The Days We Spent Together

Kokoro Kiseki (Miracle of the Soul)

Word Count: 1,466

 

Baekhyun rolled over the next morning to find nothing beside him. At some point in the night, Kyungsoo had gotten up but Baekhyun had no idea where he might have gone. He wouldn’t have just run off, but at the same time, in the months that Baekhyun had been living with him, he never left, he stuck to Baekhyun, almost a little too closely for comfort at times.

Baekhyun slid out of bed to go look for him, shuffling sleepily out of the bedroom and down the stairs. “Kyungsoo?” he called tiredly. He wasn’t really a morning person and often spent at least a half an hour mentally preparing himself to get out of bed in the mornings. Sometimes he spent the half hour talking to Kyungsoo, sometimes he just lay there with Kyungsoo’s arms wrapped loosely around his waist.

“Baek. I’m in the kitchen.” Baekhyun heard Kyungsoo’s voice and shuffled toward the kitchen. “Good morning Baek-ah,” Kyungsoo said with the false smile on his lips.

“Good morning. What are you doing up and about?” Baekhyun yawned.

“Well, if my databanks are correct, today is your birthday,” Kyungsoo said uncertainly.

Baekhyun turned to the calendar hung on the wall and saw that it was indeed his birthday. “So it is…”

“So I thought that I would make you breakfast today,” Kyungsoo continued.

“You don’t need to do that,” Baekhyun replied kindly.

“I want to do it,” Kyungsoo said with cute determination. The expression on Kyungsoo’s face looked, just for a moment, human. Baekhyun smiled at him before taking a seat at the table.

Kyungsoo turned back to cooking and Baekhyun stared at his back, smiling rather stupidly. Kyungsoo hummed “3.6.5” happily as he went back and forth about he kitchen preparing the food. Baekhyun didn’t want to admin it, but the boy, no robot, he corrected mentally; the mecha was growing on him. Kyungsoo turned around, breakfast in hand, to a staring Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked away quickly, face flushing pink.

“S-sorry,” he said, turning away.

“No. It’s fine. I don’t really mind.” The smile the mecha gave Baekhyun was slowly overriding his brain’s reminder that Kyungsoo was still a robot.

Kyungsoo set the plate down in front of Baekhyun then sat down across the table from him, watching intently as he rested his chin on his hands. Baekhyun took a bite and his eyes widened. “This tastes delicious! Sorry, I don’t mean to sound surprised,” he said ears turning pink.

“I just looked up some recipes, actually. I’m glad they turned out well.” He giggled lightly as Baekhyun began o stuff his face. “I can make you breakfast every day if you want me to,” Kyungsoo said.

“Oh, no. It’s fine. You don’t have to do that for me,” Baekhyun said, covering his mouth with his hand to mask the partially chewed food.

“Since it’s your birthday, why don’t we take the day off? It seems that you don’t really give yourself free time at all,” Kyungsoo wondered out loud. “And when you do give yourself free time, it’s only for an hour or two,” he continued. “Maybe we should go shopping in the city. I’ve heard that it’s fun to go shopping with friends even if you do not actually buy anything.”

“Sure. I’ve not been out like that in ages.” Baekhyun grinned but Kyungsoo’s heart didn’t whir any faster than normal, although he supposed that a human heart would beat faster when confronted with such a situation. He momentarily wondered what it was like, to feel a faster heartbeat due to a look but pushed the thoughts aside and returned the smile.

 

--

 

“Kyungsoo, please never wear that ever again,” Baekhyun laughed as he looked at Kyungsoo wearing the most ridiculous outfit he had ever seen. Kyungsoo was wearing baggy pants two sizes too big that joined around his knees and got suddenly skinny a little lower than that. The pattern on the pants was plaid with red and yellow stripes over a sky blue fabric. Underneath a collared shirt three sizes too big, he wore a white tank top. The collared shirt was only buttoned at the bottom button, revealing most of the top underneath. The pattern on the collared shirt was green and indigo polka dots. The patterns clashed so harshly it almost hurt Kyungsoo’s eyes just to look at it.

“What? I thought I looked fantastic,” Kyungsoo joked.

“There is no one in the entire world who would be able to wear that and look remotely good,” Baekhyun replied, still giggling.

“Oh come off it. I look absolutely fabulous,” Kyungsoo said, wiggling his eyebrows and triggering another wave of hysterical laughing.

“P-please st-stop,” Baekhyun panted as he caught his breath. “If you don’t stop, I think I’ll keel over dead from lack of oxygen with all of this laughing.” Kyungsoo laughed too, shoulders bouncing up and down as if he really was human and as if he really was laughing.

“Well then. What do you suggest I try on next if you’re such a fashionista?”

“Mayhaps something that looks remotely normal, like this,” he said, holding up a black shirt with a silver insignia and a dark denim jacket. Below the insignia read “strength” in jagged letters. “And your jeans should be fine with it.” Kyungsoo was wearing what he was when he was first started again. Usually he just borrowed Baekhyun’s clothes as they were basically the same size, but Baekhyun thought that he should have his own wardrobe. It would make him feel even more real, although whether that was a good thing or not was debatable.

He came back out again grinning like an idiot. “I think this looks a lot better than what I had on before.”

“I agree. That other thing was an offense to fashion designers everywhere. I’m sure there was a general shiver down all of their spines that such a thing happened,” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo laughed again.

“Do you want it?”

“I don’t really care. Why?”

“I just feel like it would be nice if you had your own wardrobe.”

“Do you not like me wearing your clothes?”

“It’s not that. I just feel like it would be more fitting for you somehow,” Baekhyun replied.

“Then sure. If you want to.” Kyungsoo beamed with his slightly heart-shaped smile.

“Choose anything you like,” Baekhyun said. He’d saved up a lot of money for nothing in particular over the years. Despite the cheap price of his mechas, he was still loaded. Five minutes later, Kyungsoo came back with €700 worth of clothes in a stack.

“You really like all of that? Are you trying to buy the whole store,” Baekhyun joked.

“Are you angry with me that I want to buy all of this?”

“Nope. I’m fine with it. Like I said, you can get anything you want.” It wouldn’t burn too much of a hole in his wallet with the savings he had. The real problem came with dragging around the bags of stuff they had bought. Baekhyun was not strong by any stretch of the imagination and the bags were quite heavy.

 

--

 

They stopped for ramyeon at a time sometime between lunch and dinner before heading back home. Baekhyun ate and Kyungsoo watched him, but more lovingly than creepily.

“Thank you again for buying me all of this stuff,” he said again, smiling.

“No problem at all,” Baekhyun replied, covering his hand with his mouth, eye smile big.

When they finally returned home, Baekhyun set the bags down on the table with a sigh of relief and Kyungsoo set his bags down next to them.

“I suppose that you will be using the closet in the guest room for all of these,” he said, realising that his own closet was rather full.

“Okay. That sounds good,” Kyungsoo replied, beaming.

“Oh, I almost forgot. I got you some eyeliner. I don't know whether it counts as a gift because you technically paid for it but it’s the thought that counts right? I know how much you like the stuff, like how you put it on before a customer comes in or before you go out of the house, and this is a really nice brand, so I thought I’d get it for you.” He grinned, presenting the object. “Happy birthday. I hope it was enjoyable for you.”

“Thank you Kyungsoo. It was a great birthday,” he replied, hugging his friend.

“And I also plan on making you dinner too,” Kyungsoo said with cute determination. “After I put away the clothes of course.”

“Yeah. Of course.” Baekhyun smiled at the figure as Kyungsoo left the room. The boy was seriously getting to him, no the mecha, Baekhyun corrected mentally, although he wasn’t sure anymore exactly how far Kyungsoo was from being an actual person.

 

A/N: So Kyungsoo was built on his birthday and now a couple months have passed and we're at Baekhyun's. I hope this turned out fluffy! So the outfit I was describing should resemble this. It was a rather unfortunate outfit... The insignia on the shirt is Kyungsoo's MAMA symbol. I'm rubbish at describing such things, so I just thought I'd tell you in the event you were wondering what it looked like, but I hoped the text below it hinted enough... If you just can't picture it, here's a link to what it looks like this, but I'm sure you all know what it looks like. XD 

So there will be about 6 more chapters and then an epilogue, mayhaps more than 6? I like to keep my chapters between 750-2,000 words long because that's a nice length to write for, or at least I like writing that length for little "episodes" of the story. Thank you to all of the people who subscribed and those of you who dropped a comment and who read this in general. I hope the ending doesn't disappoint you. Next chapter should be out within the week?

-- Kat