#2

The Truth About Fanfics

#2

Your main character is TOO normal

(So I'm not gonna read)

 

 

He or she isn't special any way. They're not orphans, they're not abused, their parents aren't stupid/uncaring/too busy, they weren't adopted, or they're not super popular, yet not total nerds either. They're your girl next door, run of the mill girl whose picture isn't an ulzaang. She's just an average girl, whose PB by choice is neither an actress, actor, Ulzzang, model or beauty queen/king. They're... AVERAGE.

 

Soooo. I'm not interested.

 

When people read fanfics, they want to read about something which is different, something which will never happen to them - and they know it will never happen to them, so they read about these situations to imagine it, smile about it and see how these situations would be played out. They want super pretty girls, hot boys, nerdy girls and geeky guys, all of who, have some sort of turbulent past or strange personality defect. 

 

Something, ANYTHING. 

 

Because reading about an average person, who could pretty much represent any of us, is quite boring. We want to put ourselves in the shoes of people who we'll never be, who have lived experiences we might never have. We want variety, we want some sort of dramatic thing in their past that we KNOW will effect them. We don't want ordinary, because ordinary is our everyday lives. 

 

However, sometimes plain Jane's aren't all THAT bad. Ignoring your boring character for a moment, what I want to know is what your going to do to make her come alive as a person. Some sort of plot event? Another character? Something mystical or magical? Give us SOMETHING, because if you don't make your plain Jane interesting - AND FAST, we don't want to read.

 

If your character seems PLAIN, nobody will read.

 

 

Whats your opinions on characters that are just plain janes?

 


 

List of plain janes that WORK their ordinariness. 

 

 

Anime&Manga
- Sunako Nakahara from Wallflower
 
Film
- Penny from The Rescuers .
- Elizabeth Abbot from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is described as plain as paper.
- Wendy Torrence in The Shining.
 
Literature
- Jane Eyre: She describes HERSELF as unattractive, and so does preeeetty much every other character who talks of her.
- Pride and Prejudice: Mary Bennet, a poor little girl, is the only one plain among her very attractive sisters who are all reputed beauties. She strives to gain as many accomplishments as possible and reads a plays the piano all the time. However, it's also implied she's not that smart either.