Lee Chanhee

All Things Bright and Beautiful

Angels

"I saw a flicker in the fake fireplace,
Blinked again but there was nothing to see
."

 

A week had passed since Byunghun made his great discovery. He felt proud of himself; all that was left was to talk to the young lad, if he could find him, that is. Byunghun had been waiting. He told himself that he wouldn't miss any opportunity that arises. Conversing with the Dog Boy was his top priority. He used to hide his hands in the depths of his pocket and listen to Owl City as he strolled through the school building. These days, he stretches his neck as far out as possible trying to get a glimpse of the boy, music long forgotten. He had his hands ready too, in case the boy was of reach. Getting his attention would be easier that way. 

This gave Byunghun reason to look forward to school. He travelled the school, exploring every nook and cranny, scanning over unusually quiet places that could hide the Dog Boy. His customary lifestyle proceedures underwent some major adjusting as well. Byunghun decided that until he found Dog Boy, he would take a temporary break from his study routine because he was already weary from school. He caught himself daydreaming of Dog Boy often while doodling what remains of his face left that he could recall. In a week's time, his art folder was b with portraits of Dog Boy. The sketches were quite detailed as well. If Byunghun were an artist, they could sell for at least a few grands per piece.

Apparently, Byunghun's attitude had a makeover, too. He didn't realize until his chaffeur had pointed it out. Byunghun woke up early to have breakfast; the first day it happened, the maids were running around frantically, panicking because they didn't need to prepare breakfast for anyone in the house previously, and so there wasn't a need to have a meal prepared early in the morning. Byunghun conversed with the employees who worked in his house; when he approached them the first time, they were sweating bullets, afraid that they had done something wrong that could get them fired. 

The least obvious change was the relentless tapping and sighing on the way to school. To anyone, it would've seemed insignificant, but to Mr. Chaffeur, it was a big improvement. Those were all signs of impatience; Byunghun opening his own door and flying out the carseat as soon as they stopped only confirmed his suspicions. The driver didn't know if it was healthy bahaviour - the change was too drastic - but was proud of Byunghun nonetheless. 

Byunghun didn't care about what the others had to say about him, finding Dog Boy was far too important to be casted aside. When he wasn't in school, the agitation bothered him greatly, since there was nothing he could do to shrug off the feeling. He needed something, anything, that could divert his attention even if it was just a mere second. Dog Boy took up a great deal of his energy physically and emotionally. There were times when he felt that yielding to this unspoken game of hide-and-seek was the only option left. During those times, he would slump into deep thought, only to be motivated by Mr. Chaffeur's knowing guidance. Byunghun didn't tell anyone of his objectives, but the driver simply knew how to cheer him up. 

Byunghun sat in his allocated seat, making an effort to stay awake through the remaining 30 minutes of History. He gave up listening to the teacher minutes ago; he spent more effort on today's search, thinking that he could cover more ground within forty minutes by running. History was classified as Byunghun's weakpoint. He spent half his life uncovering America's past, so he didn't have a clue about Korea's history. Usually, Byunghun would've googled it up and read through it, but when it came to History, hearing it from someone else was more fun, which made him settle for paying more attention during History classes. 

The light drizzle outside wasn't helping him stay awake.The slightly cool weather felt nice against his sweaty skin. Byunghun cursed the hypnotic rhythm and soft crooning emitted from the raindrops. He assured himself that this behaviour was acceptable. Just by looking at his face, Byunghun could tell that even Dog Boy dreaded walking in the rain, since he shielded himself from the icy drops with his purple flimsy folder. 

A short pause. Byunghun finally realized. 

Dog Boy!

Without a second thought, Byunghun sprang up and vacated the occupied classroom. He would deal with the teacher later. After all, they wouldn't want to loose their most precious asset. Adrenaline coursed through his veins; he could feel it, his muscles pushing past its limits and aching altogether. He strode faster, eager to meet the young lad. His mind was blank, anxious if he would miss the boy by a second. Days of familiarizing himself with the school grounds came in handy. He effortlessly ghosted past the school hallways, avoiding any obstacles that obstructed his way. He hastely mumbled a few sorrys, and excuse mes as he paced, but didn't stop. He could see the light; the Japanese garden came into view, that very place he found his angel from heaven. 

There, he stood, in the middle of the garden, with shrubs and pretty flowers of all kinds highlighting his presence. 

Byunghun squeezed his eyes shut, praying that it wasn't just a dream. He pinched the flesh on his arm, waiting for the fantasy to disappear before him, he'd rather wake up before the best part happened. He peeked through an eye; nothing budged. Most importantly, Dog Boy was still upright in the garden. Byunghun couldn't believe it. He was breathing the same air as Dog Boy, standing on soil he was sure the young lad had stepped on. It was the perfect opportunity to have a casual conversation. 

He took one step at a time, carefully placing one foot before the other so that he wouldn't make a fool out of himself. First impressions were crucial. The giddy feeling in his heart urged him to bounce over and question him, skipping past the formal introductions and straight into being best friends forever. With whatever consciousness he had left, he slowly made his way to the empty space.

Dog Boy hadn't noticed his presence. It was either that, or he got freaked out before, and was trying to avoid Byunghun's gaze. Byunghun reached out and gently tapped him on the shoulder. He felt an electric current pulse through his system. It felt odd, but not unpleasant. Byunghun wondered if that was fate sewing their souls together.

Immediately, Dog Boy whipped his head in Byunghun's direction. His dark brown orbs were so filled with warmth, Byunghun almost cried upon setting sight on those beautiful eyes. Dog Boy lowered his head, and shyly peeked at Byunghun through those thick lashes. Seeing as to how the young lad stood in the garden way longer than Byunghun did, his hair was drenched, they glued together and formed odd shaped seaweeds. Such innocence stirred up a weird feeling in Byunghun's guts. He longed to caress the boy's snow like skin, embrace the boy in a loving hug, ruffle his brown locks. His heart captured the moment, saving it for later. He would sketch the image in every possible angle, this scene itself would take up a whole diary. 

"May I help you?" 

Byunghun grinned sheepishly. The sound of his voice was like music to his ears. Dog Boy's soothing voice rang in his eardrums, sending tingling sensations to his chest. It was Byunghun's first time hearing his angelic voice. He was melting on the spot. 

"Do you wanna come to my place?" 

The boy jerked, clearly discomforted. His eyes were now as wide as saucers, and Byunghun mentally slapped himself for being an idiot. He'd dreamnt of Dog Boy since the day he set eyes upon him, but never once did he think about what they would actually converse about. Suddenly feeling abashed, he shrunk and scratched the back of his head. 

"I'm sorry, but I've got plans for this afternoon. Maybe some other time?" Byunghun nodded furiously. He ended up making a fool out of himself anyways. "If you may, I have some rather important business to take care of right now. So please excuse me."

Dog Boy moved aside. There was a girl, most probably the same age, sitting on the bench, equally as drenched. Byunghun didn't realize her presence before, not even when he was looking out the window. Had she been there the whole time long?

She stood up, and walked off. Dog Boy started after her. Byunghun recognized her. She was another one of those girls that he knew. Why was Dog Boy hanging around someone with the likes of her? The mere thought infuriated Byunghun. He balled his fist, holding back his anger. 

Before he could leave, Byunghun held him back by the wrist. Dog Boy didn't struggle, but he had a confused look on his face. 

"Your name, please." 

The boy smiled. "I'm Chanhee. Lee Chanhee." He placed a warm hand on Byunghun's. "You're Lee Byunghun, right? I've heard a lot about you."

Byunghun released his hold. Heard a lot about him? What had he heard? Rumours? Gossips? Lies? He frowned. He didn't exactly have a very good reputation in school. If Chanhee got his resources from the wrong messenger... That was it. Byunghun didn't want to make friends with the beautiful young lad anymore. There wasn't a need to leave a good impression if he already had a horrible Byunghun in his mind. 

Chanhee scrutinized Byunghun's reaction and gave it some thought. 

"Same place, after school, tomorrow. Please show up!" Chanhee laughed lightheartedly. "See ya, Byunghun!"

And he was gone. 

Byunghun sat where the girl previously sat, the heat from before not present. He stared off into the far distance, sorting out his mind and feelings. 

10 minutes passed.

Byunghun stood up, grinned, and left to go get his belongings from the classroom. 

 

If anything, one thing's for sure:

Dog Boy  Lee Chanhee.