Memories

My Peter Pan

‘Ching!’

The sound of the key dropping on the floor got my attention. I was packing away boxes for my new house when this key had cut open a hole at the bottom of my box. I put down the boxes to pick the key up from the floor. It was just an old key for some sort of diary. I smiled and slipped it into the front right pocket of my jeans and continued with the boxes.

 

I rested from the packing at around 2 in the afternoon and finally sat down with a nice glass of lemonade. The fizz tickled my tongue and helped me relax my thoughts. “Ah~” it was so refreshing to drink something cold after hours of packing. My forehead was covered with beads of sweat and my arms were tired. I changed my position to let my legs straight out in front of me when I felt the pain of the key from earlier stab my right thigh. I pulled it out and took a long look at it.

I looked for the diary in the storage room that was disconnected to the house where all of my memorable things were. There, I found the old, leather diary.

I walked back into the house and walked over to the kitchen bench where the old leather diary was waiting for me. I opened the lock with the key and opened the cover to reveal the first page. On it was a photo of me in middle high school. I was about 15 and behind me was a row of six tall good-looking boys. Their names were Suho, Kai, Chanyeol (Channie), Sehun, Kyung-soo (D.O) and of course, Baekhyun. The photo was taken on the last day of school when we had graduated from middle high school…

***

 I was standing under the large tree that shaded a large area of the ground. I saw myself walking around alone during lunch time.

“Jieun ah! Kai ran up to me and grabbed my wrist as he pulled me towards the others. They were in a line for some reason. Kai let go of my wrist when I was standing in front of the middle of the group. I stood there confused for a while until I saw the person with a camera in front of us.

“Pose Jieun.” heard Baekhyun say as he smiled at me.

We all looked at the camera and posed. “1-2-3!” The photo was immediately spat out by the camera and the camera man caught it in mid air. We ran over to the man and he handed it over to us. I took it by the corner to let all the ink finish up on the picture. When it was finished, I looked at it and Suho, Kai, Channie, Sehun, D.O and, Baekhyun all crowded around me to take a look at the photo. “You came out so bad Baekhyun.” Baekhyun said to himself.

“You always do.” D.O added kiddingly.

“This won’t do.” Baekhyun said. “I’m afraid you’re going to have to have it Jieun.”

I looked up at him and he smiled his warm smile. “Really?” and looked around at everyone else.

“Of course, but remember that’s birthday our present to you Jieun. You can’t expect anything else okay?” Channie replied.

“Are you sure? We can print it off.” I suggested.

“No.” Baekhyun replied. “This is a one-of-a-kind item. There’s only one of these in the whole world.” I jumped onto him and wrapped my arms tightly around his neck and thanked him. “Whoa! Careful about the photo! I told you, there’s only one so it’s irreplaceable.” He smiled as he moved away from the embrace.

“Thank you.” I was getting teary so I looked down to the floor.

“Whoa! Jieun! Don’t cry about this. We’ll get you more stuff. We were just joking.” Sehun said.

“That’s right. Yebbeunie don’t cry!” Suho added. I hugged all of them at once and thanked them again and told them that I didn’t need anything else. That was when I realised that Kai wasn’t there anymore. He was behind me holding out a white bear doll. It was from all of them and Kai handed over the bear to me. I hugged it and dug my face into it. I then realised that the middle of the bear was hard so I opened the zip at the back to find a Peter Pan book in it.

“You like Peter Pan a lot right? The boy who never grows up. ” Baekhyun said.

It was the best birthday I had ever had, but there was that one phone call that ended it.

“Jieun- shi?” Someone on the other end asked.

“Yes? Isn’t this my mother’s phone?”

“Oh are you the daughter of Mr and Mrs Song?” he asked.

“Yes… Why do you have my mother’s phone?” I asked.

“…” There was no answer.

“Hello? Excuse me. Where are my parents?” I suddenly got scared.

“You should come to the hospital.”

I ran for my life to keep up with my past who caught a taxi in front of my school and took off as soon as I got in- Baekhyun shortly behind me in another taxi.

I got off at the hospital and ran into the emergency centre. I forgot to pay the driver who was madly shouting at me. Baekhyun payed his driver and mine as he followed me into the emergency centre where both my parents were in hospital beds and had no energy. They turned their heads over to me when I came in and they smiled at me. “It’s our Jieunie” my mother said. My dad coughed and choked so the doctors took him away into the operation room. I walked over to my mother and kneeled next to her bed.

“Please don’t die! I can’t do anything yet. I’m only 15 today!” I cried onto my mother’s hand and she gripped my hand harder.

“Jieun ah. Even if mum and dad don’t make it today, I want you to know that there is a Swiss bank account under your name. The account has twenty-million US dollars. Use it to go to university and do what you want. I need you to know, that we loved you very much.” She gasped for air even with the mask on.

“Mom…” I panicked.

‘Beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep~’

My mother’s hand loosened and she dropped a key into my hand- The sound of the machine shut me up. I was just on the floor, holding onto my mother’s hand with tears running down my face. “AHHHHHHHHHHHH!” I screamed. “MOM! DON’T LEAVE ME!” the nurses came and took me away from my mother’s body and they moved her body to another room. “NO! NO! NO!!!” Even Baekhyun came and held me tightly in his arms to stop me. I resisted until I didn’t even have the energy to cry anymore. I held onto the key as if my life depended on it and Baekhyun carried me out of the hospital and piggy-backed me all the way to my house. By the time we got there, I was already sleeping on his back…