Part I

Flashing Lights

Strong lights shined brightly onto the stage.

The shouts and cheers of people was muted.

The other people around her on stage disappeared.

It was just Hyosung and the music. Her body responded with fluid movements to the rhythm of the song. It was an art form, of Hyosung expressing herself. As the music came to an end Hyosung felt a rush of adrenaline as she made her ending pose. The cheers of the audience grew louder. Until she can clearly make out their chant. “Ooyoo bitkal G.na!” Like a mantra. The lights dimmed and Hyosung quickly made her way off the stage with the others. Being on stage always made her forget that she was just a mere back up dancer.

“Great job, G.na!” the directors and managers said to the flushed star standing next to Hyosung. Of course, the back dancers were always overlooked. They were never congratulated. Nope, never acknowledged. Hyosung and her colleagues just went back to their shared little room to rest up. She gulped down a whole bottle of water. It's been a year since Hyosung started this dancing gig. A year of dealing with stuck up idols and being the shadows in the back of the performance. But then again, Hyosung couldn’t really complain. Though most of the girls were higher-than-thou princesses and most of the guys were jerks, Hyosung loved the stage too much. There was such an attraction, such an allure. Something so amazing about that stage.

Well, it’s only been a couple weeks since she moved under Cube. So far, it’s been okay. Her first performance was for G.na, who was kind of a stuck-up. But, Hyosung was used to that treatment.

Hyosung grabbed her stuff and left the music station to go home. Unlike the idols, she didn’t have any obligation to stay or go to more things than necessary. She was looking forward to going home and eating some delicious food and taking a nice and warm bath.

Hyosung arrived at her small, tiny apartment and took a hot bath. Living alone wasn’t bad. In fact, she liked it. She was around too many people for her work anyway. She let out a nice sigh as she relaxed in the tub. Okay, so it wasn’t like she was a loner or anything. Jeon Hyosung did have friends, mind you. But living in this half-idol world was a bit harder to handle. Whatever. She dunked her head straight in the tub. Tomorrow was just another day.

--

Hyosung arrived at the Cube agency bright and early in the morning. She was supposed to be working on a new project while simultaneously going on show with G.na. Hyosung grumbled as she made her way to the practice room and found no one in there. Hyosung groaned. Really? Come on now. She thought idols were always punctual. She tossed her bag on the ground and pulled her hood over her head. Hyosung leaned against the mirror and rested her eyes. Hyosung was peacefully resting in the dark room when the lights suddenly flickered on. She frowned before opening her eyes and screaming. A guy’s face was much too close to her’s. Reflexively, Hyosung pushed the guy away, who lost his balance and fell.

“Aiyaaaa” He groaned while touching his , “There was no need to push.”

Hyosung just glared at him, “You scared me!”

The guy just laughed sheepishly. “Sorry, I was just wondering who you were, sleeping alone here.”

“I’m waiting for the stupid choreographer and idol that I’m supposed to be working it. But they're late.” Hyosung sighed as she shook her head.

“Oh, well then,” the guy said, “One of them is here at least! I’m Kikwang of Beast. But you probably already know me.” He stuck out his hand. Hyosung reluctantly shook it.

“I’m Hyosung. And I know beast, but not too well. So your face doesn’t look too familiar to me.”

Kikwang looked at her horrified. “You don’t know the Kikwang? All of this good stuff?” He made a movement with his hand to signify his body.

Hyosung laughed. This guy was ridiculous. “Sorry. But hey, I know you now. That’s one out of… um, how many of you guys are there?”

Kikwang opened his mouth in shock. “You don’t even… there’s six of us. SIX. How are you even a worker here? You don’t even know the idols in this company, do you?”

Hyosung shrugged. “Beast and G.na? It's been two weeks since I came here, cut me some slack.”

Kikwang tsk tsked at her. “well, as long as you know me, then you’re good.”

Hyosung laughed. She couldn’t believe this guy. He was definitely a new kind of character amongst the many idols Hyosung had met. 

“Well, if your beast has six people, where is everyone else? And where are the other dancers?”

Kikwang smiled widely and made some sort of victory pose. “This Kikwang is finally getting a solo debut.”

Hyosung nodded her head, “Ey, congrats. Must be legit if you got a solo in this competitive idol world.”

Kikwang enthusiastically nodded his head until he realized she kind of insulted him. “Hey… What do you mean kinda le-”

“Hello, hello! Sorry I’m late,” said the man who briskly walked into the room. “I’m the choreographer for this dance. I had a lot of fun with this piece. Let’s just say it’s a lot more seductive and sultry. I believe the concept we are going with is a vampire, right Kikwang?”

Said idol just nodded.

“Great. This is gonna be a hit! Alright, any questions before we start?”

“When is his comeback?” Hyosung asked, “I’m still in the middle of performing with G.na, so I was confused when they made me come here today.”

“His comeback is in three weeks. But you should be used to doing double duty in these performances. Now, no more questions? Good, let’s start!”

--

Hyosung huffed as she sat down and gulped down the water. This choreographer was intense. He made them practice for 4 hours non-stop. Finally he gave them an hour lunch break before going back to the routine. Kikwang sat next to her and drank his water as well.

“You want to go eat?” Kikwang asked, “You must be starved after all that practicing. As your leading man in the dance, I will buy for you.”

Hyosung scoffed. “Technically, I’m just your background girl. No leading man is needed for me. And I think I’ll just go eat on my own.”

Hyosung got up to leave and Kikwang followed suit, “Wait, why? Are you that much stumbled by my awesome looks? Or because you don’t want people to see you with this amazing idol?”

Hyosung shook her head. “I don’t really trust your kind. I prefer the mean and aloof idols, because they seem more real. Therefore, I don’t trust you and don’t want to eat with you. Simple.”

“Oh, I’m so hurt,” Kikwang said, hand over his heart, “But no really. Think of this as my way of saying please take good care of me. We will be promoting this together. Might as well make good vibes and whatnot, yeah?”

“Fine whatever. I like my meat, so don’t regret buying.”

They walked out together to a nearby gogi house and settled down to eat.

“Can you tell that I am me?” Kikwang asked Hyosung in a whisper while tucking the hat over his head and placing the huge spectacles on his nose.

“I think you’re fine.” Hyosung said as the lady came up to take their orders.

“I’d like two plates of kalbi and an order of kimchi jun on the side please!” Hyosung said. Kikwang gasped, “You’re gonna eat all that?”

“What. I told you not to buy for me. But you wouldn’t listen.”

Kikwang just shook his head while ordering his plate of chicken. As their food came, Hyosung devoured the meat while Kikwang sadly ate his chicken.

“Slow down,” Kikwang said, “Wow. You make it look so good when you eat.”

Hyosung nodded, “Because it is good. You want some?”

Kikwang shook his head. “I can’t. I’m on a strict diet. Comeback season diet.”

“Aw, you poor thing. I’ll eat enough meat for you too.” Hyosung smiled as she ate.

“So, are you trying to be an idol, too or something?” Kikwang asked.

Hyosung paused and grimaced before she shook her head no. “Nope. I don’t think I ever want to live that kind of life.”

“What do you mean?”

Hyosung sighed as she set down her chopsticks. “It just seems so… I don’t know how to say this without being offensive, but fake. Not to mention, I don’t want to turn into a rude prat.”

“It’s fun” Kikwang said, “Being known and having people like you. The joy when all the hard work you put in shows results. And not everyone become rude prats. Take me for example.” Hyosung just laughed and continued to eat her food.

“So why are you a back dancer then?” Kikwang asked. Hyosung shrugged. “I like dancing. I love dancing. Being on that stage is thrilling.”

“Then why not join a dance group. Go touring and be known for dancing?”

Hyosung made a small smile. “No more questions.”

Kikwang shrugged while trying to scavenge as much of the chicken scraps he can. “You never know until you try.”

“Well,” Hyosung said, “I can’t really do anything before you finish your promotions, now can I?”

Kikwang nodded in agreement, “Please don’t leave me hanging.”

“We should get going. Or Mr. Sassypants will get mad.” Hyosung said. Kikwang laughed as he paid the bill. “Is that his name now?”

Hyosung cheerfully nodded and the two scurried back to the practice room.

--

They finally learned the whole routine. It wasn’t too bad or anything, but something was missing, according to Mr. Sass.

“We probably have to clean our movements and stuff, sir” Hyosung said.

“No, no, no.” the man said, “There’s no… umpf to the dance. The song is about alluring and seducing, but the dance is missing it. Tut tut, let me see the whole thing again.”

Hyosung rolled her eyes in her imagination (if she really did it, Mr. Sasspants would never let her hear the end of it). The dance was pretty sultry, if you asked her. It was a lot of touching, a lot of contact, not that wasn’t used to it or anything. But in Hyosung’s very humble opinion, the piece seemed alluring enough. The main chorus had moves that brought their faces much too close for Hyosung’s comfort. This man was ratchet.

“Hmft. Well we shall see. You guys have a couple days to perfect this before we shoot for the music video. You need to make me believe that you are being seduced Hyosung. Like you’re head over heels with him. And Kikwang… you need to make me believe that you are the seducer who is in control. Well. I guess for now, just memorize the moves. By tomorrow would be nice. We can start fixing things and such from there. And please. Practice your seductive looks. Kikwang, I thought you would be used to it by now!”

“Sorry” he mumbled.

“Alright, see you all tomorrow. Bright and early!”

Hyosung and Kikwang both let out a sigh as the choreographer left.

“He’s pretty intense.” Hyosung said, drinking some water.

“yeah, well. He’s good at what he does.” Kikwang said, grabbing his stuff, “Where are you heading off to?”

Hyosung grabbed her stuff while answering, “Music bank. I have another performance with the lovely G.na”

“Oh, tell nuna I said hi!” Kikwang said as they both started leaving.

“I don’t really talk to her.” Hyosung said, “But I really gotta bounce now. See ya!”

“Wait, aren’t you gonna ask me what I’m gonna do?”

Hyosung rolled her eyes and turned around. “Yes, Kikwang, please tell me what you’re gonna do.”

“I’m getting my comeback look done! I get to choose the hairstyle at least by myself so-”

“Great, Kikwang. I’m so excited for you. But really, I’m leaving now. Good bye!”

And so, Hyosung left the blubbering Kikwang alone in the hall and left to the music station.

--

Hyosung relaxed into the nice, bubbly and warm bath. Another long day was finished. Tonight’s performance didn’t go as well as yesterday’s. One of the newer dancers messed up one portion and G.na wouldn’t let it go. They all were berated for it and stayed behind extra hours to practice the song. It’s been two weeks of promoting that song, they didn’t need to practice it any more. It was kind of ridiculous, but Hyosung couldn’t really say anything.

She closed her eyes and a friendly face popped up in her head. Ah, yes, Kikwang. Such an interesting person he was. A little too nice and friendly. Especially for an idol. Kikwang reminded her too much of him. It was almost uncanny. Hyosung just took a deep breath and submerged under the water.

--

Once again, Hyosung was the first one to arrive at the practice room.

“Awesome,” she mumbled while dropping her backpack in the corner. Instead of resting like last time she opted to do some stretching instead. Even after stretching for a couple minutes, no one came. Hyosung sighed and went up to the stereo. Well, she might as well have some fun. She turned it on and some random hip hop song came on. She listened to the beat of it and let her body follow the music. Hyosung wasn’t even thinking anymore, she was just feeling the music. It was just her and the beat, the rhythm. The song came to an end and Hyosung paused, feeling the adrenaline rush through her body.

She then heard a clap coming through the door. Hyosung looked over and saw Kikwang standing there with a smirk on his face. Well, he was a little different than the Kikwang she met yesterday since he changed his hair to a pretty bright red color. Hyosung flushed as he walked over, still clapping. “Wow, that was some awesome freestyling!”

Hyosung just shrugged, trying to play it cool. She just grabbed her water to drink it.

“You can at least say thank you to the compliment.” Kikwang said.

“Thanks, Kikwang.” Hyosung said, sitting down to lean against the wall.

Kikwang sat down next to her and smiled, “No, but really! Your movements are sharp and clean! I’m proud to say that you’re my dance partner!”

Hyosung blinked as she felt a blush rise to her cheeks and her heart beating faster. Kikwang was good-looking, yes. But his smile made him extra charming. It’s like the light just wants to shine that smile. Hyosung quickly looked away and got up.

“Well, since you’re here, we might as well practice before Mr. Sasspants comes.” Hyosung said. Kikwang happily agreed and turned the music on.

They clumsily went through the moves, mistakes mostly made on Kikwang’s part.

“Come on, do you remember anything from yesterday?” Hyosung asked jokingly.

“Hey, there’s a lot of things I have to do.” Kikwang said, trying to defend himself.

Thus, Hyosung went step by step re-teaching Kikwang the main moves they learned. Hyosung was used to the touching and brushing while dancing, so she was good at remaining very professional. However, Hyosung couldn’t help but flush a bit today.

“Like this?” Kikwang asked, redoing the move she just taught. Hyosung shook her head, and showed him the move once more. Kikwang tried mimicking again.

“No, you’re hand movement is wrong,” Hyosung said. She grabbed his hand and positioned him in the right way. “Like this” she said, as she guided his movements.

“Like that! Great, now try it by yourself.” Kikwang did the move once more, this time successfully. Hyosung dramatically clapped, “Well done, my young seedling.”

Kikwang laughed while shoving Hyosung playfully, “I wasn’t that bad.”

Mr. Sassypants then walked in.

“Alright, Kikwang only has a couple hours to practice before going to shoot for the solo photos, so we need to speed this up. I’ll leave you guys to practice, so I’ll be back to check your progress and we can work from there.”

The pair nodded as the choreographer left.

“Alright let’s get started then.”

--

“No, no, no.” Mr. Sasspants said after watching Hyosung and Kikwang do their dance after much practice.

“I mean, excellent. You memorized your moves and whatnot, but it’s still not at the shape it needs to be. Where is the acting? Let me see some of that. The music video shooting is in two days, so Kikwang, give it your all, yes?”

Kikwang nodded. “Okay, let’s take it again from the top!”

The door suddenly opened and Kikwang’s manager poked his head in. “Kikwang needs to go to the shoot.”

The choreographer grunted a little bit. “Alright, this must be perfect tomorrow, Kikwang!!”

Kikwang nodded as Mr. Sasspants left. Kikwang and Hyosung grabbed their stuff and started to walk out of the studio.

“Hey,” Kikwang said, “You willing to help a brother out?”

Hyosung looked at him curiously, “What do you mean?”

He sighed, “This is my first time doing a solo ever since my very first time as a solo artist fluked.”

Hyosung’s eyes widened, “You were a solo artist?”

Kikwang nodded, “Those were dark days, but anyway. I just… I really want to show the fans and people my best. So, do you think you can practice with me? I know I have crazy schedules these days, so it won’t be at the nicest of hours, but maybe like tonight and tomorrow night? Please?”

He gave Hyosung such an intense and sincere look, she couldn’t say no, even though she didn’t really want to. “Fine.”

Kikwang did a cute little fist pump jump and then hugged the girl. “Thanks Hyosung, I really appreciate it!”

Hyosung, shocked from the affection showed, didn’t really say anything but nodded. He let go of her and smiled. “I think my schedule ends today around 10 PM. I know it’s pretty late, but meet here at 10?”

Hyosung nodded as they parted ways. “Have fun at your photo shoot!”

Kikwang smiled and winked, “Don’t worry, the camera loves me. See you at night!”

--

Hyosung frowned as she looked at the clock. It was 9:50 PM. After performing with G.na on M! Countdown, the dancers were all forced to stay behind and practice, again. No, no one messed up this time. In fact, it was G.na who had a little slip up and almost fell during the performance. However, she wanted to put out her frustrations on someone… who just so happened to be the newer dancer again.

“Stop ruining my performance, stupid girl! Okay!” G.na had told Sunhwa. She just silently nodded, repeating “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Hyosung was getting frustrated. “Hey, G.na. Sunhwa didn’t do anything wrong. Why are you trying to blame things on her?”

Sunhwa and G.na looked up to Hyosung in surprise.

“What did you say?” G.na asked.

Hyosung took in a deep breath. “Sunhwa’s mistake was from yesterday. And it was a small one anyway. Do we really need to be here practicing?”

G.na scoffed, “Oh, and who are you miss, to be talking back to me? Do you not know where you stand?”

Hyosung sighed, “Being an idol doesn’t give you the right to treat us like that. Let’s just work cordially together, yeah?”

“Work cordially together?” G.na said, while coming closer to Hyosung, “You think we’re equals?”

On her heels, G.na towered over Hyosung. They had a staring contest.

“I’m sorry!” Sunhwa squeaked from the back, clinging on to G.na’s arm, “I’m sorry, G.na I promise not to do it again!”

G.na just glared and shoved Sunhwa off her arm. “You watch out.” G.na said to Hyosung, “You all better watch out. Do it right. Your job is so easy.”

And with that G.na left the room. Hyosung sighed.

“Thank you, Hyosung Unni” Sunhwa said, shyly. Hyosung smiled, “I didn’t even do anything. Don’t let her talk to you like that.”

Sunhwa nodded with a smile on her face. Hyosung looked at the clock. Oh crap, it was already 10:15.

“I got to go, but I’ll see you tomorrow!” Hyosung grabbed her bag and ran outside to catch a cab back to the Cube building.

--

Hyosung breathed heavily as she walked into the practice room. 10:35 PM. She looked inside and found it empty. She sighed as she sat at her usual spot against the wall to catch her breath. Of course he would’ve left. Hyosung groaned, he probably hates her now. Not that it was a big deal to her or anything.

“Oh, you finally came.” Said a masculine voice.

Hyosung looked up and found Kikwang in his practice clothes, holding a plastic bag filled with what looked like energy drinks.

“I knew you’d come!” he said with a big smile. Kikwang took out one of the cans and handed it to Hyosung.

“Thanks.” She mumbled as she grabbed the drink, “Sorry I came late. There were some complications at the station again.”

“Honestly, woman,” Kikwang said jokingly, “People would think you’re the idol, not me. Sheesh!”

Hyosung laughed as she opened the can to drink.

“You look nice, by the way.” Kikwang said, causing Hyosung to choke on the drink. Kikwang laughed, “I guess you don’t take compliments very well.”

Hyosung looked down. Ah, she was still wearing her stage outfit from G.na’s performance.

“Ah, sorry. I didn’t have time to change after the performance.” Hyosung mumbled. Kikwang smiled, “Don’t apologize.”

Hyosung just gaped at him. Did he have to smile so often? It made her inside melt into a puddle of goo. She shook her head and got up.

“Well, we are here to practice, yes?”

Kikwang enthusiastically nodded. “Yes! I’m ready!”

Hyosung laughed and turned the music on.

--

Hyosung relaxed into the hot bath. She spent the past two days with Kikwang, almost non-stop. Okay, not really, because he had to do some album preparation stuff. But they spent a good half chunk of the night practicing for the dance. He did improve significantly and Hyosung was pretty proud of their progress. Mr. Sasspants also seemed to approve of their performance. Hyosung also spent a good chunk of her time teaching others the dance to be the background dancers for the music video. Which, by the way, they were filming tomorrow.

Hyosung was a little bit nervous. Even though she had done plenty of backdancing, she never was a center back dancer. At least it was with Kikwang. He had grown on her the past couple days. In fact, it’s weird for Hyosung to think that she had only met him three or four days ago.

Okay, so she won’t deny that he was good-looking. Kikwang was very blessed in the looks area. But he was so nice, too. And fun to be around. Hyosung shook her head from the thought and submerged underwater.

Ring ring.

Hyosung popped back up and picked up the call.

“Hello?”

Hyosung, have you looked at the news yet?”

“Jieun? Long time no talk! Hi to you too, friend.”

Haha, sorry hi, Hyosung! But girl, look at the news, you are going viral!

“What? What are you talking about? I’m taking a bath. I’ll call you back later.”

Yah! You’re on the news! Check on your laptop. That video from our days in J.tunes popped up!

“I’ll take a look and call you later. Right now, I’m trying to enjoy my hot bath.”

Hyosung hung up and tried relaxing again in the tub. Ah, dang it. Now the stupid girl made her curious. Oh yes, Jieun is her friend, although their relationship may seem dysfunctional. They were working together as backdancers at J.tunes when Jieun got scouted by TS and is now happily training there. What in the world was that girl talking about though?

Curious, Hyosung wrapped a towel around herself and opened up her laptop. She just went on the entertainment section of Korea News. Big Bang is having a comeback blah blah. Some girl group is going through a scandal blah blah blah… what the. G.na’s backdancer? Hyosung clicked on it and saw a picture of herself in her ending pose behind G.na.

She quickly read through the article. “G.na’s promotions for black & white have been a phenomenal success. With her promotion coming to an end, people are becoming more curious about this backdancer G.na had for her duration. Sources say that her name is Jeon Hyosung who once worked under J.tunes and now is working under Cube Entertainment. A video of her dancing to Beyonce started going viral on youtube and people are just curious to who this girl with such a powerful stage presence is. One netizen writes-”

Hyosung shut the laptop. Her heart was beating really fast. What the heck was this? She wasn't used to being recognized. Let alone, being even known while dancing. Hyosung looked up that old youtube video of her dancing and saw the millions of views and comments. What in the world…

Ring Ring.

“hello?”

You read it now?”

“Uh huh”

Dude, it’s so crazy, huh? You’re finally getting noticed for your talent!! This is so awesome.”

“It’s kind of weird…”

It’s exciting! Someone will totally sign you to their company now. Especially after all this popularity you suddenly received!”

“Mmm, not sure if I really want that but…”

But that’s your dream! Don’t tell me you already forgot the reason you even started back dancing!”

“I don’t know, Jieun. I kind of just give up now.”

What are you talking about?! Hyosung, you need a girl’s night out. When are you free?”

“Sorry Jieun, I’m busy with G.na’s promotions this week and Kikwang’s comeback stuff. But maybe next week.”

Sometimes I wonder if you’re the trainee, not me. But okay. Make time for me, bye!”

“Bye!”

Hyosung hung up and opened her laptop again. She scrolled along to read the comments.

Wow, how does she manage to make such sharp and fluid movements?!??!!

So talented!

Dayuuum, look at her body shape, so hot!

I looked at her the whole time!

My eyes were drawn to her the whole time!

Is she Cube’s trainee?! I hope she debuts soon!

Hyosung smiled while reading the comments. She was flushing, but smiling. She caught herself getting carried away and quickly shut the laptop while shaking her head. Time to snap out of it. This was just a temporary interest by people. But she couldn't deny that it felt kind of… good.

--

Hyosung looked at her attire in the mirror. Well, she had some short shorts on and tight crop top on. Her hair was sleeked and there was an intense amount of makeup on her face. It didn’t really look like her… but she did look sultry. The makeup artist actually talked to her today and remembered her name. Of course, he mentioned the video and how amazed he was and such. Even the fellow dancers gave her some sort of respect. Looking at her reflection once more, Hyosung laughed. This didn’t really feel like her, but she just shook her head as she got up, ready to film.

“Well hello my seductive mistress” Kikwang said as he gave an overdramatic bow. Hyosung laughed as Kikwang flashed her his signature smile. Hyosung took a double take. They say makeup does wonders for girls, but… man, he can pull off that eyeliner. And he was dressed so nicely in a grey suit with the sharp contrast to his red hair. Hyosung fought the rush of red to her cheeks and stuttered, “Hi Kikwang. I hope you haven’t forgotten everything we practiced.”

Kikwang laughed as he scratched his head, “Don’t worry! I haven’t!”

“Hey Kikwang, come look at the script!” the director yelled.

“I’ll be right back” Kikwang said as he left to talk to the man. Hyosung just sat back down, waiting for the filming to start when she heard heels clicking in her direction. She looked up and saw an angry G.na walking in her direction. Hyosung got up and opened to ask why she was here, when G.na slapped her. The sound reverberated throughout the set. Hyosung was completely shocked from the impact.

“Wha-“ Slap. G.na slapped Hyosung again on the same place. Hyosung looked up at G.na and glared back at her.

“You dare to glare back at me like that?” G.na raised her hand to slap Hyosung again, when Kikwang grabs her hand midair.

“G.na, what are you doing?” His voice was deeper than usual.

“Kikwang, you stay out of this. This is pure business between me and this .”

“I’m not a .” Hyosung said defiantly. G.na scoffed, “Oh my gosh. You’re really unbelievable. What did you do to get all that attention from the media, huh? You sleep with the media reporters? How dare you-”

“G.na!” Kikwang yelled, “We’re about to shoot for my music video. Can you please calm down and leave the set. You can talk to her like a civil person afterwards.”

G.na and Hyosung remained in a fierce glaring competition until G.na angrily turned away saying, “Fine.”

As G.na walked away, people started murmuring and Hyosung let out her breath and the tears she had been holding in started falling. She quickly walked away to go into one of the changing rooms.

“Hyosung!” Kikwang called, following her to her destination.

“Hyosung, are you okay?” Kikwang asked, holding her at her shoulders. She brushed him away, turning her head away. “I’m fine. Just give me a minute.”

“We can wait as long as you nee-”

“Sorry, Kikwang,” Hyosung said, not making eye contact with him, “But can you just leave me alone. I’m just… so embarrassed right now and I don’t really want anyone to see me like this. Please save me my dignity.”

Kikwang sighed as he took out his handkerchief. He gently grabbed her chin and made her face him and wiped her tears with the handkerchief. Hyosung looked up Kikwang who had such a concerned and concentrated look on his face. Please don’t do this, Hyosung thought. He noticed her looking at him and just smiled back. She gently put his hand away from her face and smiled, “I- I will be fine. I’m fine. I just need to get a little makeup retouch.”

Kikwang gave her a sad laugh and said, “I don’t know what happened with G.na, but just ignore it. She’s a very emotion-driven girl.”

Hyosung flashed him a smile, “I know. I’m okay… today’s your day. Let’s go back.”

--

The filming went by rather quickly. Makeup did magic for the red spot on Hyosung’s cheek and the dancing was well executed. They did have to do the dance three times in different outfits, but Mr. Sasspants was very pleased with the results. After the dancing parts of the video, Hyosung and the other dancers bid goodbye while Kikwang stayed for his own personal frames. So, yes, it went very smoothly.

Not so well for Hyosung, though. Each time they did the dance, Hyosung couldn’t help to feel heated under his gaze. She knew he was only acting for the camera, but when they practiced, he never looked at her with such a look. It made her feel hot. And wanted. And loved. And their touches sparked electricity within her. They had to repeat the dance three times, too.

“You did a great job!” Kikwang said to Hyosung, flashing her his signature smile. Hyosung just nodded back and said, “You too” before the director ushered Kikwang to the next part of the music video. She grabbed her stuff to leave when the CEO of Cube came up to her.

“Hello Hyosung-ssi.”

--

Hyosung sat in the practice room where she first met Kikwang. She sighed as she leaned back against the wall. So, apparently G.na didn’t want Hyosung to be a part of the performance anymore, so Hyosung had nothing to do tonight. Plus, not like she had anything much to do. And… well, this place oddly made her feel somewhat at peace.

Hyosung closed her eyes as she recalled her conversation with the CEO. He wanted to sign her into Cube as a trainee. Hyosung was completely shocked. Honestly, she had practically given up on the idea of becoming an idol. But for some reason, she refused. Hyosung rejected the offer given by Cube.

She sighed as she thought back to her time at J.tunes.

Flashback

“I’m sorry, what?” Hyosung asked angrily to the J.tunes CEO.

“I said that we’re gonna have to let you go.” Mr.CEO repeated. Hyosung scoffed as she felt tears pooling in her eyes, “Is this some sick joke? After a year of slaving away, backdancing for your idols, you’re saying you can’t take me as a trainee?”

“Hyosung,” the man said rather calmly, “We never guaranteed a secure spot into our trainee program. Basically, that year was to see your progress and potential. But we didn’t really see much. And, there were other better trainees to keep.”

“So, you guys just used me?” Hyosung asked angrily.

“No, think of it as a good experience. Now, you can continue to backdance for our company but-”

“No thanks,” Hyosung said, standing up and grabbing her bag, “I’m done with this company. Good day, sir.”

End flashback

Hyosung sighed. Why didn’t she accept Cube’s offer? If J.tunes had given her that offer just a couple weeks ago, Hyosung would have been ecstatic as she was getting closer to achieving her dream. But now… Hyosung just rejected the first milestone to becoming an idol singer. Was she just being scared? Hyosung sighed once more.

“You babo.”

“You’re the babo.” said a deep voice. Hyosung looked at the direction of the noise and saw a tired looking Kikwang walking in.

“What are you doing here?” Hyosung asked.

“Well,” Kikwang said, “I just finished filming and realized I left my phone here. Ah-ha.” Kikwang grabbed the device that as on the ground on the opposite side of Hyosung. Kikwang grinned, “Found it! What are you doing here anyway?”

Hyosung just shrugged, “Just thinking.”

Kikwang walked across to sit down next to her. “Is it because of G.na?”

Hyosung laughed, “Partly yes. Among other stuff.”

“Do you wanna talk about it?” He asked. Hyosung didn’t dare to make eye contact with him, but she can feel his gaze on her.

She shook her head no. “I don’t really wanna think about it.”

“Well, if you ever want someone to talk to.. I’m here.” Kikwang said softly. Hyosung turned her head to look at him and gulped. Why did he have to look at her so sincerely? She felt her insides melt.

Kikwang lifted his hand and gently brushed the redness of her cheek. Hyosung felt her body tingle by his single touch.

“Does it hurt?” he whispered, hands still caressing her skin. Hyosung’s throat ran dry. She abruptly stood up, making kikwang’s hand fall back to his side.

“It’s getting late now,” Hyosung said, “I should go now.” She bowed and said, “I’ll see you at next practice.”

“Wait!” she heard Kikwang say, but Hyosung ignored it and attempted to leave. Hyosung felt Kikwang grab her hand and turn her back around to come to him face to face. His face was so close to hers. And it was so good looking, she just kept staring at his eyes. Kikwang grabbed her face and planted his lips against hers. 

--

A/N: So a couple things.

1. I decided to make this into a two-shot, so be on the lookout for the second part!
2. Just in case you were curious, I imagined Kikwang's solo song to be Hyuna and Hyunseung's troublemaker. Obviously, Kikwang would be singing all the parts, so for their dancing, you can just imagine that choreo. 
3. I just chose G.na as the "mean idol" because she was the only solo artist in Cube entertainment. No hard feelings!

Well, hope that was a good read. I had a lot of fun writing it! Please leave a comment to let me know what you think!