Chapter 1

Mei's Revenge

There was just something about the office that Mei found quite daunting. It was either the grey solemn walls that reminded her of Vogues 2010 'gothic line', which was a complete fail in the market due to its depressing edition, or maybe it was just  the 8x10 cubicle space that reeked of cheap American coffee and paper ink. Sighing, Mei got up but sat back down again when noticing Seungri enter through the office doors. 

"Why Goodmorning, Mei-sshi! You look wonderful as always" he cheered, his arms leaning on Mei's cubicle walls. Lee Seunghyun or Seungri which he likes to be called is just a year younger than Mei but acts as if he's still a sophomore student in high school. Immature and overly dirty-minded. It makes Mei wonder if he even graduated elementary school or even worst, college. 

"So about that date, did you-" 

 

"No Seungri, I will not go out with you" Mei insisted, her eyes never leaving the computer screen that presented today's market analysis. Just as Seungri was going to say another word, Mei frowned when noticing a dark shadow casting over her computer screen, making the charts and words difficult to read. "Seungri get lost! Your shadow is distracting me!" Mei half shouted. There was an awkward silence. 

 

"At least I know you're working, Miss Ahn" Mei jumped and could've sworn her heart torn its way out of her chest. With her eyes widened, Mei caught Seungri walking away making it impossible to think that he was right behind her. Oh God! Mei thought. It was Kim Jaejoong. Her  boss that does nothing more than talk about work and boss/ around. Not to mention, wear the same frekin skinny grey tie every day and if he's feeling lucky, a blue tie. 

 

"Hi!" Mei said overenthusiastically, swiveling her chair where she faced Jaejoong who seemed to have a frown plastered on his face.  

 

"The only time I ever see you this enthusiastic is when you receive a pay check. What is wrong with you?" Mei took that as a rhetorical question and continued to smile not even giving a care if he noticed her gritting her teeth in despair. And sure, he did. "Are you gritting your teeth, Miss Ahn?" Jaejoong questioned, his head slightly turned sideways as if examining her every move like a hawk on watch. She knew what he was doing and it was definitely working. He was intimidating her and he seemed to enjoy every moment of it. Well of course, that's what Mei only thought. 
 

Changing topics, Jaejoong took out a brown manila folder and dropped it on Mei's table, making a few slips of paper slip from the impact. "Thought you might cast your eyes over this" he says. "Considering that you have Investments Weekly on your table, I'm assuming you read the front article". Mei vigorously nodded, as a slip of hair landed right on the tip of her nose. LIES. Mei only purchased the magazine because there was a buy one get one free sale on magazines and she couldn't miss out on La Mode's special edition that included a free sample swatch of Chanel's new fragrance. 

 

"So, tell me, Mei. What do you think about today's front article?" He gestured to the Investments Weekly which was lying on her table. "Quite a surprise, didn't you think?" Oh God. Mei thought. What was he talking about? "It's certainly a shocker for sure! But interesting at the same time!" Mei said, still smiling. Glancing around the room, Mei caught Seungri at the lunch room chatting up with Changmin who was munching on an apple, Eunji, as usual, glancing over the window and the janitor emptying the paper bin. 

 

"I have to say, I believe it's bad news" he says earnestly, his left hand resting on his hip. "But of course, you must have your own views". Mei gulped, her eyes never once leaving his, just in case he might kill her if she looked away. He's staring at her, not even bothering to say a word. Mei felt her cheeks burning red from embarrassment as he stared at her with a mystifying gaze. "Read the report Miss Ahn" and with that, he turned away without a second to spare. Mei sat there, baffled and annoyed. 


Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the life of Mei Ahn.