Chapter 21 - Father's Wish... Granted

Act Like Nothing's Wrong

*Lee Ann’s POV*

“Mama, I’m alright. There’s no need to transfer me here. I’ll be ok at home” I struggled to speak, reaching out to Mama’s hands. I am lying of course; I’m in so much pain right now.

“You have to stop lying to us, darling. Mama and Papa, we’re both sorry we have no idea you’ve been going through this alone. Now you just concentrate on getting better and then we’ll leave Seoul ok?” Mama said with tears in her eyes, as she took my hand which is reaching out to her and my hair with the other.

“I’m sorry Mama” Mama just nodded and continued to touch my face, her tears now falling off her cheeks. I know I have inconvenience both my parents and I hate it. And now I feel like I’m breaking their hearts. I’ve broken Seunghyun’s heart already, and now my parents?

“Mama, where did Papa go to?” I asked, because I didn’t see him since I got this room. I know he was with me in the ambulance earlier but I fell asleep and I haven’t since him since I woke up a while ago.

“He’s settling some papers downstairs, darling. He’ll be up soon ok?” Mama replied as she wiped the tears off her face.

I closed my eyes, letting the pain pass. But I saw Seunghyun in my head.

“Mama, does Seunghyun know?” I opened my eyes and asked again.

Mama kept quiet and shook her head. But she had a weird look on her face, it seems like she’s hiding something from me. But I’m too tired to figure out what that look meant.

“Please don’t tell him Mama. He’s very busy and he’s very tired. I don’t want him to worry” I managed to speak amidst resisting the pain.

“Ok darling. Stop talking and rest ok?” Mama said. I know there’s more than meets the eye but I really didn’t have the energy to probe.

I closed my eyes once again and I thought about the last conversation I had with Seunghyun over the phone few nights ago. I must have really pissed him off for him to drop the “F” bomb on me. Plus, I admit I’m at fault. I really shouldn’t have betrayed and lied to him. But there’s no other way! I know Seunghyun and I know he will do anything in his capacity to make sure I go for those consultations. I’m really not sick!

How long have I been out? I have no idea what time or day it is now. All I remembered was how much pain I was in that night when I argued with Seunghyun. I didn’t even bother to argue anymore when he used those words on me. I couldn’t sleep at all that night. I have no idea why but I remembered looking through my wardrobe and taking out all my clothes and throwing them all over my room. I don’t think it helped with my pain at all. But I do remember that I started puking blood again and I couldn’t stop, and I guess I passed out from that.

I miss Seunghyun so much and I’m dying to hear from him but I guess he’s still angry at me. I’m sorry Hyun.

*Seunghyun’s POV*

As soon as we reached the hospital, both Jiyong and I pulled our hoodies and tried to be as normal as possible, hoping that we will not catch any attention. Since both of us are not very familiar with this hospital, we decided to play it cool and walked towards the nurses’ counter instead of running and rushing, like we always do.

“Excuse me, may I check if you have a patient by the name of Kim Lee Ann here? She just transferred from SNUH this morning” I enquired with this young nurse behind the computer at the nurses’ corner. She is alone and was engrossed with whatever she was doing behind the screen.

 “Omo! TOP!” she gasped as she looked up at me. She looked to my right and gasped again. “Omo! G-Dragon!” she gasped; her eyes wide and she had her hands over , probably stopping herself from shrieking. However, she didn’t answer my question.

I looked at her badge and saw that her name is Choi Lee Ann. What are the odds? I gave her a smile.

“Lee Ann-ssi, would you be able to help us check where the patient is please? Her name is KIM Lee Ann” I paused. “Lee Ann; such a sweet name” I said, thinking of MY Lee Ann. Jiyong nudged my arms and sniggered.

The nurse snapped out of her daze and blushed slightly, and then she checked on the computer.

“Oh… uhmm… she is upstairs. Uhmm… you go up to Level 3 from the lift up ahead, Bed 2” she said, but she didn’t look at us.

“Alright, thank you Lee Ann-ssi” I said and pulled Jiyong away from the counter to head for the lift.

Jiyong turned round and nudged me again.

“Hyung! Did you just flirt with the nurse back there?” he asked; his eyes wide.

“Huh? What? God NO! Why would I be flirting?” I replied.

“Such a sweet name” Jiyong mimicked my earlier statement to the nurse, while giving me the eye.

I giggled. “Oh, that! Did you see her name? CHOI Lee Ann. When Lee Ann marries me in the future, THAT will be her name Ji. She will no longer be a Kim” I explained, a smile on my face. I don’t know why but it gave me a fuzzy feeling. Someday, I really do want to marry my Lee Ann.

“Oh! I didn’t notice that, Hyung. For a while there I thought you were flirting. I was ready to break your neck back there!” Jiyong exclaimed.

I laughed it off. Jiyong really cares about me and Lee Ann, and I cannot be more thankful for him.

Both of us took the lift up to the third level as per instructed by the nurse earlier on and walked down the corridor to the wards. Once we entered, Bed 2 is just to our left. The smile I had earlier on slowly disappeared as we got closer.

I had my hands on the door and wanted to push it but suddenly I stopped myself. My heart was beating so fast! My sudden pause made Jiyong bump into me from the back.

“Hyung! What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked.

“What… what if her father is inside?” I managed to speak.

“Then deal with him, Hyung! You either stay or go. Come on, palli!” Jiyong said and he pushed the door.

*Author’s POV*

Seunghyun and Jiyong pushed the room door opened and saw Lee Ann laying on the hospital bed, his father sitting at the edge of the bed where her feet are and her mother is sitting on the chair. Both the parents turned to look at their visitors and both Seunghyun and Jiyong entered the room and gave their bows.

Mr. Kim stood up from the bed, his face shocked.

“How did you find out?” he asked, looking directly at the two boys, his eyes somewhat raging as he walked towards them.

“We… we went to a few hospitals, Uncle Kim” Seunghyun voiced out, slightly apprehensive. Both he and Jiyong stood at their spot and didn’t dare to step any inch closer.

“Look at what you did to my daughter, Seunghyun” Mr. Kim said; his tone firm.

“Yobo!” Mrs. Kim exclaimed as she stood up from the chair and headed towards the crowd. She took her husband by his arms. “Not here, yobo. Not now. Let Seunghyun see her, at least for a while. Please” Mrs. Kim begged her husband.

She knows her daughter misses him, or else she wouldn’t ask about him earlier. Plus the fact that her daughter wanted her to keep it a secret from Seunghyun means that her daughter really loves him and she cannot bear to see her husband break her daughter’s relationship with Seunghyun up. He cannot do this to her, at least not now.

Mr. Kim let go of his wife’s hands on her arms. “Ten minutes, that’s all I’m giving you. You understand, Seunghyun?” he said and left the room, his wife following behind him.

Seunghyun nodded and bowed. He couldn’t understand why Lee Ann’s father is adamant about asking him to leave his daughter. Jiyong on the other hand couldn’t say anything much. He didn’t want to intrude into the family’s affairs but at that point, he felt useless. He knows that similarly to Lee Ann, Seunghyun too, is a selfless person. And if Mr. Kim were to continue his insistence on Seunghyun, he will eventually give up.

Seunghyun walked over the other side of the bed and sat on the chair which Mrs. Kim was sitting on earlier. He reached out for her hands and took them into his. He kissed her hands repeatedly while he uttered softly, “I’m sorry baby, I’m sorry. I love you. I’m sorry…” Seunghyun kept saying sorry and tears fell on his cheeks slowly, while he held on to Lee Ann’s hands tightly.

Lee Ann did not budge; she must be really out because she had her IV stuck to the other hand. Jiyong just stared at the whole situation and he started to falter as well. How could something so beautiful, be so painful at the same time, he thought. He just stared at his Hyung, the love and concern in the elder’s eyes burning but his willpower got weaker.

Little did they realize the full ten minutes they were granted passed just like that.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kim came back into the room. Mrs. Kim looked like she’s been shedding tears as well but Mr. Kim's eyes were still unforgiving.

Seunghyun stood up and gave Lee Ann a kiss on her forehead, pausing momentarily as he closed his eyes and released all his love onto her, unseen by the eye. He bit on his lips as his tears fell on her face, but he didn’t bother to wipe them off. Jiyong reached for Lee Ann’s other hand and them carefully as the IV was stuck. Jiyong was reluctant to leave as well, because he felt that THAT was going to be the last time he will see her.

“Your ten minutes is up. Thank you for coming” Mr. Kim extended his hands towards Jiyong and Jiyong took it, giving him a bow.

“Seunghyun, can we talk for a while?” Mr. Kim said as Seunghyun released Lee Ann’s hands, while wiping the tears off his face with his hoodie. Seunghyun nodded. He walked towards Mrs. Kim and bowed but Mrs. Kim opened her arms wide and took him into her embrace. He was shocked but he didn’t reciprocate. Mrs. Kim rubbed his back and whispered into his ears, “I’m sorry Seunghyun, but this is for the best. Please forgive us” She released her embrace and looked at his face, now puffed up and red from the tears he’s been shedding. She knows it’s hard on him. Seunghyun bowed again and headed towards the door where both Jiyong and Mr. Kim were waiting. He didn’t want to turn back.

The three men walked down the corridor in silence, then took the lift down and headed out.

“I’ll wait in the car, Hyung” Jiyong said to Seunghyun. He then looked at Mr. Kim. “Thank you, Sir, for the opportunity to know your daughter” Jiyong said and bowed again, and then turned to head to the parking lot to look for his manager and the car, leaving Seunghyun and Mr. Kim behind at the hospital entrance.

*Seunghyun’s POV*

“Seunghyun, do you believe in fate?” Uncle Kim asked me as Jiyong left us to talk at the hospital entrance.

“Fate and destiny cannot be forced, Uncle Kim” I replied, anger slowly brewing in me. Uncle Kim is dead serious at his request and now he’s talking about fate? What a joke!

“Yes, I agree. And you’re probably going to curse me to my death bed for doing this to you. But as a father, I want the best for my daughter, Seunghyun. I’m sure you do too” Uncle Kim said. What? Is he trying to be emotionally and politically supportive now?

“I like you Seunghyun. I’ve said this before. And I owe you so much for taking care of my daughter for the past decade and more. It really hurts me to do this but I would rather you and Lee Ann blame me for doing this to both of you, than see both of you suffer. Seunghyun, this has always been your dream. I’m proud of you, son. And you have a whole career ahead of you. Don’t make my daughter be a hindrance” Uncle Kim said.

“No Uncle Kim, Lee Ann has never been a hindrance at all!” I exclaimed, pissed off at all these “burden” talk. What is he thinking? What is wrong with the whole family thinking that they’re all in my way?

“You may not realize it now but as you go up your ladder to success and fame, you will come across bigger hurdles. And the reason why I’m doing this is because I’m selfish, Seunghyun. I don’t want my daughter to suffer. Barely two years and look at what’s happened to her. I cannot imagine any further if she sticks with you. Furthermore, I’m sure you know we are leaving. Let’s make things easier, shall we? Thirteen years of you caring for her is enough. Return Lee Ann to us, Seunghyun” Uncle Kim’s voice slowly changed, and when I looked up, I now saw tears welling up.

“But…” I wanted to rebut but he cut in.

“Please, Seunghyun. I wish you the best in your career, and I will continue to support you in whatever you do. You have a lot to give, Seunghyun. Live your life first. Do all the things you need to do. You’re both still very young. Remember when I mentioned fate earlier? I pray to God that someday you will cross paths again. And by then, both of you have matured and if you do belong with each other, then I will not even attempt to do this again. THIS I promise you, Seunghyun” Uncle Kim said and he put one hand on my left shoulder and squeezed it.

“Do you love my daughter, Seunghyun?” Uncle Kim asked.

“I love her more than life itself, Uncle Kim” I managed to utter amidst my inability to breathe from trying to resist breaking down in front of Uncle Kim. I cannot break down!

“I believe you, Seunghyun. Then do will do this for me. No, you’ll do this for my daughter” he said.

I looked at the man in front of me, his dark eyes are now glistening from the tears which gathered, he looks too desperate. I can’t do this; I can’t be in conflict with this man anymore. I took a deep breath and released it slowly.

“Ok, Uncle Kim. I will leave” I finally said.

Immediately Uncle Kim grabbed both my shoulders and gave me a hug, a very tight one. Unlike the hug from Mrs. Kim, I reciprocated this time. I felt the love of a father for his child, and the pain and sacrifice he’s willing to take for his only daughter. He would rather take the blame now, than see both of us suffer in the long run.

“God bless you, Seunghyun. And I pray that fate bring you and my daughter again in the future. Thank you, son. Thank you” I heard Uncle Kim utter amidst his now cracking voice.

After a while, he let go of me and patted me on the back, forcing a smile. I saw the look of gratefulness in the eyes of the man I regard as my own father.

“We’re leaving in a month. I will not stop you from seeing her, but try not to make things difficult for both of you ok?” Uncle Kim said.

“I got this, Uncle Kim” I paused. I reached for his hands for a handshake and he took it. “Thank you, Uncle Kim. Thank you for this opportunity to get to know your family and your wonderful daughter. If anything, Lee Ann has been the biggest joy in my life and just so you know, I will always love her. Please pray for me, and us. Someday I wish to return to your family, Uncle Kim” I said, keeping my composure. I died inside when I decided to let Lee Ann go. But this is all for our good; both Lee Ann and mine.

I let go of the handshake and bowed to him. He too bowed back and gave me a faint smile. I could see he was hurt as well. I have to go.

I turned round and walked away from Uncle Kim. I looked around the parking area and found the car just at the side of the curb so I headed back to the car where Jiyong and his manager are waiting for me. I will be ok.

*Author’s POV*

Seunghyun walked towards the white SUV and opened the doors to get in. He sat on the car seat beside Jiyong and turned to look at the leader. Seunghyun gave him a faint smile.

“I’ll leave, Ji. I’ll leave” Seunghyun said to his leader and he turned back to look in front, his faint smile disappeared totally. He tilted his head back to the head rest and closed his eyes. Finally that drop of tear fell off the side of his cheeks.

Jiyong saw his Hyung’s tear and he let out a soft sigh.

“Let’s go back to the dorm” Jiyong said and reached out for Seunghyun’s arms. He it a bit but Seunghyun didn’t budge. However tears were now streaming down his cheeks, despite him shutting his eyes tight.

“You’ll be ok, Hyung. You’ll be ok” Jiyong said and the whole journey back to the dorm was nothing but silence.