”

 

“I’m going to bed, you’re all mean and I have school tomorrow.” The girl crossed her arms and stormed off to her bedroom to get ready for bed.

 

**

 

Eunji answered the door, letting her parents finish cooking. She still had no idea why they invited their wedding planner over for dinner. They probably hadn’t seen the woman in twenty years. Her discontent was discarded as she opened the door.

 

On the other side of the door was the most beautiful woman the girl had ever seen, she smiled at the woman, dimples showing. The smile grew when she saw the woman blush at her.

 

Dinner was spent with Taeyeon and Sunny catching up with the wedding planner while Eunji ate her food with emphasis on the usage of her tongue.

 

After the meal, Eunji walked the woman out to her car, upset with herself for not getting her number. She heard the woman’s car sound like a dying animal, she had to fight the grin on her face. She ran back inside, telling her parents that she would drive Jiyoung home since her car broke down.

 

Although the woman didn’t live very far, Eunji didn’t return home for several hours. She had gotten her phone number and some.

 

**

 

Sungah sat patiently at the dinner table, waiting for Gyuri to come home from work. There was a loud banging on the door, she could smell the alcohol on her appa’s breath. Sunghee was at the door in an instant, Gyuri falling into her when she opened the door.

 

“Did you and Hyomin have a drinking contest again?” Another body fell on top of Gyuri. “Sungah! They’re heavy!”

 

The girl was by her umma in a flash, lifting Hyomin off of Gyuri and leaning her against the wall to take Gyuri off of Sunghee.

 

“How you get so tall?” Gyuri tilted her head back to look at her giant of a daughter.

 

“You’re just short.” Hyomin giggled from her place on the wall, Sunghee had left to call Jiyeon to pick up her drunk wife.

 

Sungah winced as the woman kicked her in the shin. “Who’s short now?!”

 

“You are.” Sungah carried the woman up to the bedroom, hearing Hyomin fall to the floor from giggling so much.

 

Sungah threw her appa on the bed. “Appa, you gotta stop letting petty arguments turn into drinking contests. You’re the chief of police, set an example.”

 

Gyuri rolled onto her side, she looked like she was about to say something but she passed out.

 

The teenager went back downstairs, her aunt had fallen asleep on the floor. Sunghee sidled up next to her. “I just checked my phone, apparently your appa was defending your honor.”

 

“I’m just going to go home umma, I love you.” Sungah leaned down to kiss her umma’s hair.

 

“Hyuna is picking you up in the morning. Sleep well baby.” Sunghee hugged the girl’s waist, smiling sadly as she left.

 

She waited for Jiyeon to come and get Hyomin before going to bed, putting Gyuri’s head on her chest.

 

“I know you want to protect your baby, just think of other ways, okay?” Sunghee ran her hands through the older woman’s hair, falling asleep in the middle of her ministrations.

 

**

 

As soon as dinner and a movie finished in the Kim residence, Minha ran up to her room to get ready for bed, wanting to be well rested for her first day of school. Fei rolled her eyes, partly in annoyance but mostly at the eagerness of the girl.

 

When Minha finished her nightly routine, she jumped into bed and stuck her arm under the mattress looking for a small book. She opened the book and out slid a picture of Park Hyuna, smiling in her softball uniform. She had bribed the friend of a friend to get the picture for her and it was well worth giving the girl her lunch for a week.

 

She kissed the picture before gently tucking it back into the book. The girl found her pen on her desk and started writing her next entry:

 

Dear Book of Dreams,

 

Tomorrow I start school again and I’m really excited because Hyorin is going to be there. This is Hyuna’s last year, I’m really sad that she’s going to graduate and leave and then I’ll never see her again. BoD, this is the year I confess my feelings to her, I don’t care if Fei unnie doesn’t like her, I like her and that’s all that matters, right? Fei unnie is going to graduate this year too but I’ll see her all of the time so it’s not all that emotional and stuff.

 

I hope I meet new friends and get closer to Hyuna unnie, I really like her. I suppose that’s all for now, I really should be getting to sleep it’s getting really late, almost nine thirty. Goodnight BoD <3

 

Love,

Kim Minha (one day I’ll be Park Minha keke)