Chapter 3 – Once Upon A Time in Seongdong-gu

Act Like Nothing's Wrong

(FLASHBACK: MARCH 1994)

*Lee Ann’s POV*

 “Lee Ann, say Gamsahamnida to this nice uncle please?” Papa instructed. I bowed a little and said the word, giving the uncle a huge smile. I don’t know what that means but the ice lolly Papa is unwrapping looks so delicious!

“Nae, annyeong…” the uncle at the shop said and waved at me. Papa is holding on to my left hand so I waved back to the uncle with my right, my ice lolly hovering in front of me at every wave I made. I on the lolly as both Papa and I leave the store to head home.

“Papa, what does Gam-mi-sam-mida mean? Does it mean Thank You?” I asked. Papa laughed. “It’s Gam-sa-ham-ni-da. Say it again darling?” Papa urged. “Gam-sa-ham-ni-da” I followed. Papa messed with the top of my head and smiled. “Very good darling, and yes that means Thank You in Korean. Remember, you always have to be polite to people alright, although you may not understand yet?” Papa reminded. I nodded and continued to my very delicious blackcurrant flavored ice lolly.

Papa and I walked down the alley towards our new home. We just moved here a few weeks ago and I like this place. I am also happy that I get to see halmeoni and stay with her.

There are a few kids playing at the park opposite our estate. I wanted to play with them but I am nervous. I tugged on Papa’s shirt. “Papa, may I play with them please?” Papa looked down at me and smiled. “No darling, not yet ok? You’re new here and I don’t want you to lose your way. I’ll bring you out here again soon?” I pouted, obviously unhappy. I am 7, not 3! But I think I know why Papa was apprehensive.

We walked past the playground and the kids are looking my way, but they are laughing and pointing at me. Why are they laughing? I don’t know what was wrong so I just smiled at them and waved. They laughed even harder. I looked at Papa and he smiled at me. “Next time ok darling?” he said again, and I nodded.

At the corner of the playground where the sandbox is, I see a chubby boy seated all alone. He looks bigger than the rest of the kids, and is rather intimidating with his dark eyes. He looked at me but he did not laugh, in fact he was frowning slightly. I smiled at him and to my surprise his face instantly lit up. In return, he smiled and waved at me. I waved back and continued to smile and wave at him all the way until he is out of sight.

*Seunghyun’s POV*

I heard the rest of the kids laughing but I don’t know what happened since I am never included in their games, especially anything which requires running. I hate being singled out, but since I punched that skinny boy Jiyong in the face for calling me a pig, they started to allow me to be around them. Most of the time I will be there but I will not join them in their games.

I looked at them laughing at something so I looked that way to see what’s tickling them. There’s this chubby girl with a cute Hello Kitty hairband, holding a man’s hand while on a purple-coloured ice lolly. Yum, my favourite ice lolly! She looks like she’s new here. I looked at her and she suddenly smiled at me. Wow she smiled! I smiled back and waved at her and she did too! She continued to wave and smile at me while my eyes followed her path until she went out of sight. Chong-mal kwiyowo; she is so cute!

(TWO MONTHS LATER)

*Lee Ann’s POV*

Mama dropped me off in front of the store and handed me ₩1,000. “Go straight home after you buy your ice lolly ok darling?” Mama waved at me and she drove off. It has been a few months since I moved and I started school at an International Institute a few kilometres away from home. It takes me about 45 minutes to get to school and another 45 minutes back. Papa would send me off to school then head to the office and Mama would pick me up during her break and head back to work after. They didn’t want me to attend the public school nearby because I cannot speak Korean and back in Singapore, I am already used to the curriculum being taught in English. By now both Papa and Mama have allowed me to roam around by myself but of course limited to certain areas only.

I walked to the shop and chose my favourite ice lolly. I made payment to the nice uncle, not forgetting my Gamsahamnida and left the store. I unwrapped the ice lolly and opened the door which swings outwards; Oops! I accidentally hit someone! “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” I bowed multiple times at the person I bumped into. I looked up to see who it is and shocked to see that it Is that lonely, chubby boy from the park. He rubbed the back of his arms, where the door swung out and hit him. He looked at me and exclaimed, “Ya! Chugo sip-po?” I don’t know what he is saying but I know he is angry so I bowed again. “Mianhe”, I said in a soft voice and the ice lolly I was holding fell to the ground. I started to tear. I dare not look into his eyes because I am afraid of this boy; he is a head taller than I am! Plus, my ice lolly dropped and I really wanted to eat it.

The boy looked at the ice lolly now on the floor and then looked at me. He saw my tears and he stopped rubbing the back of his arms. “Gwenchana-yo” he smiled. “Jjamganman-yo” he said, opening the door wider to go into the shop and showing his palms to me. I don’t understand what he said but from his gesture I think he wanted me to wait? I waited outside the shop, sobbing a little and almost instantly the boy came out of the shop with 2 ice lollies. He handed one to me. “Mo-go.” He shoved the ice lolly in front of my face and I took it from him but continued to stare at him. He smiled at me again while he unwrapped the ice lolly in his hands. He then gave the unwrapped ice lolly to me and took the other one in my hand and started to unwrap that one. The ice lolly in my hands started to melt and the boy stuck his tongue out and pretended to on his ice lolly. I think he is asking me to eat the lolly so I it, supressing my tears. Once again he smiled at me and walked off. I didn’t walk away because I was still scared.  Furthermore the boy had walked a few steps ahead and I wanted to keep my distance but he realized I didn’t move so he turned back. “Ka-ja” he said and gestured with his arms, indicating that I should follow. Somehow I diligently did.

We walked together down the alley while on our ice lollies, smiling at each other along the way. He isn’t so scary after all. We passed the park and it was empty. The boy looked at me. “Gat-chi nolja?” he said, but I don’t understand, tilting my head to the right. He scratched the back of his head, probably finding words to say. “Play?” he asked, pointing at the swing. I smiled and excitedly exclaimed, “Okay!” We both ran towards the swing and sat on one each.

*Seunghyun’s POV*

I must have scared this girl just now when I scolded her, but I know it isn’t her fault. Plus, she accepted the ice lolly I bought so that means she does want to be my friend. Finally I have a friend but she doesn’t understand Korean. Never mind, that is not so important. What’s important is that she wants to befriend me.

Both of us are on the swing, challenging who can go higher. Whenever I’m with the rest, I could never win them. Maybe because they are all so skinny, they are able to swing high. But this time round it looks like I’m winning! I’m pleased that I’m winning, but I’m even happier that I think I finally found myself a friend.

She will be my best friend, forever!