ONE STEP FORWARD

SECOND CHANCE IN HEAVEN

 

GROUNDED INDINITELY.

Dani had to withdraw from KPOP STAR.  Dara threw a fit when she learned she joined the talent show.  She couldn’t insist.  She was definitely at fault.  Her mother didn’t mention anything about that day anymore.  She just made sure Dani is alwaysa escorted wherever she goes.  She has to report to her mother whatever she does. 

The new term is about to start.  Dara hired a private tutor to familiarize Dani with the new school curriculum.  Although Dani attended a prestigious school back in Paris, there is still a big difference in the educational system in S. Korea. 

Dani was quiet after the incident.  She didn’t fought back.  Dara knew it was against her will to withdraw from the contest, but she doesn’t have a choice.  Even if she asked her permission, she will not let Dani getarrow-10x10.png involved in that business.  That’s already crossing the enemy line. 

They were having breakfast.  Dani was still being quiet.  Her eyes on her plate.

“You’re coming with me to work.”  Dara announced.  It made Dani looked up to her.

“All of a sudden, why?”  Dani asked unenthusiastically.

“I want you to get an idea of what I’m doing.  You should start early.  It will be handed over to you anyways.” 

“Don’t you think I’m too young to learn the business?  I haven’t finished high school yet.”

“It will keep you from doing unnecessary things.  It’s for your own benefit.”

“I still think I’m too young.”  Dani thought to herself.

Dani keep sulking on the way to Park Enterprises.  She was scowling at her phone while Dara drives them to work.  She’s been waiting for a reply from her father.  She sent him a message while getting ready, but it’s been hours already.

“Are you waiting for a call?”  Dara broke the silence in the car.

Dani straightened on her seat.  Her mother is becoming nosy already.  She put the phone inside her purse.

“Can I go to Shinsaegae Mallarrow-10x10.png later?  I don’t need to be in the company the whole day, do I?”

“We can have lunch there then go shoppingarrow-10x10.png afterwards.”  Dara replied.  Dani bit her lip.  There’s no way she can escape her mother.  She was about to protest when her phone started ringing.  She immediately pulled it out from her purse.  It was her father.  She cancelled the call at once.

“Who was that?” Dara asked.

“I don’t know.  Wrong number.”  Dani lied.  It’s becoming a habit of hers.

 

Once she  got out of Dara’s eyesight, she called his father.

“Something wrong, brat?”  Jiyong already knew something is not right when she cancelled his call earlier.

“I’m with Mom.  I just got separated from her.  She’s been punishing me ever since.”  Dani told her father.

“You deserve it, brat.”  Jiyong told her.

“But this is too much.  She wants me to learn the business already.  I should still be playing Barbie dolls instead of this.”  Dani exclaimed. 

“But you don’t want to play with dolls anymore, remember?”

“I thought you’re on my side.  Can’t you say something nice?”

“How about we meet for lunch?”  Jiyong said.  He’s free the whole day anyway.

“I can’t.  We’re going to Shinsaegae for lunch.”

“Then, I’ll just join you there.  Just tell me which restaurant.”

“Dad!  You know we can’t do that.  Mom would go ballistic.”

“It’s been years.  She could have forgotten.”

“I doubt it.  I’ll just send you message when I manage to escape.”

“Don’t do anything stupid, brat.”

“Promise.  I won’t.”

 

 

Jiyong kept pacing back and forth in his living room.  It’s almost midnoon.  Lunchtime.  His mind kept wandering towards Shinsaegae Mallarrow-10x10.png.  Since his conversation with Dani, he’s been itching to grab his keys and drive to the mall.  He can make it look like just a coincidence bumping into Dara in a crowded place like the mall.  She will not suspect anything, would she?

He checked the time on his watch.  Fifteen minutes after twelve.  Just about time. 

He made up his mind.  He sent a message to Dani asking which restaurant they are dining.  Then, he called Seungri and asked him to meet him at the mall entrance.

Fifteen minutes later, he saw Seungri’s car parked at the mall entrance.

“What a surprise!  You finally asked me to eat lunch with you.  Are you sick, hyung?”  Seungri was really surprised when Jiyong called him earlier.  He was in the middle of filming a variety show when he received the call.  He had to leave the set unexpectedly.

“I need backup, Seungri.”

“Backup?  Why?  What’s going on?”  Seungri got more excited. He loves adventures.

“Just follow me.”

Jiyong did not elaborate.  He made huge steps towards the restaurant where Dara and Dani are eating at the moment.  Seungri tried to catch up with him.  When he reached the front of the restaurant, he suddenly faced Seungri.

“How do I look?  Is my hair okay?”  Jiyong asked randomly.

“Hyung.  Why are you so anxious?  You look great as usual.  Except that you look a bit pale.  You look nervous.” 

“I am nervous.  Don’t leave my side no matter what.”

Seungri was clueless to what’s going on.  He followed Jiyong to the restaurant.  They were welcomed by the manager who was shocked at their sudden arrival.

Seungri scanned the diners in the restaurant.  Most of them are corporate people.  Those who manages big companies.  Jyong was talking to the restaurant manager while he busied himself watching the diners.  His attention focused on the table occupied by a teenage girl and an older woman.  The girl looks bored.  Who wouldn’t?  It’s not a place where girls like her eat lunch.  She should be eating with friends at a noodle house instead.

The girl saw him staring at her which caused her company to look at his direction.  Seungri’s eyes widened when he saw the side profile of the woman.  His jaw dropped. 

It’s Dara.

“Hyung!”  He grabbed Jiyong’s arm.


“What?”  Jiyong asked.  Seungri looked like he saw a ghost.

“It’s Dara noona!”

 

 

 

Dara noticed her daughter becoming uneasy all of a sudden.  Shock was written all over her face.  She was looking at something or someone behind her.  She slowly turned her head to see what’s boithering Dani.  There were two men at the front desk differently dressed like the others dining in the restaurant.   They started walking forward.  Dara heard silverwares dropping on the table.

The guy upfront is smiling widely at her.  He matured a little from the last time she saw him.  She was about to wave her hand to him when she recognized the guy behind him.  Of all the places in Seoul, she didn’t expect to see him again in that place.  It was the last place a guy like him would be at.

Dara’s gripped on her knife tightened.  She was frozen on her seat.  Memories from twelve years ago rushes on her mind like flood water.  The night when she decided to have an adventure and waking up alone and still not regretting it.  The only thing she regretted was meeting him once again after a few years.  That was when her heartaches started.  How she wished she never met him again.  How she wished Dani never met him.  She can endure the pain, but seeing her daughter getting hurt because of him, that she can’t forgive.  She will do everything to protect her daughter from the pain Jiyong will try to inflict on  her.

“It’s really you!” Seungri can’t hold back his excitement at seeing Dara once again.  “Is this our Gon-ah? “  His attention shifted to Dani who was caught in a very awkward situation.  How is she supposed to react now that her parents are facing each other?  Could she feign innocence?

Dani watched her mother.  She was gritting her teeth although she has the casual expression on her face.  She should learn more from her mother how to keep a poker face.

“Seungri, it’s been a while.”  Dara finally spoke.  She didn’t waste a glimpse towards Jiyong.

“Are you here for good?  I didn’t expect we’ll be meeting here.  Jiyong just called me saying he needs back up-“ 

Jiyong didn’t let Seungri finish.  He’s always too talkative.

“Hello, Dara.  Mind if we join you?”  Jiyong asked politely.  His heart is hammering inside his chest.  He occupied the seat between her and his daughter who was about to pee with so much tension.  He gave Dani a reassuring smile.

Dara declined.  “Actually, we’re almost finished eating.  And there are other tables around.” 

“Don’t be like that, Noona.  Stay a bit longer.  It’s been a while.  I’m sure Gon-ah would love to chat with her father-“ 

“Her name is Dani.”  Dara corrected Seungri.  She saw how Jiyong’s lips moved.  Did he just smirked?

“Hi, Dani.  I’m Kwon Jiyong.”

Dani just stared at her father.  She doesn’t know what to do.  She caught her mother’s eyes.  She could see pain building up on those eyes.  She never felt so guilty before.  She was caught between two colliding rocks.  She couldn’t handle the tension anymore.  Without a word, she left the table hurriedly.  She ran outside not knowing where to go.