Eight

Reborn

Wiping sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand, Kai hunched his shoulders at the amount of notices that he still had to paste. Half a day had passed just like that and he could see that the sun was about to set. However, he had to be strong for Kyungsoo. Rolling back his shoulders with new found resolve, he set out to continue putting up the notices, only to hear his stomach growl loudly.

“I was wondering where that growl came from. I should have known it came from you.” Someone deadpanned from behind him. 

Whipping around, Kai put a hand to his chest.

“Woah Sehun. Do you sneak up on everyone like that?” Kai teased.

“Yes, nice to see you too, idiot.” Sehun sent a small smirk in his direction, only to have a hand knock him upside the head.

“Sehun! How could u call your friend an idiot?” From behind Sehun, emerged a cat hybrid with blond hair and pure white ears, white tail whacking Sehun with every word he said.

Kai’s eyes widened into saucers. Since when did Sehun have a cat hybrid?

“Ouch, fine.” Sehun pouted at the cat hybrid, who gave him a disapproving look. 

This gave Kai another mini heart attack. Sehun just pouted. Pouted.

The white cat hybrid brushing up to his side snapped him out of his thoughts. 

“Hello! You must be Kai! I’m Luhan.” Luhan extended his right hand, tail swaying and bouncing excitedly as he introduced himself.

“Nice to meet you too.” Hesitantly, Kai shrivelled under the look Sehun gave him as he took Luhan’s hand in his.

The only thing Kai could process was that wow, Luhan sure was a ball of energy. 

As if detecting his owner’s unapproving look, Luhan dropped Kai’s hand immediately and bounced his way to Sehun, clinging on to his right arm.

“Let’s go eat at this newly opened cafe. Come on, Kai join us!” Luhan shouted over his shoulder, gesturing for Kai to hurry up and follow them while dragging Sehun away by the arm.

Picking up his stack of notices, Kai glanced at it one last time before follow the duo. 

 

 

-

 

 

The tinkling of the chimes above the door signified their entrance into the shop. Slipping into a table near the end of the small cafe, they picked up their menu to choose what they wanted to have there.

After looking through the menu for awhile, Kai waved over a waitress who kept glancing in their direction.

“H-how may I take your order?” The waitress nervously brushed back her long hair, unused to be in the attention of so many beautiful boys.

“I’ll share a slice of chocolate cake with Luhan.” Sehun gestured to Kai to ask his order.

“Oh, I’ll just take a cup of caramel hot chocolate.” Kai pulled down his collar unconsciously, exposing his defined collarbone and part of his chest for the blushing waitress to see. He the menu, lost in his thoughts. Kyungsoo would have loved that drink.

“O-o-ok, p-please wait awhile for your o-order to be served.” The poor waitress looked as if she was about to combust on the spot and scurried away with her hands covering her red face.

Once the waitress was gone, Sehun gave Kai a quizzical look.

“You didn’t flirt with her.” 

“Yes I didn’t, so?” Kai shot back a confused look.

“Kai, you always flirt with girls whenever you can.” Sehun shot back, stating it as though it was common sense.

“Oh.”

“Just “Oh”? Is there a reason?” Sehun pressed further, both curious and worried for his friend.

“It’s just that I bought a cat hybrid recentl-“

“You bought a cat hybrid? Where is he or she now?” 

“Let him continue!” Luhan reached over to cover Sehun’s mouth with his hand, making Sehun splutter at the taste.

“Thanks Luhan.” Kai gave Luhan a small smile. “So I bought a cat hybrid, and I kind of made him upset and he ran away from home.” 

Both stared at Kai for awhile.

“Woah what did you do to make him run away from you?” Luhan questioned, judging Kai from his seat.

“Well, he sorta walk in on me having with this girl…” Kai trailed off, fingers fiddling with the sleeves of his shirt.

“You really did it now.” Sehun whistled.

“I know, that’s why I’m trying to stop my bad habits.” Kai sighed, but suddenly had an epiphany.

“Sehun…” Kai gave Sehun an innocent smile. Too innocent. 

Sehun curled away from Kai’s smile, getting freaked out. “What do you want?”

“Will you and Luhan help me put up these notices?” Kai held up the stack of notices he still had left over. “Since your my bestest bestest friend?”

“No way, do it yourself.” Sehun crossed his arms across his chest. “And isn’t Baekhyun you best friend?”

“But he doesn’t want to help me find Kyungsoo.” Kai whined, tugging on Sehun’s arms. “Please..” 

Just at that moment, the waitress came carrying their orders. 

“No way!” Sehun raised his voice just enough to get the message across, but it made the waitress jump instead.

“I-Im sorry!” The waitress looked to be close to tears. Quickly putting down their orders, she immediately brisk walked away from their table.

“W-wait. I was talking to him…” Sehun trailed off, feeling a little guilty at scaring the waitress.

“But Sehun!” This time it was Luhan tugging on his other arm. “I really want to meet this Kyungsoo. Maybe he can be my playmate!” 

Luhan gave Sehun his biggest pout, ears flattening and disappearing into his hair and teary eyes wide.

“Ah fine.” Sehun could never go against Luhan.

“Look who’s whipped.” Kai teased, running his hand up Sehun’s thigh.

Slapping Kai’s hands away, Sehun muttered an almost inaudible “shut up”, face flushing a pretty red.

“So you promised that you will have put up the notices right?” Kai was eager to finish eating and to start finding Kyungsoo again.

“Yes, yes.” Sehun breathes through his nose.

With that, Kai practically inhaled his caramel hot chocolate and jumped up in his seat. 

“Come on let’s go find Kyungsoo!”

“Wait Kai, can’t you see we’re still eating?” Sehun mumbled through a mouth full of chocolate cake, feeding Luhan at the same time.

“Ok, quickly!” Kai reluctantly plopped back down into his seat, staring at them while they eat.

Pressurised by Kai, both of them quickly finished their cake and wiped their mouths.

After paying for their bill, an excited Kai dragged the two of them out of the shop to continue putting up the notices

Maybe if he was not so rushed to get out of the cafe, he would have seen a particular cat hybrid and a hamster hybrid entering through the other door.

 

-

 

Sorry for no Kyungsoo in this chapter *sobs*

Hello guys, sorry about the long update. I'm at my last week of exams already so look forward to more future updates! Subscribe and upvote if you enjoyed reading this and please leave comments below to tell me what you think about this, any suggestions and about what can be improved on!

I'm now a coauthor of a new fic featuring Sehun and Luhan with an OC. Please do check it out if interested:) >>here<<