Chapter 3

Highest Point

 

Note :

The whole section in italic letter is Eric's memories.. I know you will get it by yourself when you read it, but at least I need to tell you beforehand, kekeke..

Enjoy and leave a comment if you feel like it.. ^^

_________________________________

 

Finally, the coach blew his whistle and almost robotically, all of us stopped our motion. We stopped running and we threw our last throw. The familiar screeching of our shoes running the wood parquet floors surface and the sounds of dribbling balls were now quieted as we all walked tiredly to the field’s edge.  Practice for today was finally ended. I silently thanked God because my legs’ muscles were already painfully screaming from long ago. I knew my team mates were feeling exactly the same as I was right now.

 

“Hyung, water.” Andy handed me the water bottle when I reached the bench. I nodded and grabbed the bottle before gulped the water ravenously.

 

“Thanks, Andy.” I gave him back the now empty water bottle.

 

“Another day of hellish practice, right Hyung?” Andy – my junior and also my basketball teammates – jokingly whispered when I wiped the overly dripping sweat on my forehead. Even though he’s two years younger than me, we were actually very close as bestfriends.

 

“Tell me about it.” I said in the middle of my heavy panting. I was not any better than the rest of my team mates though. We were all at our school basketball indoor arena where we practiced since this morning. Every one of us was a total mess who had breathing difficulty and almost drowned in our own sweat and exhaustion. Some of us already sprawled on the floor and groaned in weary. Unfortunately, our coach was seriously kept his promise when he said that he would have us practice until we hit our limit.  

 

Now the gym was filled with the groaning and panting sounds. Nobody wanted to waste their last bit of energy to make a conversation.

 

“Want to have rice cakes with me after this?” Andy asked a few minutes later when I could hear coach’s assistant called out some juniors to collect the balls. It was time to go home.

 

“Um.. I can’t.” I shook my head tiredly. “I have a date with Hyesung.” I added and couldn’t restrain one smile appeared when I said Hyesung’s name.

 

And just like I had predicted, Andy winced when he heard the name.

 

This Andy, no matter how much he cared about me, he was never hiding his disagreement of us. He clearly said that it wasn’t really about me dating a guy – he assured me that it didn’t bother him anything. It was more because he was always thinking that Hyesung was not a good person for me. So whenever I talked about Hyesung, Andy would all pouting and rolling his eyes in displeased.

 

“So he finally decides to meet you this time?” Andy asked dryly.

 

“Don’t say like that.” I warned him.

 

Andy quickly busied himself by wiping his sweat with the towel and avoiding any further talk. He didn’t say sorry though. So I knew he didn’t feel sorry. After I told him about Hyesung’s strange behavior the last time we met two weeks ago, his aversion towards Hyesung was getting bigger. Not to mention the fact that Hyesung avoided me ever since. It was like Andy had more excuses to hate Hyesung than before.

 

“I’ll go with you tomorrow. How about that?” I eventually suggested when Andy was frowning even deeper.

 

“Whatever.”

 

I was about to open my mouth to retort, but never had a chance to. Because suddenly I heard someone shouted “Hyung, watch out!” and I automatically turned my head. For a moment I felt nothing. But I clearly saw, out of the corner of my eye, a cylindrical orange object getting bigger and bigger and bigger. It was approaching me very fast, or was it me who moved too slowly?

 

I thought that cylindrical object would be very likely going to hit me. And I knew right away that I should duck. But in the time between, when I was thinking about it and just before I actually moved, the ball hit me on the left side of my head.

 

I fell. With my right ear hit the parquet floor first.

 

But then I stood up immediately, as if unhurt – and I grinned. And for I didn’t know how many seconds, I couldn’t hear anything. I hoped nobody noticed how my ear was ringing so badly and my vision blurred.

 

“Are you okay?” Every one asked me the same question in worry. But their voice sounded so funny on my ringing ears – as if they were talking so far even though they actually stood so close around me.

 

“Holy . My head hurts.” I mumbled.

 

For the sake of my pride, I assured my coach and my team mates that I was alright. Andy helped me gathered my belongings and put them on my bag – all the while I did my best to hold back the urge to vomit. Not here, Eric. You can’t vomit here.

 

And also for the sake of my pride, I exited the basketball arena walking seemingly fine. But soon I was outside, I made a turn and slouched down at the nearest corner. I didn’t care anymore. I let loose any control and vomited. What happened next, I didn’t really remember. Maybe because I was soon fell unconscious right after I emptied my stomach.

 

The only thing I remembered was Andy’s face when I opened my eyes. I was lying on white bed in school infirmary while Andy was seating on the chair beside the bed. I automatically cringed when I smelled an awful smell that I was sure was seeping from all over my body. Yuck, I smelled like a vomit bag. And my mouth tasted so very bad, you better not imagining it.

 

“Hyung.” Andy said in mixed tone of relieved and perplexed.

 

I blinked twice to get rid my haziness. “I have a concussion, right?” I asked even though I knew the answer. Andy nodded slowly then he widened his eyes in fright when I was trying to sit.

 

“No, no Hyung. You can’t.” He hurriedly pushed my chest and made me lie down again.

 

“How long did I pass out?” And did my words sounded slurry? Or it was just because my headache?

 

“Around half an hour. Maybe few minute longer.” Andy answered after he checked his watch. “Just lie down, Hyung. The nurse said you need to rest.”

 

At first, I relented. I had a bad headache anyway. Having more sleep sounded like a good idea. But then I remembered something that made me shot open both of my eyes again.

 

“What time is it now?” I asked panicky. I have a date with Hyesung! I can’t sleep here!

 

Earnestly fighting every pounding on my head, I forced myself to sit. And I surprised myself when I actually felt okay. Still had a very bad headache, but I got my balance back and my visions were alright. My nausea was gone too. So I grinned to Andy and firmly announced, “I feel okay. I better go now.” Without waiting, I got down the bed and grabbed my backpack before started to walk to the door.

 

Andy hurriedly tailed me walking out the infirmary. “Hyung, you need to rest.” He said almost frightened. He tried to grab my arm but I kept walking.

 

 “Who threw the ball?” I decided to ignore his plead. Instead, I walked straight out the building.

 

“The juniors who gathered the balls. They were joking around and threw the ball at each other. But one of it got on your face instead, Hyung.”

 

“Those brats.. “ I gritted my teeth. “They will surely pay when I meet them.”

 

I touched the skin on the back of my left ear where the ball hit me and immediately brushed a bump sized of an egg. Those brats, I cursed silently. I knew they never intended to throw the ball towards me. But accident or not, I would surely make them regret this. What if I become stupid after this? I was the only son of my mother, I needed my healthy head in order to go through the university exam and get a decent job.

 

“But Hyung, you really shouldn’t go. Actually I think you should go check your head in the hospital.” Andy once again tried to stop me when I walked outside the already empty front gate. 

 

“I’m fine. I’m fine.” I waved my hand nonchalantly and ignored his disagreed frown.

 

“Hyung!” Andy shouted impatiently and perhaps a bit angry.

 

I turned around to face him. “I said I’m fine, Andy-ya.” And I didn’t lie. Well, I never said I was perfectly fine, but right now I felt much better than when I first woke up in the infirmary few minutes ago. My headache that didn’t go away, that’s true. But other than that, nothing seemed to be worry about.

 

Andy only glared at me.

 

“I’ll go to the hospital after I met Hyesung. How about that?”

 

Andy didn’t retreat his glare.

 

“Just this once, Andy-ya. I haven’t met him for two weeks. Just this once.” This time it was me who pleaded. I got nervous when I realized that Hyesung might already wait for me by now. How many times passed since I got out the school yard?

 

For my relieved, Andy sighed and nodded. “Are you sure you’re feeling okay? Head injury could be dangerous, Hyung.” Andy questioned me once again and firmly emphasized the word ‘sure’ and ‘dangerous’.

 

“Just let me meet Hyesung for a bit then I’ll go immediately to the hospital. I promise you.”

 

Andy contemplated for exactly three seconds before said, “Okay.”

 

“Very good then.” I grinned.

 

“Where you would meet up?” Andy asked when we continued to walk the sidewalk.

 

“Where else? At the bus stop, of course.”

 

A date with Shin Hyesung mostly meant of us walking together after school. We would meet up at the bus stop near his school and then from there we would decide where to go. But even though the options were limited (we were always ended up eating something when we have a ‘date’ just because Hyesung loves to eat), I literally would do anything just to spend some time with him. And I didn’t make it up when I said that even small occasion (like eating some rice cakes with him at the kiosk by the street), as long I could see him, I had nothing to complain.

 

Andy kept walking beside me when I started to see the bus stop where I was supposed to meet Hyesung. I knew it was impossible to see whether Hyesung was there or not, but I stretched my neck and stood on my toes anyway.

 

Then something I couldn’t hold out stumbled upon me.

 

At first I thought the world stopped moving, or at least it moved very much slower now. But then I realized it was me who moved wrongly. My limbs were weakened and I fell with my face first hitting the sidewalk. It was such an unlucky day for me. Falling head first on the hard surface twice! I blinked once when I thought I heard someone screamed my name. Was it Andy? But why was his voice sounded so far away? Did he walk with me just now?

 

I blinked again. Because now I couldn’t move any single part of my body. All went numb and weak.

 

And as strange as it sounds, I thought I heard a sound that persuades me to close my eyes. But I need to meet Hyesung! I screamed so loud when in fact I only had those words in my own head.

 

No, I need to get up. Hyesung was waiting for me. And he wasn’t that far from here.

 

Perhaps right now, he was pouting and impatiently tapped his feet as he was waiting for me. Perhaps he was continuously checking his watch and wondering why the hell I hadn’t showed up by now. Perhaps he already prepared some scolding for me because I made him wait too long.

 

Would he still be angry when he realized that I wasn’t just late?

 

I blinked again. This time was slower and weaker than before.

 

And the last thing I remembered before I close my eyes was his face.

 

***

 

“You’re a liar.” I sighed slowly while lowering my head. Minwoo sat beside me but said nothing. “You said I died because of an accident.”

 

“I’m sorry. But you need to remember your memories by yourself.” Minwoo said rather apologetically.

 

“It’s too cruel, you know. Makes someone recalled the moment when he died.” I grunted tiredly. i was suddenly exhausted after I got back my first memory.

 

“I admit it’s too brutal, Eric. I’m sorry.”

 

I glanced at the dark sky once again. It was probably past midnight. The house was now all quiet. The ahjumma and his son must have been sleep now.

 

“So what really happened? I fell then I died? Just like that?” I stammered in confused. And since when my voice choked like this?

 

Minwoo waited a bit before answered. “The bump on your head, it blocked the blood flow. It resulted the swelling of your brain and raised the pressure within the skull. And then – yeah – you know.”

 

“And then I am roaming on someone else’s roof.” I muttered slowly.

 

“Yeah.” Minwoo said while letting out a weak chuckle.

 

“So what I have to do now?” I sighed even slower than before.

 

“I cannot tell you. You need to find it yourself.” Minwoo said carefully and almost timidly.

 

“Aarghh, not again, Minwoo.” I groaned in frustration when I rubbed my face in my palms. “You’re my guide angel, for crying out loud. It’s your job to guide me!”

 

Minwoo placed his hand on my shoulder before said, “Here or there, it’s just the same deal, Eric.” He half-smiled in sympathy. “Sadly, I’m not here to tell you what to do.” Minwoo stopped for a moment but when I didn’t answer him, he continued. “People wake up every morning without knowing what would happen next, or who they would meet that day, or what they would get in the end. But that didn’t stop them to keep going. And even though they don’t know exactly what to do, they would always find their way. Somehow they know what the right thing to do or they will find their other half out of the crowd, even though they came to the world quite unprepared.”

 

He tapped my shoulder once. “This place is nothing different, Eric.”

 

“You’ll gain more of your past memories and as the times goes by, you will understand what you need to do to cut the strings. When you find it, you’ll know. And when you’re ready to go, you’ll be the first to know.”

 

I could hear Minwoo’s words very clearly, but I was sure I couldn’t understand them. Not even a tiny bit of it.

 

“I never asked to be here. If I have to die, then just make me die. Why do I need to do this?” I hugged my knees and brought them close to my chest. Lowered my face more, I put my forehead to my knees. “Why do I need to wake up again?”

 

“I’m sorry, Eric.”

 

“And stop saying you’re sorry. I hate it.”

 

Then the silence came. My head hurt again and this yearning feeling I felt inside my chest ripping me from within. I wanted to scream, and I wanted to cry. But I could only manage to bit my lips and held them all in. Instead, I whispered Hyesung’s name again and again. Sincerely hoping I could go by his side right now.

 

“Minwoo?” I called him softly after some long silence. There was something I need to do. Or else I might go wrecked.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I want to see him. I want to see Hyesung.”