Interlude III

Miscalculation

A/n: Sass ensues. Also a little sadness. Just a short Kris interlude that takes place at the same time as the last chapter.

It was a relief when exams ended. The graduation ceremony was the very next evening, and Kris invited everyone in his group to join him. Only Kim Jongin couldn’t attend, because he was going on his annual camping trip with his family, but otherwise everyone okay-ed. Chanyeol and Baekhyun went together, of course, and Jongdae took Yixing. And Kris picked up Tao at his house, finding it odd to see him in a suit, although he still looked very good – still exuding a James Bond-like mysteriousness. Kris himself felt strange in his own suit, even though he knew he looked fantastic. He really wasn’t that enthusiastic about this night. Well, maybe later tonight, when the suits were shed and strewn on the floor, but not the next couple hours. He was not really one for formal events.

Arriving at the school, Kris almost immediately spotted Chanyeol, and beside him, Baekhyun who had finally gotten rid of his wheelchair in favour of crutches. A week before, he’d gotten his arm cast removed, and now he seemed comfortable enough to put weight on it. Chanyeol still hovered around him and glared when anyone stepped anywhere near Baekhyun. When he saw Kris, his face instantly brightened and he waved, Baekhyun turning his head to see him and smiling as well. Kris and Tao made their way over, and the two younger boys chimed in a “congratulations!” before asking where Jongdae and Yixing were.

A few minutes later, the two in question made their appearance, lightly holding hands so as not to lose one another in the crowd, which for some reason really peeved Kris.

“Congrats, man,” Jongdae said with a grin. “You’re graduating and we still can’t get rid of you.”

Kris laughed. “You’d be lost without me anyway. Hey, Xing.”

He tried not to let his eyes linger too much. But Zhang Yixing in a suit was a gorgeous sight. Out of all of them, he easily suited (no pun intended) it best. His dark hair was artfully disheveled and he was smiling, his single dimple just barely appearing, tempting Kris as it always did. Yixing released Jongdae’s hand and moved forward to hug Kris lightly.

“Congratulations,” he said warmly in Chinese.

“Thanks,” Kris replied, hugging the younger back and breathing in his scent. Normally, Yixing wore his cologne so that it was almost unnoticeable, and it blurred in with the sweet scent of his shampoo and the clean soap and laundry detergent. He was a blend of delicious, faint smells that never failed to draw Kris in, and Kris hated that. But worse, tonight Yixing’s cologne was a bit stronger, and it made Kris feel weak-kneed.

He hated Yixing. Kris could have absolutely anyone in the world he wanted, he was extremely confident in this fact. But Zhang Yixing was an exception. His charms and looks seemed entirely ineffective on the boy. The one person he had wanted the most. The one person who his feelings had never fully faded for. Stupid Yixing. Stupid Kris and his stupid feelings for stupid Yixing. Stupid Kris coming back to this stupid school because he couldn’t get past his stupid feelings for stupid Yixing.

Yeah, he really hated Yixing.

He was thinking he might hate Kim Jongdae too, because of the proximity the younger boy had with Yixing right now. But that vanished quickly with the arrival a short, dapper but still adorable round-faced boy and his blond, pretty-faced boyfriend. Minseok appeared in the front entrance doorway, Luhan on his arm, and he stood on his toes, seeming to be scanning the room for someone. His eyes landed on Kris’ group, and he smiled his cute hamster smile that Kris knew made Jongdae weak in just the same way Yixing’s cologne did to Kris. Then Minseok disappeared in the crowd before suddenly popping up in front of them.

“Jongdae-yah!”

He had dragged Luhan by the hand through the people, but spotting Jongdae he let go of the other boy and, when Jongdae willingly opened his arms, threw himself at him.

“Hey, Seokkie hyung,” Jongdae said with the softness that was reserved only for this hyung. “Congratulations.” Kris felt bad that his friend couldn’t even manage a witty comment. He didn’t hate Minseok or anything – it was almost impossible to hate the older boy – but he didn’t like anything that had happened between him and Jongdae. Even if Jongdae should have known – which he had, and he’d still done what he’d done, so the blame fell on both of them. And now, somehow he’d convinced Minseok that he was perfectly fine when that was so far from the truth. Kris knew Jongdae was depressed, though he put on a good show. He still hooked up at parties, but he had no real interest in anyone. It was all messed up. At least after this, Minseok and Luhan would both be gone and Jongdae would be able to move on.

“Thanks, Jongie!” Minseok was bold enough to kiss Jongdae’s cheek, making Jongdae smile sadly and Luhan scowl. Minseok talked cheerfully with his ex, and the rest of the group – especially Kris, asking what his plans for next year were and seeming enthusiastic when Kris said he was coming back to the high school. Eventually, he spotted other graduating friends and he and Luhan departed, Minseok giving Jongdae a final hug. When he was gone, they all seemed to exhale a breath they hadn’t realized they were holding.

“Well,” Chanyeol broke the silence left. “That was awkward. Not that I don’t love Minseok, but him and Jongdae and Luhan in one place is never something that should happen again.”

“Seriously,” Kris agreed. Jongdae didn’t say anything. “Alright, let’s move.”

They made their way into the auditorium, taking their seats and beginning the wait for the long ceremony to end. It dragged on, and when they all finally walked out the doors again, nearly two hours later, they were all yawning.

“That was boring as hell,” Kris said.

“Yeah, and we all have to do it again next year,” Baekhyun noted. “And we’re making you come suffer with us.”

“You’ll be lucky,” Kris argued. But he would go next year, because Yixing was graduating next year, and so were the rest of his friends, and it wouldn’t be fair not to go. “Were you even paying attention? It seems like you were just being all handsy with ‘Yeol.”

“Well, if you had someone to feel up to pass the time, I’m sure you wouldn’t be stopping yourself,” Baekhyun argued, and he glanced past Kris to look at Tao. Or was he looking at Yixing? They were both on his other side. What was he trying to say?

“Yeah, I’ll find someone tonight,” Kris said certainly. “Are you going to the party, crutch boy?”

“Watch it,” Chanyeol warned. It was all just playful, but Kris knew to step back. Not that he was afraid of Chanyeol, but he wasn’t stupid.

“We’re going,” Baekhyun confirmed. “We’ll be celebrating you not-leaving.”

“How do you even?” Jongdae put in. “Like, you’re all broken and , how are you still screwing?”

Chanyeol grinned mischievously as Baekhyun said, “It takes more than some broken bones to stop love. And boners.”

“You’re gross,” Jongdae told them, and Baekhyun’s smirk matched Chanyeol’s.

A couple hours and sojus later, the party at who cares whose house was rocking and Kris was working his way up to getting laid. Surprisingly, he couldn’t find Tao, though the boy was usually trailing on his heels. Had he said something? That was unlikely. He didn’t care much right now. He’d just spotted a boy pulling loose the knot of his tie and ing the top of his dress shirt.

Yixing, how could you do this to me? His jacket was already gone, the cuffs of his shirt undone and his sleeves pushed up to his elbows. He looked comfortable but a bit warm, and so very, very y. Kris advanced, wrapping an arm around Yixing’s waist from behind, making the boy turn and give him his precious smile.

“Hello, Kris,” he said pleasantly. “You’ve been drinking.”

“Who hasn’t?” Kris chuckled, though Yixing likely hadn’t been, at least not much. He wasn’t really one for alcohol.

Yixing smiled. “How is your evening going?”

Kris pulled him closer, and Yixing didn’t seem to mind. He never minded anything. He probably didn’t even notice. But then Kris pressed his lips roughly against the younger’s, hand moving to Yixing’s jaw to hold him steady against his mouth. When Kris pulled away, he smirked.

“Amazing, now.”

But Yixing’s smile had faded, the dimple vanished.

“Kris,” he said lightly. “I don’t feel that way about you. I love you as my friend, but I’ve never been in love with you. I don’t want you to kiss me.”

He didn’t shrug out of Kris’ grip, but his words were firm, unwavering. Kris waited, part of him hoping he would change his mind, say “Just kidding!” or something, but it never came. Eventually he sighed, releasing Yixing from his grip.

“I… guess I already knew that,” he said, disappointed all the same. “I just thought I would try.” Yixing’s smile returned, sympathetic. “It’s not because – you’re not seeing someone else, are you?”

“Someone else?”

Kris thought of Oh Sehun, the way Yixing talked to him a week ago at the school’s soccer game. Like they were friends. “You and Sehun… You seem close. I didn’t even know you’d ever talked to him.” Yixing stared. “Is that some secret fling you’ve had going?”

His musical laugh fell from his lips. “No,” he said, eyes crinkled. “I don’t have ‘secret flings’, Kris.”

“But are you two…”

“I can like who I want, ge.” There was something in his voice that Kris rarely heard. Not quite anger. Irritation. Independence. Yixing didn’t care how Kris felt about him, or if Kris didn’t approve of his relationships.

“I know-”

“If I do like him, are you going to beat him up? Show me how strong and manly you are and make me fall in love with you instead?”

Kris’ stomach dropped. “No, Xing, I wouldn’t do that!” he rushed. Then he added,  “I would never do that, not to you.” Not when he was the exception to every rule. The one who didn’t have to listen to him, follow his rules. The exception to being a badass. The exception that made Kris decide to desert the throne of popularity. The exception to falling in love.

“Well aren’t I lucky?” There was the slightest hint of sarcasm in Yixing’s voice, but that was huge when it came to Yixing. He was never sarcastic. He was never angry. It entirely sobered Kris. And scared the hell out of him.

“Yixing, don’t be mad, please.” Don’t be mad at me. Don’t hate me. Not you. “If you want to be with him… that’s not up for me to decide. I’m not gonna stop you or anything. Just do what you want.”

Yixing laughed, but his eyes were still cool. “I’m glad I have your permission.”

“Really, Xing, I just want you to be happy.” Kris had never felt so afraid, certainly not over possibly losing a friend. Friends came and went. People got sick of him. He didn’t really care. But Yixing was his exception. “If you’re not happy with me – I mean, you would be, I know you would.” Because he would. Who wouldn’t be? And Kris would make him happy, because he wanted Yixing to be happy. “Then just, do what you want. Whatever you want.” Just don’t hate me. Don’t leave me.

Yixing’s smile said so much. That he knew, exactly the affect he had on Kris; that, when everyone thought he was zoned out and not paying attention, he was – he always was, he just didn’t act like it; that he knew he was the most powerful person in the world, in Kris’ world, without trying at all. No one could control him. He knew it. His words confirmed it.

“Don’t I always?”

A/n: And then Kris went off and took his sadness out by sleeping with Tao. Yixing is having none of your , Kris. Anyways, new chapter sometime? Hopefully soon. Please upvote, if you would. <3 Thank you lovelies!