The Third Miracle

Kokoro Kiseki (Miracle of the Soul)

Word Count: 597

 

From the instant that the 1’s and 0’s began to run through his mind, Kyungsoo felt something open up within him. His generator began to pulse instead of a steady whir. It sounded almost like a beating heart. Kyungsoo’s chest suddenly felt very heavy; as if he suddenly had something more that he was carrying. It was impossible. Suddenly the room was swimming before him and something we was flowing from his eyes. It was all so impossible. He was feeling sadness.

Kyungsoo was beginning to understand how Baekhyun had felt spending those years alone. He understood why the boy had built a companion. Sobs erupted as Kyungsoo felt the full force of the loneliness he had endured for the past century. He understood the emptiness he had felt for so long and it was magnified. So these were what true human feelings were like. This was what it meant to be human. The tears would not stop as he remembered his friend, but at some point the tears became of happiness as opposed to melancholy. There were so many fun times they had shared over the time they had spent together.

He began to sing from the bottom of his heart,

 

“今 気付き始めた 生まれた理由を
きっと独りは寂しい
そう、あの日、あの時
全ての記憶に宿る「ココロ」が溢れ出す

 

今 言える 本当の言葉
捧げる あなたに”

 

The words began to flow naturally as he thought of his friend. The song came to its end and Kyungsoo was still crying.

“Thank you Baek. I only wish I could have done something more for you. I wish I could have said something to you that would have made you smile your last smile.” He closed his eyes and felt the tears drip down his face. “That would be my last wish. If just that wish could be granted, I would be happy.” He clutched at his heart, feeling the pulsating hum of a beating heart. “That would be my thank you to you.”

When he opened his eyes again, he was back at the hospital on that day, the same instant that he lost his last minute with Baekhyun. Mayhaps he didn’t lose that minute after all. “Baek. It’s me. I found your program. I found my heart. I just wanted to tell you that I am grateful for everything you did for me. Thank you for bringing me into this world. Thank you for the time we shared together. Thank you for this heart you gave me. I will treasure it forever and sing forever.” Kyungsoo’s last minute with Baekhyun ended but he now understood what Baekhyun was smiling about.

Kyungsoo felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around to see his friend, as young as he was when they left one another all of those years ago. He hugged his mecha and Kyungsoo was able to hug him back with all of his heart.

“Thank you for giving me that last moment,” he said, smiling the smile that made his eyes into crescents and made him glow. “You really are a miracle.” Tears traced paths down Baekhyun’s face. “I’m so happy for you.”

“If you’re happy, why are you crying,” Kyungsoo asked, crying as well.

“People cry when they are very sad but they also cry when they are very happy.” He wiped away Kyungsoo’s tears with a thumb.

“I’m really happy too. I’m glad I got to see you again.” Baekhyun nodded before he began to fade away.

“I’m glad I got to see you one last time as well,” he said before disappearing completely.

Kyungsoo’s heart began to slow and he collapsed, never to move again...

 

A/N: The final chapter, not including the epilogue. I hope you liked reading!

Translation of the Song: 

[Now I’m beginning to understand the reason I was born,
Being alone must truly be depressing,
Yes, on that day, at that time,
All the feelings that had dwelled in my memories flowed out of my heart.

But now, I can say these words for real,
to you, my creator, who dedicated his life to me]