–2.

Catch the Rebound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Such behavior coming from Taehee was expected, truth to be told. But that does not mean it hadn’t affected Jongin in any way. He is, too, only human. And yes, he is the one responsible for neglecting his precious family for almost a decade, but… Can’t she just allow him to see his son?

Jongin limps to the nearest bus station, pondering what his next step should be. He’s currently rented a room in a dorm house, though he cannot search for a workplace as of yet, since he still has to clear out his identity. And for that, he has to speak both to the doctor who’s handled the case and also a police officer. 

“It leaves me without a choice, I guess.” The man sighs out tiredly, and notices the approaching bus.

Luckily, Hyera hadn’t moved out from her old apartment. Jongin knows, because he asked around the neighborhood. And since it’s in the afternoon, she’s more than certain at home with Inhye.

“Ten years…” Jongin reminds himself, as he looks around the place.

Everything has changed. Grown trees decorate the streets, shielding the people from the upcoming heat of summer. Before, there used to be bushes and flowers. The apartment complex is painted a light blue, whereas it used to be grey. And now, benches rest before it.

Seeing him limp, an old lady allows him in, saving Jongin from dialing Hyera’s apartment and giving her probably the shock of her life. Oh, that’s right; he’s returned to South Korea two days prior, so he’s still challenged into accepting the whole changes.

The ashy brown eyed man heads to his older sister’s floor and allows him one more second, as he stands before her door, mentally preparing himself to ring the bell. Jongin has no time to waste, so, with both eyes closed, the rings the bell.

A few moments slip by, and the door opens eventually, revealing a small girl, who looks up at him with her big and round eyes.

“Who are you, mister?” Her question causes his heart to be slain by a dagger, though rationally speaking, she has no way of remembering him…

“Inhye-ah, who is it?” An older woman’s voice echoes from the apartment, one that Jongin recognizes immediately.

The woman then comes to the front door and welcomes him with a loud gasp. With her hand covering , the woman leans into the wall, so she won’t collapse on the spot. Inhye frowns at the happening and sides with her mother, worried sick.

“J-Jongin! You’re back?” Hyera asks with a shaky voice, and the tears stroll down her face.

Jongin, still unsure how to act, decides on opening his arms to support his sister. His niece throws him an angry look and the man has to bite the bottom of his lip, not to chuckle. That’s so Inhye!

Eventually, he helps Hyera inside, Inhye ending up closing the door. She doesn’t like how that stranger knows their apartment that well. But then again, not many changes have been made.

The woman needs one more minute to come back to her senses, and when she does, she embraces Jongin tightly, tears of joy falling from her eyes.

“You bad jerk! Why didn’t you call?!” She cries out against his shoulder.

Guilt pricks him again, and Jongin buries his head into his sister’s hair. So Taehee had told them about him being alive.

Hyera excuses herself to prepare coffee and some biscuits, letting Inhye in the living room, with Jongin. She glares at him honestly, and Jongin looks at her amazed, wondering when she grew so much.

“Mister, who are you to make my mommy cry?!” Inhye asks him, guarding herself carefully.

A smile breaks on his tired face. But, instead of him, Hyera answers, coming from the kitchen.

“He’s Kim Jongin, my younger brother and your uncle.” She says as she places the tray on the coffee table.

Inhye looks at him with widened eyes.

“Jongmin’s daddy?”

Hearing that title, he feels warmth spreading in his chest, filling him up with energy in an instant. Yes, yes! He’d want to shout it out to the world, that he’s Jongmin’s daddy.

“But mommy, wasn’t he dead?” Inhye asks her mother.

And the warmth is replaced by pain. Hyera panics a little, and she looks at Jongin with pleading eyes, but he shakes his head in understanding.

“It was a misunderstanding.” Jongin then tells his niece.

“Taehee told me she met you. I hoped you would return, in the end. I initially thought she went over to persuade you to return, but…” She finished with a sigh.

Jongin sips a bit from his coffee. Indeed, it has the same taste his beloved sister made.

“Unintentionally, she did. What Taehee asked was to keep out of her and Jongmin’s lives from now on. I never intended to do that. I just… needed time.” The man explains brokenheartedly.

Hyera frowns at him, but then notices the walking cane leaned against the cou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter