Chapter 2 – He’s A Heartless Jerk

Act Like Nothing's Wrong

(FLASHBACK: JULY 2008)

*Lee Ann's POV*

“I can’t believe you did this to me! You know what Ann? I regret wasting my time on you. You’ve always said you’re not good for me right? Well yes, you are not! I deserve someone better than you!” Seunghyun uttered, no emotions whatsoever in his voice, nor eyes.

“What Hyun? What are you saying?” I asked, shaken.

“You KNOW what I’m saying. You KNOW what you’ve done. And I am an idol now ok? I have an image to uphold, I cannot let the world know my girlfriend is fat! And I just cannot be the one for you anymore!” Seunghyun raised his voice at me; his eyes dark, frowning.

I winced at his words. “What? You’re mean Hyun. I thought you…” I paused. “Hyun ah, you don’t mean it right?” I spoke softly. I touched his arms but he avoided my touch at an instant. I was shocked at that comment, but I can understand how he feels about me.

“Maybe we SHOULD take a break from each other. You’re leaving anyway. What difference will it make? We will be away from each other so let’s just end things here before things get even worst!” exclaimed Seunghyun.

I felt a sharp pain in my chest, as if someone stabbed me in the heart. I am speechless. How could my Seunghyun turn into an insensitive jerk suddenly? He is indeed an idol now and he has loads of pretty and slim fans that are more than willing to throw themselves at him. I’m just an overweight girl whom nobody will even notice whereas he’s an idol, model, and actor. I knew someday that my weight will be the reason why we break up, and I knew who I am beside him.

I took a deep breath.

“If that is what you want, then fine. I don’t want to be a hindrance to you nor your career. But can you promise me something Hyun? In the future if by some will of God that we meet again, let’s just pretend we do not know each other ok?” I picked up the courage to say that to that sweet boy which will no longer be mine. I surrendered.

“I’ll make sure we don’t meet.” Seunghyun uttered, his words icy cold, his eyes dark. I still cannot believe my once sweet boy could be so cruel and cold. Perhaps being famous and in the limelight changed him. But then again, I don’t blame him at all.

“Good luck Hyun. I pray for the best for you.” I said, unable to muster anymore strength to argue. I couldn’t look into his eyes anymore.

“When are you leaving?” he asked, but this time his tone of voice was slightly different. It felt that somehow he still does care. Or maybe it is just wishful thinking.

“End of the week.” I kept my answer short.

“I’m leaving for Las Vegas the day after next. Good luck to you too Ann.” He extended his hands for a hand shake. I took his hands and shook it.

That was our last physical contact; our ultimate goodbye after thirteen years of friendship. Everything was going to end with just a hand shake. I couldn’t say anything but by then my tears were already clouding my eyes. I couldn’t see his face and I don’t want to either. I let go of his hands and turned around, leaving him behind. He didn’t call out to me so that indicated he really wanted a clean break and that things were already over between us.

I was officially broken. And I can’t wait to leave for Singapore.

*Seunghyun’s POV*

I let go of her hands and saw tears in her eyes. She turned around and walked away from me, not looking back.

Why is it so painful? I don’t want to let go of her! Whatever I just uttered to her were just excuses. I do not regret every second spent for her, in fact those kept me going. She did disappoint me by betraying me like that, but I don’t blame her. She never wanted anything from me; not my money, not my fame, all she wanted is my time but I am unable to grant her that.

I wanted to call out to her but I had to keep my composure so this will work. It cut me deep to say all that to her.

It’s all MY fault, nor her’s. I don’t deserve her, not the other way round!

Baby I’m sorry, mianhe. Gajima…

But I have to let her go, for her own benefit. I cannot destroy her anymore.

And I know I will NEVER find anyone like her again.