Dog Boy

All Things Bright and Beautiful

Angels

"I thought I saw an unfamiliar shadow,
Among the ones I so clearly know."

 

Through the tinted windows, Byunghun watched his schoolmates, and possibly a few of his classmates exiting the convenience store. He didn't recognize most of their faces, but the uniform said it all. On cue, the large beige coloured building came into view, a building that Byunghun particularly hated. He dreaded the place more than his own house, which really meant something.

Unlike most students, Byunghun loved school. He loved meeting new people and experiencing the 'outside' life. Staying at home 24/7 felt like a mouse trapped in a cage, the only difference was that they needed him alive, or they'd have to relocate to avoid the paparazzi. In school, he wasn't sheltered; there weren't any bodyguards in the area to analyze and report his every movement. He still had to behave since they were patrolling the surrounding school zones, but refinement had always been a part of his childhood, so he never acted rashly.

During his stay in America, Byunghun studied in a private school. His mother was afraid that the American culture would influence him and taint their reputation. When they returned to Korea, Byunghun had his hopes up high on going to a public school. Since there weren't any 'flies' or 'ghettos' in Korea, attending a normal public school in their neighbourhood would be fine, right?

Wrong.

To say that Byunghun was shocked when he heard that his mother enrolled him in some pricey overrated prestigious private school was an understatement. He was beyond furious! He sulked for days after hearing the news, but as usual, the thought of confronting his parents never occured to him. Not even once. His dream of returning to those carefree kindergarten times was shattered into a thousand pieces. 

Like most students, Byunghun now hates school. He became a part of the prestigious school at the start of the year, when term 1 started, but yet he avoided having conversations with anybody. All of them, students and teachers alike, knew that he was their escape to a better life. There were many attempts to get on his good side; he'd ignored most of it, but took advantage of some chances when he really needed the help. He'd rather not risk taking chances and ending up in a mudpool, so he followed his brother's advice tentatively. 

The chauffeur drove the phantom into the school's driveway - a pretense that was only granted to the Lee family since having Byunghun as a student in their school meant more publicity to the higher-ups - and parked directly in front of the main entrance. 

"Enjoy your day, sir." The driver said as he courteously opened the backseat door. 

Byunghun remained seated, refusing to leave the car. School felt more lonesome compared to the house these days. He knew everyone, but yet at the same time, he didn't. He wanted to speak, but a mere word caused too much of a hassle. He remembered the time when he bumped into this random girl from a grade above. Like the gentleman he was, he offered her a hand. This itself caused such drama and gossip among the students. Rumours of him and the girl going out started spreading. Soon enough, his father heard of it, and that didn't turn out very well for anyone who was involved in the case. The girl didn't dare look Byunghun in the eye anymore. Whenever they passed by in the hallways, she would be looking everywhere except at him. 

How did a simple, polite gesture cause all this drama? 

He was determined, then, that for the sake of his fellow schoolmates and himself, it was best that he stayed away and avoided them. Albeit his endeavor did not work out very well, much to his dismay. It takes two hands to clap; many still dared approach him, those 'filthy leeches' he knew too well kept trying to befriend him, which annoyed him greatly. Byunghun ignored them all. If they were looking for trouble, it was bound to find them someday. 

"Is there a problem, sir?" The chauffeur asked after some time. 

"I told you to stop calling me that." Byunghun lied. 

"I'm well aware of your command, sir, but-" Byunghun shot him a glare to silence the taller man. It was a must to act sternly if he wanted the stubborn driver to obey. 

"Very well, Byunghun." He shook his head. The boy was such a pleasure to serve compared to the other members of the Lee family. "I'll see you at 3."

Byunghun finally jumped off the luxurious ride. He looked back to flash his driver an apologetic smile, getting a casual wave in return. The chauffeur understood; he watched Byunghun walk through every stage of life, and was fairly proud of the young boy. He grew up well.

Class was as boring as usual. He already knew what the teacher was blabbering about. When you have too much time to yourself at home, and parents who expect you to take over their multi millionaire position in the company they owned as soon as they retire, excelling in studies was very important. His parents didn't even have to force him to read a book - not that they even have the time to do so - because the pressure itself worked its way to Byunghun's mindset. He knew he was no fun, but fun was never an option. 

He had a clear view of the Japanese garden below from his seat by the window. The soft grass looked really appealing that day, and Byunghun wondered if he should have lunch there instead of rotting in class. There was only 5 minutes left to lunch, but people already started pouring out of their classes - an early dismissal, he supposed.

It was then that a boy he didn't know caught his attention. It was wrong. Byunghun knew everyone. He knew that they were all dirty scums who were obsessed with money. He knew that they would never spare a second glance at an old man in need. He knew that nothing good came out of these spoilt brats. He knew that everyone in this school were arrogant asses who minded only their business, and nothing more. They were stone hearted. They were fake. All of them were merely a community of hatred, fresh from hell. Byunghun wanted nothing to do with them.

However, this boy was different. Byunghun wanted to meet him, to talk to him, to cry out his worries and concerns to this stranger. He wanted everything to do with him. Byunghun didn't know this boy; the boy wasn't money-minded, he wasn't an air head, he wasn't a selfish being, he wasn't spoilt, he wasn't evil. He was an angel from heaven.

Plus, he owned a Yorkshire Terrier. 

Byunghun had seen the boy, but he didn't know him. He didn't know his name. He didn't know his background. He didn't know his favourite food. He didn't know what he does on the weekend. He didn't know what his parents' occupation were. Heck! Byunghun didn't even know the boy's associated company!

Byunghun didn't know, and that intimidated him. The unknown was fearful, a place he refused to go. The peaceful being on ground floor was an unknown object, and it scared the daylights out of Byunghun. This feeling would definitely haunt him the whole day long if he doesn't do anything to dispose of the unknown object. 

So he did; he named the unknown object 'Dog Boy'.