Thanks, Mango Tree

Hacienda Hwang

 

Taeyeon stretched out in bed, rubbed her eyes and yawned.

It’s the first day of mango season.

The sunlight radiated through the windows and the rays peeked into the curtains.

She braced herself for another day of stressful harvest. This time for mangoes, she thought.

She checked herself in the wooden mirror and saw a rather different outlook. She wondered and her thoughts suddenly went to her. She remembered being totally enthralled last night. She had a hard time sleeping the night before because she just couldn’t erase the seemingly endlessly looping image of those crescent eyes, long, wavy dark hair, captivating smile and flaunting curves.

She huffed and shook her head, still looking at herself in the mirror.

No, it can’t be. She’s out my league. She’s heaven and I’m… a mud?  

She clutched her chest, closed her eyes and opened it again.

I shall go out and climb some mango trees to busy myself. Yes, that’s a great idea.

She brushed her hair, fixed her white dress, took her basket and went out of her small hut.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

She was walking by the fields when the mango tree she was going to seemed to be occupied by a figure that had already climbed at the far top of it. She rushed in her steps and proceeded to adjust her eyes to the sunlight. She wasn’t sure who that is but she had a feeling the figure is somewhat familiar.

She gulped when she’s nearing because the long, wavy hair seemed recognizable. Strangely familiar.

Wait a minute. Don’t tell me…she is..

The girl whose back was against her didn’t quite notice her. She was on top and was about to tiptoe on a semi-thick branch to pick a ripened mango.

She found her struggling and Taeyeon become worried and unconsciously cleared .

What happened next came in swift motion because the girl seemed to be perturbed by the sudden noise and tumbled forward.

Taeyeon’s reflex acted and she swiftly came to the part where the girl should fall.

She made it to spot but unluckily, the force of the fall and the weight of the unknown girl made them both topple to the ground causing the other girl to be face-to-face and on top of Taeyeon.

She grimaced due to her back ache but immediately opened her eyes to check if the other girl’s alright.

She held her breath the moment she saw the girl she’s constantly thinking of, the girl who has infatuated her. The girl who has made her felt thousand butterflies in her stomach all at once.

It’s no other than Stephanie. Tiffany Hwang.

Silence.

Their faces were too close. She didn’t know how long they’ve been staring at each other’s eyes.

She secretly wished that they could stay like this forever.

What am I thinking? Taeyeon, get a grip.

Luckily, Tiffany was the first one to break away from the staring battle and that awkward position they were in and stood up. She dusted off her dress and fixed her hair.

She struggled to stand up and did the same thing.

“I am so sorry.” The girl bowed her head.

“N-no, it’s my fault. I-i shouldn’t have s-surprised you like that. I’m s-so sorry.” She mentally slapped herself for stuttering.

Maybe it’s the effect of the fall or the Tiffany effect? Or both?

Her lips twitched at her thoughts. She looked down after realizing it.

“Um, are you okay?”

She looked up at her concerned expression and immediately looked away.

How could someone be this so breathtakingly attractive? I might lose control.

She meekly nodded. She was afraid to stammer at her own words again.

“You were at the party last night, right? I guess you already know me, right?” Her eyes widened for a second and that caused her to direct her sight towards her.

She did remember me. Of all people.

She nodded slowly and she quite grimaced again because of the sharp pain from her back.

Tiffany seemed to notice it so she walked few steps towards her and held her arm. She froze, already ignoring the pain on her back.

“Hey, let’s go to Ms. Decan, she’ll get you treated. You saved me so it’s the least I could do.”

“N-no, I’m fine Miss Hwang. I have to pick out some mangoes for the quota today.” She bowed to her.

“Oh, so let me at least massage your back.” Tiffany didn’t wait for any permission and proceeded to massage her back.

Taeyeon immediately flinched at the touch and scooted away from her.

“I’m sorry, Miss Hwang. I think they’re already looking for you. You should go now.” She noticed the hurt in the girl’s eyes but she couldn’t help herself. She just couldn’t bring herself to be so close to her.

She didn’t want to sound aloof but she just can’t.

They suddenly heard shouts from the other side.

“Uhm yeah, I think they’re looking for me. What’s your name by the way?”

“K-kim Taeyeon.”

“Nice to meet you. Anyway, I just happen to stroll around the farm then I got hungry so I tried to climb a tree and get myself my favorite fruit. Please don’t tell Ms. Decan, huh? She’ll get mad at me for wandering here alone.”

“Yeah, don’t worry Miss Hwang. I won’t tell anybody. Just be careful next time. And I’m still sorry.”

The taller girl smiled despite the earlier awkwardness and she just found herself smiling too, albeit sparingly.

They heard the shout that seemed to be Ms. Decan’s voice looking out for Tiffany.

“Oops, she’s still on it. Well, I don’t want to cause you anymore inconvenience. Hope to see you around. Bye.” The girl showed her bright smile, waved and left.

Taeyeon collapsed to the ground and took a sharp intake of breath.

She repeatedly hit her chest hoping to make her heart function normally again.

Tiffany Hwang, you are never an inconvenience to me.

Her mind thought out loud.

Thanks, Mango Tree.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hi there! It's my first time to write an on-going fanfiction. Thank you for lending your time. Sorry for the short updates. I'm still adjusting and somehow, I hope I could keep up with the pacing. Please do comment so I'll get more motivation. I'm planning to include YulSic and other RF pairings too. Maybe in the latter chapters.