Perfect Body

N E X: Trigger Happy

All night, he drove, stopping only for a short piss and petroleum. Detective Jaejoong Kim yawned as he walked down one of the many hallways of Neo-Seoul East Side police station. Even though he had never been there personally, his legs were imprinted with directions. The five branches of Neo-Seoul were built identical to one another. As he used to work in the South Side branch, he knew the floor plan like the back of his hand. Jaejoong stopped in front of a double door leading to the Criminal Investigation Department. He glanced at his wrist watch. It read eight minutes till twelve.

And out of the blue... "Just in time. You must be Detective Kim." The voice portrayed a picture of elegance, smart-, with a hint of heartiness. Jaejoong turned to meet a pair of kind brown eyes. It belonged to a young man, dressed in a dark grey suit with something that looked like a white handkerchief peeking out from his left pocket.

"When did you... I would have heard footsteps."

"You must be out of touch with reality." The man verbally conveyed Jaejoong's exact thought. "Ah, not really." He chuckled, his white face wrinkle-free. "I'm somewhat of a ghost around here. Floating along the corridors and scaring new folks is my pastime."

If this was to be the Detective Chief Inspector, Jaejoong would've much prefer the more serious over-the-phone version. There was something odd about the man and not just his queer friendliness. His eyes drifted down to the man's feet. Hmm... so that was it... clean shaved face, nice suit, and no shoes but Jaejoong wasn't there to judge his colleagues.

"Our department isn't at all strict on dress code." He held a hand and introduced himself. "Detective Chief Inspector Sho Young."

Jaejoong shook his hand. The skin ship magnified both awareness and meaning for both men. Jaejoong confirmed it. The man was indeed a piece of work.

"You are just the person I need." Strange tranquility flowed against his words. When did 'we' become 'I?'

Jaejoong pulled back, exerting more power than usual, as if his hand was caught in a web of strong magnetic fields. The DCI smiled politely while flicking his hand in the manner one would do to a leg that had fallen asleep. "Well now... shall we head on in?"

• • • • • • •

"I did exactly what you told me to do." Ryuu whispers into the mouth piece. "Is it okay to be talking to you over the phone?"

"Did he agree?" She sounds extremely calm.

"Yeah, but what's going on, baby girl? What happened with Jaejoong? Did he do something to you? Why won't you come home?"

"You'll just think I'm ing crazy." Her voice cracks.

"Let's meet. I need to see you. I need to know you're okay."

"No, we shouldn't. It's not safe."

"But we're speaking through an insecure phone line."

"They'll erase this conversation as if this call never happened."

"They? Who's they?"

Her tone changes suddenly as if she is reading a written speech. "This message is for you people. I know you exist. I know the things you are searching for, I know the things you are following, and I have information that may be of value. I want to make contact."

The line goes silent.

"Jesus Christ, Xinling! What's gotten into you? It's Jaejoong, isn't it? He did something to you... that's why you canceled the wedding and disappeared. I'll get him. I'll get him for sure and then you can come back."

"No! Stay the hell away from him, do you understand me?!" Her sharp words fade into a weak mewl. "Please... please, Ryuu... I'm begging you. I can't bear anymore. To lose you too would be..."

Ryuu hated making her cry. Their parents did enough of that already. " Okay, Lingbaby. I promise I won't look for him."

"... and don't let him find you."

 He laughs despite himself. "What am I supposed to do? Hide under a rock?" Ryuu lets out a sigh. "Well at least tell me why I got an ex-inspector chasing after you. Are you trying to get caught? Because he's good at what he does."

She doesn't reply and the silence strains him.

"Hello? Are you still there?" He doesn't try to hide the panic.

"I just need to be on my toes. You know how I function best under pressure."

"Whatever it is you're doing, just try to stay safe, okay?"

"You too."

"I love you."

"I..." She holds back her usual response. To love, at this point, makes her uneasy. "I know, Ryuu. I know."

• • • • • • •

"So... I heard you stabbed some guy with a broken beer bottle. How did it feel? Good?" The boy, who was not yet a man... with his hair dyed in a generous array of colors, leaned over Jaejoong's desk in a lewd manner.

"If you don't have any new information for me then off."

"Touchy, touchy. Just trying to make some small talk here." He looked uncomfortable in his suit. It looked like the suit was wearing him instead of the other way around. "You know that Richard Evanston guy? The last person with him was this girl here." He dropped an open manila folder onto the desk. "Maria Hanazawa."

"Did you find her?" Jaejoong realigned the photos with the stack of yellow papers.

"Yeah. We received a call last night. Some drunks found a dead girl in the alley between 47th and 49th. Maria Hanazawa. Uh... coroner's report... to death? Anyway, the guys back at Central branch did some legwork already. They got in contact with her brother."

"Do you remember what he said to them?"

"He said she was supposed to meet him for dinner and she never came home. I think he genuinely freaked out when he found out she's dead."

"When was the last time he'd seen or talked to her?"

"Uh... don't remember. It's in the report I handed you. Gonna grab lunch. Want some?"

Jaejoong looked up from the file and made eye contact with his assistant, DC Jeremiah Sullivan. "That'll be good. Thanks."