–4.

Catch the Rebound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It feels as if things shifted into slow motion. Jongin simply stands there, leaned into his walking cane, taking turns at looking into Jongmin, Taehee and that other guy’s face. The tension builds, and somehow, the air feels strangled between Jongin and the man who seems similar to him. The similarity is actually difficult to explain. Sure, there are some matching features, like the facial bone structure and something else impossible to pinpoint, but even the air surrounding the two is similar.

And Jongin, he is utterly confused by it all. Certainly, the other feels the same.

“N-now, thank you, Jongmin-ah!” Hyera says with a shaky voice as she tries to break the tension between them.

Her living room is no place for fights or whatsoever. Still, if any of them felt like spending the night at the police section, Chanyeol would be so happy to comply!

“We need to talk.” The other man says gravely, chocolate brown eyes never leaving Jongin’s face. He takes Taehee by her arm and proceeds in heading away to a more restricted place of the apartment.

“Minnie, Mommy will be back. Play with…” But she trails off when her eyes come to rest upon Jongins’s stunned face. “Your daddy.” And that’s when she gives her unofficial agreement.

Taehee allows herself to be taken away by the man to a silent corner down the hall. She doesn’t have the courage to look into his eyes, so she simply glances at his collarbone. Indeed, that man didn’t deserve to have such a stunt pulled on him, for he’s been nothing but nice to her and especially to Jongmin.

“Taehee, honey, what was that all about? And what did Jongmin mean by ‘daddy’?” He asks with a hurtful voice.

Even for a grown-up like him, it still hurts. The man ruffles up his black locks, chocolate eyes gleaming in pure hurt. Still, seeing how she does not plan on answering, the man sighs out painfully.

“Is he Jongmin’s biological father?” The man shakes his head as a flurry of possibilities overwhelms him. He reformulates his question. “Did you date me because we are similar in appearance?”

And his question hurts both of them. For, their relationship has lasted for two years already, and in that amount of time, Taehee felt truly happy with him. He was a prosecutor, that’s how she met him. And it was him who courted her, since Taehee tried to seem as unnoticeable as possible.

“What is it, that you’re implying, Taemin-sshi?” The woman manages to find the necessary strength to ask him while looking into his chocolate eyes, without collapsing on the spot.

It’s a hurtful situation, the one they go through, and they have to come clear by talking things out.

“Was I a replacement for Jongmin’s father?” The question hurts her, just as it hurts him.

Taehee’s eyes widen in surprise, feeling a prick of guilt in her chest. So, is this how he sees things?

No, she wants to say, I care about you for who you are. And, you’re nobody’s replacement. But no such things come out. Instead, “You consider me such a shallow person?” Typical woman-like question, backfiring at the perpetrator.

The man’s face, who’s called Taemin freezes immediately. “Of course not!” His voice aggravates, as beads of sweat form on his forehead. He holds her arms, while leaning closer, to match her height. “I didn’t want to judge you, I’m so sorry. It’s just… I feel hurt.”

And Taehee believes him. I mean, who wouldn’t after such a scene? Still, it’s Taehee’s fault for not thinking it through. Jongin is Hyera’s brother after all, so he would be present at this party no matter what. While, on the other hand, she and Taemin are doing so well, it’s unbelievable.

Why is Lee Taemin considered such a remarkable guy, for he’s the only one Taehee allowed in? In truth, he has no remarkable traits. He’s only human too. He’s a young prosecutor with a brilliant mind and slightly more-than-average looks. He’s hardworking, bright and, most of all, a family guy. True, it has also shocked her when she first met him, the explosive similarity he had with Jongin, but Taehee learned to look past that, and see the real Lee Taemin.

“He’s Hyera’s younger brother.” Taehee finds herself say, and only now realizes that Taemin knows nothing about Jongmin’s father.

True, he does know she’s been searching him and that’s he’s alive, back, whatever. But she’s never gotten into details.

So maybe that’s why the man with chocolate eyes feels taken aback by the sudden intrusion. He feels like the intruder, right then and there.  

“I see…” And the hands which have held Taehee’s arms fall numbly to his sides. “You know,” he begins with a choked laughter, unable to look at her in the eye. “When I first saw you behind that desk, I felt like the sun has shined in my world. Even after learning of your situation, after getting to know Jongmin, I didn’t care about what the world might say. I had eyes only for you and Jongmin. And for these two years, despite knowing you were searching for the father of your child, I tried not to in, knowing I had no right.” That’s when he looks at her face, with a puppy expression. “But now that he’s back, I’m afraid. I’m scared, Taehee.” His hands are balled into shaky fists on his sides, his knuckles turned white. “I’m terrified even, that he will take you away from me.” His voice shakes wildly.

For such a grown-up man like Taemin – he’s one year older than Taehee – to be on the verge of crying, the woman feels the most responsible one. It’s all her fault, for not paying him enough attention. He’s a real sweetheart, more than she deserves. But…

“Oppa,” she says with her hands touching those pretty cheeks as she gets on her tiptoes. “Jongin won’t take me away from you. We both know that I no longer love him. When I told him I’m done with him, I sincerely meant it. And…” She hesitates for a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter