chapter two.

The Revenge

Kai dragged his feet down a familiar corridor with a heavy heart. He disliked the fact that his girlfriend was in another guy’s house. Oh, the irony. Sehun’s house is the only place where Minyoung would go. She had no one else to run to.

Kai and Sehun used to be the best of friends in middle school until Kai got popularity into his head. Till then, they drifted apart. They started to sit in different tables and started to call different people their friends. Sehun was lonely until he met Minyoung. Sehun is in love with her ever since then, much to her obliviousness. Everyone knew, except her. She just thought that they were only best buddies.

They were together through thick and thin and when Minyoung went head over heels in love with Kai, Sehun had to stand back. The pain of watching the one you love falling in love with another person is unbearable. But you can’t simply take away one’s happiness for your own. To see her happy, was what he always wanted, even if he wasn’t a part of it. Depression would have been a common thing to go through but he stayed strong knowing that he didn’t need to make things complicated than it already is. Much to his relief, their friendship never wavered. They stood strong.

 

Flashback

 

“I’m sorry, Minyoung. I promise, I swear I’ll stop my ways. I’ll end my relationship with her as long as you stay with me. Please… I need you… I love you…”

“I don’t know, Jongin… I don’t think I can do this anymore,”

 

“Please, just one last chance. I swear, I swear I’ll make things change between us,” he begged, with tears running down his face.

“Okay… fine. Just promise me that you won’t be with her again, please,”


“I promise you,” he whispered and pulled her into her arms.

 

End of flashback

 

Kai stopped in his tracks and sighed as he stand in front of Sehun’s apartment door. He hesitated. His heart was palpitating fast as he tried to predict what would happen once the door opens later on. It’s either he leaves the place with or without a girlfriend.

 

*Knock knock*

Giggles, laughter, squeals… The door opened, unveiling Sehun in shorts.

 

“Um, hi. I need to talk to Minyoung,” he mumbled.

“Oh, sure. Come on in,” Sehun replied. Kai was then led into the living room and was met with a confused Minyoung. Sehun went over to her and whispered in her ear before getting a nod as a response from her.

 

“We were just watching TV and having tea. Help yourself with cake. We’re going to change,” said Minyoung with a monotonous voice before making her way into the room with Sehun following her. Kai clenched his fists as he shot daggers at Sehun’s back as it disappeared into the room and was replaced with the door. He unclenched his fist and buried his face in his palms. He looked around and saw that they were actually enjoying each other’s company. On a small table, there was tea and vanilla cake.

He felt uneasy and his palms were sweating. He was nervous and worried. Worried that something would go wrong. What if Minyoung doesn’t want him back anymore? But Minyoung always believed in second chances right?

He was scared of rejection. Always has been. Rejection was something he rarely faced thanks to his reputation. An heir to his father’s company, handsome and charming, things will always go his way.

 

Well, not this time. 

 

 


 

 

Minyoung was sitting across Kai with her legs crossed and was fiddling with her fingers. They were both nervous. It was as if they were never in love before. Sehun was in the kitchen, wanting to give them privacy but couldn’t help himself but to watch from the side.

The atmosphere was thick and tense and their throats were dry. Any subtle movements would have made them startled.

 

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, breaking the silence. 

Sorry. It’s been used too commonly now that Minyoung couldn’t taste the sincerity of it anymore. She has grown immune to forgiving and was growing tired of it all.

 

“No, I’m sorry. I’m breaking up with you. I can’t do this anymore,” she said, as their eyes met.

 

Someway, somehow, Kai was expecting and was prepared to hear that but he wasn’t prepared on how to react. Breaking up? That’s what he does. He has never been dumped before. He felt numb. He felt like his world ended as much to his exaggeration.

 

“Sehun and I will get my stuffs soon but for now, leave. Please. I believe there’s nothing more to talk about,” she said as she stood up. He looked at her in dismay. How can she be so… okay?


“What you’re feeling now is nothing to what I’m feeling now and what I have been feeling. 

You chose her over me. You risked our relationship for . That’s how pathetic you are. You have never cherished me and acknowledged me ever since you met Krystal. You forgot about me. You’re just with me because you need company. I’m tired of this, Kai. I deserve happiness too,” she answered, as if reading his mind.

 

Kai wondered why it is called heartbreak. He felt like every other part of his body was breaking too. As if he was in a stampede, his heart was crushed into bits and pieces. His eyes were burning with unshed tears as he tried to find his voice. Is this how it feels like putting yourself into her shoes? His hands were trembling as he closed his eyes, trying to control the tears that were prickling his eyelids. With a sigh, his tears defied him and started stream down his face. With another sigh, he stood up and walked over to the kitchen. He found Sehun sitting at the dining table and was on his phone.

 

“Hey, man. I need to tell you some things,” he said, making eye contact. Getting raised eyebrows from Sehun as a reply, he continued. 

“I love her. I really do. But being a greedy man I am, I messed up big time, huh? I have a favor, Sehun. You know, for old times’ sake.

Take care of her just like how I should have. Make her feel like the princess she is. She deserves the best because she is the best. If she weren’t, she wouldn’t have put up with me this long, huh?” 

Kai was embarrassed and flustered. How pathetic was he. He was in misery and despair. He wasn’t his confident-self anymore. He was just Kim Jongin – a victim of heartbreak who was asking someone else to take care of the one he loves.

 

“I will,” whispered Sehun and gave Kai a pat on his back. With that, Kai left. He couldn’t bear it anymore. Being here makes him feel weak. His eyes were screaming in agony. He was helpless and alone. He skin was dull and his lips were dry and chapped. As Sehun closed the door, he could hear Minyoung’s sobs inside the room. He sighed as he made his way to his room.

There she was on his bed. He sat next to her and pulled her into a hug.

 

“I did the right thing, right?” she muttered.

“Of course you did, Minyeo,” he whispered into her ear. 

 

 


 

 

They giggled as they left the theatre and talked about the movie they just watched. It was Saturday evening and this was Sehun’s attempt at cheering her up. If people were to look past them, they would’ve thought that they were a normal couple going on a date. Well, in Sehun’s mind it was one. But I guess, fate always has its way to stir up emotions and change the situation as fast as lighting.

They were just entering a local diner for dinner when Minyoung pulled Sehun out and said that she wanted to eat at the mall instead. At the corner of the small diner, she saw Kai and she wasn’t ready to move on. Sehun then noticed and agreed to leave. On the other hand, Kai too saw from the moment they entered and leave. Just about an hour ago, Krystal left too.

 

Flashback

 

“Hey, babe,” chirped Krystal as she placed a kiss on Kai’s lips, ignoring the fact that Kai didn’t return the kiss.

“Hi,” he mumbled a reply.

 

“Listen, I got to tell you something.” He continued and fiddled with his thumbs as he gathered the little courage that was left in him.

“We have got to stop our relationship. I’m going to take over my father’s company as CEO. This… this thing that we’re having, is going to ruin my reputation,” he tried to reason.

 

“Liar. Liar. It’s because of that girl, isn’t it?” she snarled, shocking Kai.

“N-no, really. My dad-“

 

“Stop lying, Kai! You told me that you loved me! You said that you’d leave her when the time is right! I stood by you!” she wept, attracting attraction from the people in the diner.

“Krystal, please-“

 

“No, shut up. It’s no wonder she left you first before you did. You’re just pathetic and unreasonable. You only think about yourself and ever about others,” she snarled before landing her palm hard onto Kai’s cheek. Kai kept quiet as she took her things and left in pure anger. He couldn’t bring himself to defend or defy her words because it was indeed the truth – as painful as it sounded. It was for the best, right?

 

End of flashback

 

Kai was still in the diner an hour after the incident. Still thinking about what Krystal had said. When he saw Minyoung leaving unhappy the moment their eyes met, he felt ashamed. She didn’t even want to see him. His heart ached at the sight of Sehun wrapping his arms around her shoulder, wanting to soothe her down. 

He left his seat and exited the diner, wanting to observe them but every move tore his heart apart. He watched as they got inside the car and Sehun caressing Minyoung’s cheek before placing a kiss on her forehead. He held his breath as he watched, only exhaling when the car took off.

Now he knows how it feels like losing someone… to someone else. You’d feel lost and astray. It was as though the entire world was against you and you’ve lost the purpose of life. Waves of remorse was consuming him. Maybe there’s more that he could have done before but he only has the guilt to remind him to do better next time… if there was any next time.

 

 

“That should be me,” he sighed.

 

 


 

What do you think? Yay or nay? Comment your thoughts so I can improve, okay! Don't forget to subscribe and upvote, hehehehe. Love you guys!