Drop Dead

N E X: Trigger Happy

Jaejoong Kim found himself on the road again, driving across the country without a clue as to where he wanted to go. He felt like a complete wreck. How did it come to this? Everything was going great a month ago. He was employed, engaged, and living the life. And then suddenly, he was unemployed, single, and moving from place to place like a goddamn vagabond.

Was it his fault? Xinling, who was not yet a ghost, haunted his every waking moment. He couldn’t get rid of her. Even after being ditched cleanly at the altar, somehow he still had hopes she’d give him a call. While running away, he still had hopes of meeting her again. But what the would he do if they met? Yeah, a complication he could probably do without.

As he raced along the empty road in his Audi, he noticed how autumn seem to advance out here, turning the leaves into rust. He passed a rotten sign reminding him he was in the middle of nowhere. Jaejoong rolled up the window and the air. The musky smell of dead leaves after a rainfall sickened him. He was always reminded of how it never failed to laid a smile on her face. Xinling took pleasure in the weirdest things. It was one of many reasons why he loved her… still do.

His phone vibrated happily without a care in the world. Lucky phone. Who could be calling him? Wait, could it be… no, probably not.

“Hello?”

“Is this Detective Jaejoong Kim?”

“Yes…” Should he have said no? Yes! What the was he thinking?

“Excellent. This is Detective Chief Inspector Sho Young from Neo-Seoul East Side Police Department. We were informed of your involvement with the ‘unusual’ murder case. If you could, we’d like you to come down to our station as soon as possible.”

“It seems like they failed to inform you of my dismissal, detective. You see, I stabbed a guy with a broken beer bottle and I'm no longer with the force.”

“We won’t hold it against you. A few casualties in the line of duty is perfectly understandable.”

“It was for personal reasons.” Jaejoong couldn't help smiling. He still remembered that motherer’s screams... It was heavenly music to his ears.

“How unfortunate… nevertheless, we're in dire need of your assistance.”

“Can't you discuss it over the phone?”

“That would be a rather difficult task. What I can tell you is this. There have been four similar cases in the last month. The victims drop dead with no cause of death.”

"And it can't be a mere coincidence... Maybe their hearts felt overworked and went on strike."

"In this line of work, we're required to set aside coincidence."

"So you think there's a perpetrator behind these deaths."

"Not only that, I believe the killer is one in the same."

"You came up with this theory without identifying the cause of death?"

"That's what we need you for, detective. You've worked with similar cases and are familiar with the procedures. Therefore, you are the best man for the job. So what do you say?"

"I'm currently in the middle of nowhere."

"That shouldn't pose as a problem."

"Detective Young..."

"Yes?"

"I'll see you at the station tomorrow morning."

"I look forward to working with you, Detective Kim. Good day."

Jaejoong turned the car around and reactivated the GPS. Great. He had a destination now. Work. Something to keep his mind busy so he wouldn't have to think of her. That's good, he told himself. That's good.

• • • • • • •

The streets were dark and silent. The kind of silence that begged to be broken.

And break, it did.

A piercing scream ripped through the thick air like a wailing siren.  The scream belonged to a female... still young and yet so closely akin to death.

. She had chosen an unfavorable mind and body ridden with debt, sickness, and hatred. She should have accepted her brother's invitation to dinner instead of wandering out here all alone. What was she thinking? No... she wasn't thinking at all. 

Two bare masculine hands grabbed her from behind. Such a frail body. She had little fight in her. The man shoved her to the ground while a second man approached. They dragged her bleeding body down the back alley.

"Please! I'll give you money. I'll give you all I have! All of it!"

Her pleading words were met with their vulgar laughter. "We'll take all you have then."

these men. this body. this weak minded little . But a part of her told her to continue begging for mercy... and so she did as they dropped their pants and promised to send her off with the most indecent death.

Their ill treatment of her intensified as did her screams.

"Please... Stop..." Her pleads dimmed to a faint flicker.

Their laughter escalated. They kicked her body around and took turns ripping her apart again. Blood trickled from her every limb. Why was she frozen in fear at a time like this? this body. this little . She need to wake up and get the hell out.

Loud groans diminished to soft moans. He pulled out of her and yanked his pants up before the chilly night air had a chance to nip his sensitive prick. He glared at the girl in disgust. Useless body. Useless mind. And now, thanks to her, he was a man again. An old, ugly, vulgar man...

"The little 's dead. Let's go."