Help

100 Degrees Celcius

There was complete silence. The air froze in the room as Ryeowook and Kyuhyun stared at the now empty doorframe.

 

Ryeowook looked out the door into the hallway, now beginning to fill with the bustle of the morning rush. He turned to look at Kyuhyun, who was now staring at the ground, clasping his hands awkwardly as he refused to make eye contact. His gazed focused on the purple marks on Kyuhyun’s neck, the makeup having been smeared off by this point.

 

What have I done? What have I been doing? What the is wrong with me?

 

The events of the past couple of weeks flashed before him as he stared and his vision blurred: Yeye’s treachery, his lashes of violence toward Kyuhyun, the worry he’s been causing Sugnminnie, the way he’s been neglecting his students.

 

His tumultuous feelings toward Kyuhyun.

 

The weight of it all brought him to his knees.

 

I’m disgusting.

 

He began to sob uncontrollably. Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook, wide eyed, not knowing what to do. Class is about to start. I can’t let the other students see him this way… aish! Why do I feel the need to protect this ? He shook his head. No time to think about that now. Kyuhyun ran out of the classroom, slamming the door shut behind him. He sped toward Coach Kim’s office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Kim choachinim!” Kyuhyun shouted as he threw open the door to Heechul’s office.

 

“Yah, you brat! What do you think you’re doing busting into my office like that?!” Heechul yelled. Kyuhyun stood panting in the doorway. Heechul noticed the dark bruises on his neck. “What’s that on your neck? Who did that to you?!”

 

“It…*huff* doesn’t matter *huff*. Prof...*huff* Professor Kim needs help.”

 

Heechul’s eyes widened. “Where is he?”

 

“He’s in his classroom.”

 

“You stay here,” Heechul commanded Kyuhyun as he sprinted out of the office toward Ryeowook. Kyuhyun ignored the order and took off after his coach.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Heechul burst into the classroom to see Ryeowook sobbing on the floor, holding his head in his hands.

 

“Wookie! What happened?!” Heechul ran to Ryeowook and pulled him into his chest as he continued to sob. “Aigoo… what happened to you Wookie? Here. Can you stand? We need to get you out of here.” He turned to Kyuhyun. “You! Since you’re here, write a note on and put it on the door that says class is cancelled today.” Heechul gently pulled Ryeowook up.

 

“We will wait until class starts. Then I will take Professor Kim to my office. You go let the main office know that Ryeowook will not be teaching today. Tell them I sent you and then come wait outside my office. DON’T come in unless I tell you to. I’ll make sure you get excused from your classes today. We’re going to deal with whatever the is going on here.” Kyuhyun nodded in response and sat down at one of the desks, keeping his eyes down. Ryeowook’s sobs were the only sound in the room.

 

The final bell rang after what felt like endless minutes.

 

Kyuhyun stood up and quietly left the room.

 

Heechul waited for Kyuhyun’s steps to recede before guiding the sniffling Ryeowook out.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

In the solitude of Hee-nim’s office, Ryeowook was finally able to quiet his sobs. I can’t believe I just broke down like that… and in front of Kyuhyun, for ’s sake!

 

“Wookie, please tell me what’s going on.” Heechul pleaded softly to Ryeowook. He looked kindly at his dear friend.

 

Ryeowook met Heechul’s eyes. The sympathy he saw in them nearly caused another wave of tears, but he pushed it down. Taking in a deep breath, he let out everything that had happened in the last few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyuhyun sat outside of Coach Kim’s office. He could hear as Professor Kim’s sobs began to quiet. This bastard. First he nearly in’ kills me then he comforts me then he throws a tantrum? Is he unstable? And what about me?! I’m the real ing victim here! This guy’s been tormenting me and hurting me for weeks! Why haven’t I told anyone about it? Why do I feel the need to protect that ?

 

He gingerly touched the bruises on his neck, his mind lingering on the stinging pain. Suddenly, he heard someone begin to speak from inside the office. Coach said I couldn’t go into his office; he never said I couldn’t listen in. With a mischievous grin, he walked quietly up to the door, straining to make out the words.

 

“...that completely boiled over when I found Yeye cheating on me. It was like, my breaking point. I even lost my composure in front of Sungminnie, which you know I hate to do. That’s what hurts me most, knowing that I’ve been causing him to worry all this time.” That’s the bastard’s voice, Kyuhyun thought.

 

“Wookie, I understand that the issue with Yesung would be derailing for you-- you have every right to be upset. And I know you are very protective of Sungmin and feel guilty for causing him worry, but what I don’t get is… how does Kyuhyun fit into all of this?”

 

Kyuhyun’s body stiffened at the mention of his name. He held his breath, anxious to hear what Ryeowook would respond.

 

Ryeowook looked down at his lap, wringing his hands.

 

“I… I don’t know. Ever since the first day I saw him, it was like we immediately had this destiny to hate and hurt each other and be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s like we were destined to be enemies for no reason. He… he provokes such visceral emotion in me. When I’m around him, I can’t control myself. You know I keep my emotions in check. You’ve heard the kids call me ‘the Ice King’... but when I’m around that kid, I just… lose it.”

 

Kyuhyun stopped breathing. What does he mean?

 

Heechul’s eyes widened as he processed what Ryeowook had just said. He was worried, and frankly, a little scared.

 

“Wookie… I saw… Kyuhyun’s neck… and when he hurt his head… did you… do you… are you…”

Ryeowook began to sob.

 

Heechul stared. . Did Wookie do that to Kyu? Why?! I don’t know what to do…

 

He got up shakily and hugged Ryeowook, patting his head, gently. “Wookie. I don’t quite understand what’s going on between you and Kyu...but if… if you did that to Kyu, then something needs to be done. To protect both of you. I don’t want you to get in trouble, but you need help. I’m going to get you help. Everything is going to be okay Wookie. I promise.”

 

Heechul stood there holding Ryeowook until his sobs ebbed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyuhyun backed away from the door, startled, confused. What was all of that?

 

He sat back down on the chair outside of the office, feeling uncertain, and concerned. Why is this happening? Why are this guy and I like this? It looks like he is also as confused as I am about it… but he’s always the one hurting me…

\

The office door opened and Kyuhyun was jarred out of his thoughts. Heechul leaned out of the doorway, keeping the door mostly closed so Ryeowook couldn’t be seen.

 

“Kyuhyun, go home. I will call your Umma and tell him you’ll be on your way.”

 

Really? He’s just going to send me home? Without even telling me anything! I’m a part of whatever this mess is! I should be able to know what’s going on!

 

Before Kyuhyun could open his mouth in protest, Heechul cut him off. “Look. I know we have kind of a mess on our hands, but I don’t know enough about what’s going on to figure anything out right now. Don’t worry; I won’t keep you out of the loop, but let the adults handle this for now.”

 

“I am an adult!” Kyuhyun shouted in protest.

 

“Yah! You’re just a little brat! Now go home!” Heechul gave a reassuring but weary smile to Kyuhyun before closing the door to his office.

 

With a huff of indignance, Kyuhyun hoisted his backpack onto his shoulder and headed home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It wasn’t even noon and Heechul was already exhausted from the morning crisis and the half a dozen phone calls he’d made afterwards. After sending Kyuhyun home, he called Ryeowook’s parents to let them know what had happened (and then he’d had to reassure them multiple times that everything was okay and that they didn’t, in fact, need to call the police or the armed forces or the president.) He sent Wookie home once he was sure he could be trusted to drive. He then called Kyuhyun’s Umma to fill him in a bit. Leeteuk was also ready to call every authority in South Korea but Heechul assured him that it wasn’t necessary, and that, though there weren’t many details yet, he’d keep in touch. He then called the principal to explain the situation, and request the day off for both him and Wookie tomorrow. He was going to take Wookie to see a therapist.

 

He finally sat down to have his lunch, heaving a sigh that betrayed the weight of his tiredness, his concern for his friend, and his worry for his student. Aigoo… how am I going to handle this? I should stop thinking about it for now. Let me just enjoy my food.

 

“YO! Coach!!!”

 

Heechul looked up from the food he was about to dig into to see Kibum had found him in his secluded corner of the cafeteria. Kibum plopped his tray down across from Heechul.

 

“Yah, Kibum, don’t you have friends to sit with?” Heechul teased.

 

“Well… Kyuhyun and I usually sit together, but he’s not here today so…”

 

Heechul’s face softened with sympathy for Kibum. Aish! This poor kid. That’s why you should have more than one friend.

 

Heechul nodded to Kibum, giving him permission to stay. As he was about to start eating, he was interrupted once more.

 

“Actually, Coach… I have a question…”

 

Heechul looked curiously up at Kibum, surprised by the sudden meekness of his tone. Kibum was looking down at his tray, tapping his index fingers together nervously.

 

“De. Come on, Spit it out.”

 

“So… a few days ago… I took Seohyun to a Love Motel… and…”

 

“Heechul’s eyes widened and he rapidly covered his ears with his hands, dropping his chopsticks with a clang.

 

“YAH! Those are not the kinds of things a teacher wants to hear! Talk to Kyuhyun about it! And if you have any questions about… that… go ask the nurse!” Heechul picked up his tray and sped away to go eat in his office. In peace.

 

Aigoo… the way things are going, I’m the one who’s going to need a therapist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

*BEEP BEEP* Heechul honked his car horn as he pulled up to Ryeowook’s apartment. He pushed back against the seat, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel and letting out a deep exhale. He’d booked an appointment with “Dr. Han,” who was highly recommended.

 

Heechul greeted Wookie warmly as he entered the car. “Hey Wookie! How are you doing?”

 

He smiled weakly. “I’m doing okay, Heechul-ah.” Heechul smiled at his friend, but Ryeowook kept his eyes downcast, clearly lost in thought.

 

Ryeowook had been a wreck for the last 24 hours. He’d been trying so hard to make sense of everything swirling around in his head. He was trying to sort out his feelings for Yesung-- which he’d been confident about before Yesung’s sudden, drastic return. He’d been worried about the trouble he’d been causing Sungmin, his parents, Heechul and…

 

He’d actually been trying not to think about Kyuhyun. Everything related to Kyuhyun was a blur. Did I...did I really do that to Kyuhyun…? Why… How could I have...done something like that…

 

Ryeowook really had no idea how he felt about Kyuhyun. All he knew as that he felt something. And he felt it strongly,

 

“Wookie, we’re here.” Heechul tapped Ryeowook’s shoulder. “Are you ready?” Heechul looked worriedly at Ryeowook, who inhaled sharply, collecting his courage. “Deh. Let’s go.”

 

Ryeowook insisted on doing the paperwork by himself. I have to stop relying on Heechul. I’m going to take care of this myself. I’ll even go talk to the doctor by myself.

 

The pair sat in silence in the sterile waiting room as they waited for Ryeowook’s name to be called. Heechul flipped mindlessly through a fashion magazine from 2009. Ryeowook stared at his lap.

“Kim Ryeowook?” A young woman in a pristine button-down shirt and black pencil skirt walked into the room, looking around expectantly.

 

“Heechul-ah, I’m going to go by myself, if that’s okay…”

 

“Of course, Wookie. Whatever makes you most comfortable.” He smiled reassuringly.

 

Ryeowook followed the woman into a consultation room. “Dr. Han will be here in just a couple of minutes, please sit down comfortably.” She smiled tritely before leaving the room, closing the door behind here.

 

Ryeowook sat down awkwardly on the sofa, growing more nervous by the second, when suddenly the door opened and a kind-eyed Chinese man walked in. “Hello. Nice to meet you. I’m Dr. Han.” Ryeowook stood up and bowed. “Hello. I’m Kim Ryeowook nice to meet you.”

 

“Please, sit,” Dr. Han said, gesturing to the sofa. “I heard your friend set up this appointment for you. I have some details but I would just like to start by having a conversation with you. Would you like to begin.” He smiled professionally, his pen poised to take notes on his clipboard.

 

This man looks very kind… but I think I would actually feel better with Heechul here… should I ask if he can join me?! Shyly, Ryeowook spoke up, “Actually… the friend who called in brought me here… would it be okay if he joined us? I think I’d be more comfortable that way…”

 

Dr. Han raised his eyebrows slightly. “Well, these sessions are usually one-on-one, but if you think him being here will allow you to be more comfortable, then it would help me be more helpful to you. What’s his name? I’ll have the receptionist call him in.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Heechul followed the nurse toward the consultation room, secretly very happy that Wookie had changed his mind about doing the consultation alone. I knew he’d have a change of heart. He’s too closed off around people he doesn’t know. Having a friend there will help him open up.

 

“It’s right here.” The nurse opened the door and gestured into a cozy room.

 

“Gamsahapnida.” Heechul thanked the receptionist before stepping into the room. He started to greet Wookie, when all of a sudden, he noticed the other man in the room.

 

Before him stood the most gorgeous man he’d ever seen.

 

He shook his head when he caught himself staring, regaining his composure.

 

“Hello. My name is Kim Heechul, Ryeowook’s friend. It’s nice to meet you.” He greeted the man, eyeing him coyly.

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Dr. Han. Please, make yourself comfortable.” He gestured to the spot on the sofa next to Wookie.

 

Heechul plopped down confidently next to Ryeowook. Damn. If I didn’t need a therapist before, I sure as hell want one now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up guys? We're back into it now! First of all, let me apologize. This is the first thing I've written that ISN'T a lab report in, like a year in a half. I'm still getting into the swing of fic-writing again, so please bear with me~ What will become of Wookie and Kyu's relationship? Will sparks fly between Heechul and the mysterious Dr. Han? Will KIBUM EVER GET LAID?! Stay tuned to find out!

Stay Badass,

-WookiesLongLostTwin

 

Annyeong beautiful readers! Wah! I am so overwhelmed by all the love that we have recieved! My friend Avi (WookiesLongLostTwin) is such an amazing writer, right??? Aigoo, we understand that Wookie is not his usual sweet and cheerful self, but we promise that will come soon! Thank you all so much for all the love and support! <3

Love,

~Hellena