Return

100 Degrees Celcius

“Mr. Cho?

 

Is someone calling my name?

 

“Mr.Cho?”

 

Kyuhyun jolted upright as he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked around confusedly. What the heck? Was I daydreaming?

 

“Nice to have you back on Earth Mr. Cho. Since it appears you know this material well enough that you don’t have to pay attention in class, why don’t you tell me what the three bones of the inner ear are?”

 

Still dazed, Kyuhyun looked up to see Ryeowook standing in front of him. His face was stern, but he looked as if he were trying to conceal a smile.

 

He’s...glowing. Has he always looked this way?! Kyuhyun continued to stare up at Ryeowook.

 

“Are you going to answer my question Mr. Cho, or are you just going to sit there and drool?”

 

Kyuhyun jerked back to reality again, instinctively clasping his hand to his mouth to check if he actually was drooling. The class was trying to stifle their giggles.

 

“Ummm… the three bones of the inner ear are…are the malleus...th-the incus an-and the st-stapes.” Kyuhyun stammered out the answer as fast as he could. He could feel his face turning bright red. He clasped his hands together to ground himself. He didn’t want to meet Ryeowook’s eye. What is happening to me? Why do I feel this way? I’m never like this!

 

“Well, it looks like you do know your stuff well enough to be making that ‘puppy love’ face, but I would really appreciate it if you paid attention to the lecture.” The class erupted into laughter at Professor Kim’s statement.

 

Ryeowook shot Kyuhyun a warm, but stern smile. Kyuhyun’s heart began to race. He could feel himself getting impossibly redder.

 

“Oooh! Kyuhyun’s in love!” Someone called from the back of the room. The class burst into giggles once more.

“Alright class! Let’s bring the focus back to the skeletal system.” Professor Kim turned to begin writing on the whiteboard and the class quieted down.

 

Kyuhyun buried his burning face into his textbook, In...in love? No… that can’t be…

 

He tentatively looked up to Ryeowook.

 

And his heart began to race.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to talk to Kibum. Maybe he knows what’s wrong with me…

 

Kyuhyun walked into Spanish class. Kibum waved enthusiastically as Kyuhyun walked in. “Hola Kyu!” [“Hello, Kyu!”]

 

“Hello Kibum”

 

“ Es la clase de Español. ¡Hablame en Español!” [“This is Spanish class. Speak to me in Spanish!”]

 

Kyuhyun stared blankly at Kibum, who smiled goofily back at him. “I have no idea what you just said to me.”

 

Kibum shook his head, still smiling. “Aigoo Kyu-yah, you’re hopeless!” Kyuhyun sat down next to Kibum and sighed. How do I even tell him. I’m not even sure what’s going on…

 

Kibum stopped smiling. “What’s wrong Kyu? Are you okay?” Kyuhyun wrung his fingers, mustering up the nerve to say something. Then it all came pouring out.

 

“So I was in anatomy class and Ryeowook was there and helookedsopretty like, hewasbasicallyglowing and I got this weird feeling like I was nervous butIhadnoreasontobenervous and then I couldn’t pay attention andIwastotallyspacingout and juststaringathim and then he asked me a question and I had no idea what the heck was happening and then the class laughed and said I was love but what the heck Ican’tbeinlove?”

 

Kyuhyun gasped, breathless after letting the whole story out in one go. Kibum stared at him, wide eyed for a moment before bursting out into laughter. He leaned back in his chair, putting on the most swave and nonchalant face he could muster.

 

“My dear, naive Kyu, I know you are not the most experienced in matters of the heart, but from what you’re telling me, I think you’re ~in loooovveee~ with Professor Kim.” He looked up at Kyuhyun coyly.

 

Kyuhyun stared at him in annoyance. “Yah! This coming from the guys who can’t get laid.”

 

Kibum sat up straight and let out a squeak in response to Kyuhyun’s comment.

 

At that, Professor Martínez gave Kibum a stern look. “Señor Kim, si tiene tanto deseo de hablar, ¿puede traducir esta frase, por favor?” [“Mr. Kim, if you have such a strong desire to talk, can you please translate this sentence?”] He gestured to a phrase written on the whiteboard: “No thank you, I’m allergic to crustaceans. I prefer to order the fish soup.”

 

Kibum stood up confidently. “Sí Profesor Stawski.”

“No grácias, soy alérgico a los crustaceos. Prefiero ordenar el caldo de mariscos.” [“Yes, Mr. Stawski. ‘No thank you, I’m allergic to crustaceans. I prefer to order the fish soup.’”]

 

“Buen trabajo Señor Kim. Trate de no hacer más sonidos extraños.” [Good job Mr. Kim. Try not to make any more strange noises.]

 

Kibum sat down, smiling once again. Kyu still looked annoyed. He leaned in to whisper to Kibum. “Okay, so what do I do about this?”

 

“First of all, you can’t ignore the call of ~loooveeee~ so you must act! Okay, so first of all, you’re going to need to get a nice bottle of wine-- not sure how you’re gonna do that but we can figure that out later. Then you’re going to have to prepare a nice candlelit dinner and ask Professor Kim out--”

 

“Yah! Are you insane? I’m not going to ask Ryeowook out on a date! Why would I do that?!”

 

“Because you’re in loooovvvveeeee!” Kibum sang the word, clasping his hands and making wide, puppy-dog eyes at Kyu.”

 

“Aish! Stop that. You’re crazy. I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to ask you for advice. Plus, I’m not in love with Ryewook.”

 

“Okay, maybe a candlelit dinner isn’t the best idea-- though it did work on Seohyun- but if you don’t at least have a crush on Professor Kim, then how do you explain your meltdown earlier?”

 

“I...I don’t know.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I guess I should ask Coach Heechul. He’s older so he has more experience. Maybe he can help me figure out what’s up.

 

After swim practice, Kyuhyun walked to Heechul’s office, knocking hesitantly on the door.

 

“Come in!”

 

Kyuhyun peered shyly around the door. Walking in slowly, closing the door behind him. He sat down tensely. Relax! There’s no reason to be nervous. It’s just Coach…

 

Heechul smiled at Kyuhyun! “Hello, Kyuhyun! How have you been doing?”

 

“I’ve been okay… thank you.” He stopped, hesitating.

 

“Coach, can I ask you something…?”

 

“Deh, of course” Heechul looked at him apprehensively,

 

Kyuhyun took in a deep breath and told him what he’d he’d just told Kibum.

 

Heechul was giving him a slight smile, but he also looked a bit concerned.

 

“Yah! You brat! You’re supposed to be focusing on training for your competition, not falling in love! You need to stay focused. If you don’t do well in this competition, you’re going to be in trouble.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded his head. I’ve just been scolded, but he’s still smiling so I know he’s not mad.

 

“I don’t really have any advice to give you. The only thing I will suggest is that you focus on training and forget this whole thing. Arasso?”

 

“Deh, Coach-nim”

 

“Good. Now get out of my office, and go practice some more!” Heechul made a ‘shooing’ gesture. Kyuhyun left the office and headed towards the pool

 

Okay, Coach is right. I need to focus on swimming! I can’t believe I got caught up in all this ‘love’ nonsense. It’s all Kibum’s fault for overreacting… and that Ryeowook for showing up today all-of-a-sudden. Yeah, that’s it. I was just surprised to see him, and tired from training so hard. I’ll just ignore it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Kyuhyun left his office, Heechul heaved a deep sigh. Aigoo… this kid is going to be the death of me. I knew something would go wrong as soon as Wookie came back.

 

Heechul had been attending therapy with Ryeowook for the last couple of weeks, and he’d seen a drastic improvement in just a short time, but he couldn’t shake his worry about what the heck was going on between his dear friend and his student. He was worried about what Kyu had told him today.

 

I don’t really understand it but, I know there’s some kind of strong connection between those two. I can see how a young mind might perceive it as love, but that can’t be what it is… and that would imply some other problems. He pressed his face into his palms, breathing in. Well, as long as Wookie doesn’t try to pursue anything, it won’t be a problem. Kyu will just forget about it and move on.

 

The phone suddenly rang.

 

“Anneyong. Coach Kim Heechul speaking”

 

“Heechul-ah! How are you?”

 

“Leeteuk-shi! It’s been a long time. I’ve been hanging in there. How about you? How’s Kangin?”

 

“Oh, we’ve both been well! But…I actually have a favor to ask of you.”

 

“Deh, of course, Leeteuk-ssi! What can I do to help?”

 

“Well, I know that Kyuhyun has been training very hard for his upcoming competition, and Sungmin has been training with the other senior swim students, but he’s not really progressing. He’s been saying that he’s not learning and that he misses training with Kyuhyun… I know it’s a lot to ask, but would it be possible if Kyuhyun could keep training Kyuhyun again?”

 

“Oh! Why didn’t Sungmin tell me anything? Are they treating him badly?!”

 

“No! Sungmin is just shy. He says the other students are very nice to him, but he misses Kyu and learns better with him.”

 

“I don’t know if Kyuhyun will be available, but I will definitely try to work something out with him.”

 

“Thank you so much! If it would be helpful, Kyu can come here and train with Sungmin in our pool.”

 

“Oh! That would be great! I’ll talk to Kyuhyun and see if we can work something out.”

 

“Wonderful! Gamsahapnida Hee-nim!”

 

Heechul hung up the call and proceeded to compose a text to Kyuhyun. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[The next day]

 

Kyuhyun was on his way to Sungmin’s house. He was so surprised when he got the text from Coach Heechul last night. I’d actually missed hanging out with Sungmin. I’m glad I get to work with him again, even though I’m super busy right now.

 

He walked up to the address Heechul had given him. I guess this is it. He reached up and knocked hesitantly on the door. Almost immediately, a brightly smiling man wearing a frilly pink apron opened the door.

 

Hello! You must be Kyuhyun! I’m Leeteuk, Sungmin’s eomma. Please come in.” Leeteuk opened the door fully and gestured toward the living room with a flourish.

 

Kyuhyun stepped into the house, a little overwhelmed by Leeteuk’s welcome. Wow. I can see where Sungmin gets his personality from. He looked around the room. It was a beautiful home, sleek and modernly decorated, but still homey.

 

“Please, take a seat. I’ll go tell Sungmin that you’re here. Would you like something to drink?”

 

“No, I’m fine, thank you.” Kyuhyun took a seat on the gray loveseat in the living room as Leeteuk bustled upstairs, calling Sungmin.

 

“Hyung!” Sungmin yelled as he burst into the living room in nothing but swim trunks, running straight to Kyuhyun and giving him a hug. “I’m so excited that you’re going to be teaching me again!”

 

“I’m really excited too, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun smiled down at the exuberant boy.

 

“Kyuhyun, there’s a bathroom down the hall so you can change,” Leeteuk said, still smiling broadly.

 

“Deh, thank you.” As he made his way toward the bathroom, he heard the doorbell ring and the muffled sounds of Leeteuk and someone else’s voices. Were they expecting company? I hope I’m not intruding on anything…

 

Kyuhyun walked back out into the living room wearing his swim trunks to find Ryeowook sitting on the sofa talking to Sungmin.

 

Kyuhyun stopped dead in his tracks. Why is he here? He doesn’t live here… No! Just pretend he’s a random person. Don’t think about him!

 

Leeteuk noticed Kyuhyun standing in the doorway. “Ah, Kyuhyun! I’m sorry I forgot to mention this earlier, but Kangin-ah and I are going on our date night, so Wookie will be the one supervising you two. I hope that’s okay.”

 

Kyuhyun was frozen. “Ddd...deh. That’s fine.” I can’t believe this is happening. I’ll just make sure we don’t make a fuss. Pretend he’s not here Kyu!

 

“Wonderful! Then, Kangin and I will be off! Sungminnie, behave yourself. Have fun!”

 

“Deh, eomma!” Sungmin waved enthusiastically as they left. Leeteuk gave Ryeowook a peck on the cheek as they walked out the door.

 

“Alright hyung, let’s go!” Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun by the wrist and began pulling him toward the backyard. Kyuhyun shot a quick glance back at Ryeowook, who smiled at him politely and nodded. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Alright, now I want you to swim to the end of the pool and come back here.”

 

“Deh!” Sungmin got into position, ready to complete the task Kyuhyun had just given him.

“Ready? Go!” Sungmin took off at Kyuhyun’s command. He’s really getting good! Kyuhyun watched as Sungmin reached the end of the pool and began to turn back around. He noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned to see Ryeowook walking out of the house wearing a robe and flip-flops. What’s he doing out here?!

 

Ryeowook took a seat just as Sungmin reached Kyuhyun. He bobbed out of the water with a splash.

 

“How did I do?” Sungmin smiled expectantly at Kyu.

 

Kyuhyun quickly turned away from Ryeowook.“Uh, umm, you did great! You’ve really improved since I last saw you swim great job!”

 

Sungmin grinned widely, then noticed Ryeowook sitting by the pool.

 

“Hyung! Did you see me? How was I?”

 

Ryeowook smiled warmly. “You did wonderfully!”

 

“Gamsahapnida. Would you like me to get us some drinks?”

 

“That would be lovely, thank you.” Sungmin got out of the pool and headed toward the house. Kyuhyun couldn’t even get a word in about the whole thing. No! Don’t leave us alone!

 

“Kyuhyun, you don’t mind if I take a bit of a swim? I promise I won’t get in the way of your practice.” Before Kyuhyun could even respond to Ryewook’s question, he got up out of his chair and began to take off his robe.

 

And Kyuhun stopped breathing.

 

Ryeowook dropped his robe onto the chair. Kyuhyun could do nothing but stare. Before him, stood Ryewook wearing nothing but swim trunks, his smooth, toned abs glistening in the fading daylight.

 

Kyuhun’s mind went blank.

 

Ryeowook jumped into the pool. He bobbed out of the water, His toned arms flexed as he reached up to push his wet hair back from his face.

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t think. He couldn’t breathe. All he could do was stare at Ryeowook. It was as if the rest of the world has melted away and that was left was the man standing before him.

 

This is like what happened to me in class yesterday. It feels the same way.

 

“Kyuhyun, are you okay?”

 

Kyuhyun felt a tap on his shoulder. He shook turned to see Ryeowook was, right in front of him, a look of concern on his face.

 

“Deh...I’m okay,” Kyuhyun responded in a small voice.

 

“Good! I was just checking.” Ryeowook smiled at Kyu and began to swim toward the other side of the pool.

 

Kyuhyun watched as Ryeowook swam away confidently.

 

And his heart began to race.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!

First of all, let me apologize for how long this chapter took to write! College has been crazy with finals and sorting out my summer plans and that whole thing. But fear not, it's late but it's here! Is Kyu finally acknowleding his feelings for Wookie? How is Wookie feeling? Stay tuned to find out~

Stay Badass,

WookiesLongLostTwin

P.S Wish me luck on my Biochemistry final!

 

 

Hello everyone! Thank you for your unconditional support! You guys are amazing! I am sorry, for I am the reason this chapter hasn't been posted for months now. But like we promised, I will commit to this beautiful story that still has so much to tell you guys. Please look forward to the next chapter that's comming very soon. <3

Love,

~Hellena