LuHa

In Patiendo

~

I want to break him.

Those were Luhan’s first thoughts about Yixing.

Luhan studied Yixing for a while to which he came to the conclusion that the guy had everything going for him.

Yixing had everything he doesn’t. Yixing’s parents would send him to school every morning and pick him up after class. His mom would always give him a big hug and a kiss and then he and his father would converse with huge grins on their faces. He always had his packed lunch full of his mother’s cooking and the latest toys bought by his father for him. Barely a week in school and Yixing was already friends with almost all of his classmates and everyone else in school was curious about the new transfer student with the cute antics and funny accent. Although Yixing was not able to beat Luhan academically, he trumps Luhan over the arts and home economics classes in which Luhan were weakest at. Yixing was also one of the few who could match him in sports. Wherein Luhan was doing everything with princely flair, Yixing was winning everyone over with his own gentle modesty. It was sickening.  

 

Six months since the start of the school year, it was only then that he had first approached Yixing.

While Luhan was strolling around campus to relieve himself from the headache he was experiencing after he finished, yet another library book, he hears an out of tuned guitar playing from a boy sitting under a tree. He remembers when Yixing came to the classroom hauling something much too big for his small frame, eyes shining and announced that his father gave him a guitar for his birthday. It was then that it hit Luhan that he hasn’t said a word yet to this new classmate of his despite the fact that he has been studying the other kid.

He approached him with the thought of making fun of his playing and his accent, I guess it’s time to start our little game.

“Hi.”

Yixing looked up to look at Luhan and replied “Hello,” with a big smile.

It was the first time he noticed the dimples. Luhan wondered why it was the first time he noticed them. After all he should have memorized everything about the other person by now. Well physically at least right? Six months and for the whole time, it was plastered on his face. Really now, Luhan. When did you become so ignorant? Luhan was bemused with himself.

“So what are you up to?” Luhan asked, all previous mischievous thought lost since he saw Yixing’s smile up close. That was a stupid question. He’s playing with a guitar OBVIOUSLY. Smooth, Luhan. Smooth.

Yixing answered, the dimpled smile still plastered on his face. “I’m trying to piece the sound together. I mean, I could hear notes but I can’t somehow string them together. Do you get what I mean?”          

Luhan saw the boy was clearly into what he was doing and could not help but be drawn into the boy’s enthusiasm. He smiled despite himself. “Not really. But you seem to be enjoying yourself.”

“Of course! What is there not to? I mean beautiful music flows out from this thing. It’s amazing!” Yixing said while he strummed a random chord.

“It was supposed to make sounds in the first place. I don’t know why it’s surprising to you.” Luhan replied matter of fact.

Luhan intended his reply to sound sarcastic but if Yixing did managed to notice his tone, he ignored it and replied keeping with his happy disposition, “I know. That’s what makes it amazing.”

Would you please stop with that smile? And why is that thing on his face distracting me so much?

“Can I ask you a question?” Yixing said, distracting Luhan away from his dimples.

“You already did”

“You’re funny”

“I thought you were going to ask a question? That was a mere statement of fact, my friend.”

Yixing rolled his eyes, “I was about to but you were being funny”

“I think the correct term would be sarcastic” I said in reply

“Hmmm… anyway I want to ask you for months now. Why do you look so sad?”

Luhan was taken aback by the sudden question. He thought he hid it well. He knew he hid it well.

“What do you mean?” Luhan feigned innocence.

“I’m sorry I don’t mean to pry.” Yixing said apologetically. “Anyway, I liked what you said earlier”

Luhan was confused yet again. “What exactly?”

“You’re my friend as well.”

Luhan was caught in Yixing’s pace and he did not like it. It was supposed to be the other way around. Great. Luhan thought.

 

 

Luhan did not approach Yixing on his own whim after that day but it was Yixing who now found ways to talk to him. Yixing did not bother him when he was surrounded with other people or busy with his other classmates. But when Luhan was alone, Yixing would be there to talk to him.

It first started when Yixing would volunteer to stay behind to help him with his cleaning duties since Luhan’s cleaning partner would always sneak away from him.

“Why did you bother to volunteer? Your parents are waiting for you. You should go.” Luhan said when Yixing decided to stay behind the afternoon of their first cleaning duty together.

“What about yours? Aren’t your parents worried that you’re not home yet?”

Luhan determined not to expose anything merely shrugged, “Suit yourself.”

“Cleaning doesn’t sound so bad. I get to play with the school brooms and the dust everyone left behind.” Yixing said with a big encouraging smile.

“Are you serious?”

“Why not?” Yixing replied as he started dancing using the broom as a prop. Luhan can’t help but laugh at Yixing’s quirks.

Yixing was looking at Luhan funny that the latter could not help but ask, “Is there something on my face?”

“Nothing. You should laugh more” Yixing said.

“What are you saying? You always see me laugh inside the classroom” Luhan pointed out.

“Not that kind of laugh” Yixing said pointedly.

“What do you mean?” Luhan felt a sense of déjà vu.

“You know what I mean.”

Luhan was irritated again.

 

 

Luhan was reading at the library one afternoon like he always do.

“I did not know you study here?”

Luhan already knew who it was. Yixing has the most gentle voice he has ever heard.

“Hello to you too” Luhan said without looking up.

“So is this your spot or something?” Yixing asked as he sat at the chair directly in front of him.

“Not really. I change from time to time depending on my mood”

“Want to have a change of scenery?”

It was only then that I looked up to see his grin and looking expectedly at him.

Why does he always get me confused.

Luhan then found himself getting dragged by Yixing to the school benches by the football grounds.

“Explain”

“Well I just thought fresh air would do you good. You look so pale by always staying indoors.” Yixing explained.

Luhan rolled his eyes, “You just want me to listen to your playing.”

“Yes. That too.” Yixing winks and his face lights up.

How could I possible say no?

 

 

 

During one of their normal afternoons at, what now Yixing refer to as, their spot, Luhan was reading a book and Yixing was with his guitar, together with a box containing things like cloth and polishes.

“What are those?”

“Glad you’ve finally become interested in what I do” Yixing said with amusement.

“Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.”

“Of course.” Yixing rolled his eyes. “I’m not sure what they’re called. My dad said it was for maintenance. He's away so I’m the one doing it now.”

“Such a bother.” Luhan said and returned to his reading.

“Well, if you love something, wouldn’t you usually do things for it? More than what is necessary?” Yixing said while pouting indignantly

“You mean the guitar right?” Luhan said as he ignored Yixing’s pouts.

“Yes. Of course I love this guitar,” Yixing said as he continued his pouts.

“Hmmm”

“Why do you read more than what is necessary if you don’t love it?”

“It’s necessary”

“Necessary for what?”

“Future.” Luhan said simply.

“Hmmm,” Yixing replied. It was only then that Luhan looked up and saw Yixing’s pout.

“Stop copying me”  Luhan said ignoring the fact that he was distracted by Yixing’s lips. How can a guy have such lips? It’s too pink and puffy.

“I’m not.” Yixing said as he pouts at Luhan again.

“It doesn’t suit you”

“I could say the same to you. You should smile more”

“I smile”

“You know what I mean”

“No.” His pace again. Luhan is not sure whether to be amused.

 

 

 

Yixing was particularly quiet one time. He was not playing anything nor distracting Luhan’s reading like he always did. Luhan looked at Yixing and noticed that the latter was merely hugging his guitar with his eyes closed.

“So what are you doing now?”

Yixing opened his eyes  and flashed his smile. “Nothing. Just wanted to feel the music of the wind”

Luhan gave Yixing an empty stare in response.

“Haha. Yes Luhan that was a joke. You can at least appease my lameness with your usual lame laugh,”

“Well, HAHA” Luhan was amused by Yixing’s reply but he knew something was amiss. Yixing was missing his upbeat self, as if he was pretending to be strong. Luhan knew this because he, was still, the reigning prince of pretend.

“Are you feeling sick, Yixing?” Luhan could not help but ask.

“Not really. Why? Do I look sick?”

 Luhan shrugged and dismissed his thoughts. He was probably overthinking it. Yixing, after all, was still as energetic as ever. He remembered how Yixing did his broom dance inside the classroom earlier when he saw one classmate of theirs holding a broom for some reason.

Although Yixing said he was fine that day, neither of them talked nor tried to strike a conversation after that.

 

 

 

One day while Luhan was on his way to the library to return a book, he saw a bunch of sixth graders holding Yixing’s guitar.

“Stupid kid always making so much noise within the grounds,” one of the seniors said.

“Trying to be cool when he can’t even correct his own accent,” another one retorted.

Luhan saw a third one stepped on the guitar and saw it break into half. Another senior followed suit and repeatedly stepped on the now useless pieces of wood.

Luhan merely looked at the sixth graders until the seniors finally noticed him

“Hey aren’t you Luhan, the guitar kid’s best friend?” asked the biggest among the group, the one who first stepped on Yixing’s guitar.

“Really? But didn’t he just transfer?” Luhan replied putting on an innocent face.

“Fine. But you better keep your mouth shut”

Luhan knew better than to answer anything so he did not say anything. The seniors went out leaving Luhan the task of cleaning up after his seniors’ mess.

 

 

Later that day, Luhan saw Yixing who ran to him, his face looking frazzled. He was probably running around the whole campus looking for his guitar. When he saw Luhan, he asked him if Luhan saw his guitar.

Luhan merely answered that he did.

Yixing’s face brightened up instantly and asked Luhan where.

Luhan then bought Yixing to the hall where the seniors broke Yixing’s precious guitar. Yixing was not able to process when he saw the broken pieces of wood. His eyes wide with shock as he understood that the pieces of wood on the ground were the remains of what used to be his guitar.

Luhan saw Yixing’s crestfallen face. He was about to cry but he saw the boy held his emotions in check.

He then he looked up at Luhan and asked him weakly, 
“Who did this?”

“I did not want to start a trouble with the seniors.” Luhan would not dare look at Yixing’s face.

“You were there weren’t you? But you did not do anything.”

“I didn’t think it was necessary,” Luhan answered back. He felt his insides tying up in knots. Is this guilt?

Yixing did not talk for a few minutes. Luhan wanted to walk away at the sight of Yixing’s sad face. It made him feel weird.

“That guitar was the last birthday gift my father bought me.” Yixing finally spoke, breaking the awkward silence. “He left us last week. My mom said it was for another woman. Did you know about that, Luhan? I mentioned it but I guess you were so lost pretending to be someone to listen. My mother… I thought she was fine with it all… but, one day, then she just snapped… she threw everything that my father had given us and I barely saved this one.” Yixing’s voice started to break. “Luhan…that guitar. It was my last proof...the lat one...to appease myself that my father’s love for me was at least… real.”

Luhan could not say anything.

“I thought we were friends,” and then Yixing cried.

Yixing looked broken as he continuously sobbed.

Luhan just stood there. His books never thought him what to do if someone cries in front of you.

Good job, Luhan.

 

 


A/N

Since I am such a noob author, I just edited this story again to fix the tenses. I might have added a few words here and there but nothing much really. SORRY for being such a newbie. OTL

Anyway I posted this chapter sooner than I expect to but I was so inspired by the number of views and from getting another subscirber. Also because I was kinda sad about Yixing not able to get on a flight yesterday evening so I hope he would be reading this now. (wishful thinking of course. lol)

 

Credits to : (for the title to this chapter and the picture heading) I love this and I think its perfect for this chapter since Luhan is both smart and stupid at the same time. lol

http://layhan.co/post/61394534267/last-night-i-went-to-bwcw-and-saw-that-yixing-had