Chapter 5

Cold

The bike zipped past the park, out of the residential area and onto the main road. Cody had tried to yell out stop, not prepared for a long bike ride. But Alex raced past cars with an almost predetermined destination in mind. He pulled up in front of a piano shop and hopped off.

“This isn’t the park.” Cody noted

“You’re very observant,” Alex winked. He gestured him inside, stopping to wave at the owner once in.

“You’re up early.” The owner smiled.

“I have something to take care of. Can I use Emily?”

Cody stood puzzled, unsure of what was going on.

The owner gave her permission and Alex lead Cody over to the piano. Emily, the name of the piano, was the owner’s favorite piece. She had no intention of selling it and rarely would she let anyone play it. It sat there in the corner, a beauty and charmer for any musician. Alex, however had played her, several times.  He had made friends with the owner last spring and came by now and then, to experiment with the instruments.

Cody stood at Alex’s side while he warmed up with a silly unknown number. Alex gave a warm smile to Cody while his fingers moved melodically over the keys, playing happy birthday. The tune was sweet, not a typical birthday chorus. It was better. It sounded free flowing, and truly musical. Cody could do nothing else but blush, while his insides danced from the feeling of being thought about.   

“There that should make up for me not singing, ” Alex said, hitting the last few keys.

“It was…perfect.”

“I’m glad. I’m a little rusty.”  

“Yeah, right.” Cody laughed.

“You look better when you smile.” Alex said.

“Yeah well sometimes it’s hard.”

“I know what you mean.” Alex agreed.  

As nice as it was to have Alex play and help him, it didn’t take the sting from being dumped by the guy he loved most.

 “Where to birthday boy?” Alex asked as he played with the keys.

“Uh, I should get”—

“The mall should be open. Let’s go shopping.” He interrupted.

“I’m not really in the mood and I don’t have any mon”—

Alex put his finger over Cody’s lips, “I know it’s your birthday, but it’s my last day here before I pack and leave. None of my friends are available. Do me a favor and hangout with me today. Please?”

“Isn’t your grandma coming back?”

“Not till tonight.”

Cody sighed.

“You’re locked out anyway. Let’s keep each other company until the people we’re waiting for come back.”

“What if he doesn’t!” Cody said loud. “He just left. What if he doesn’t come back!” Tears made their way down his cheeks that Alex pinched.

“What if he does?” He responded “It’s just for a few hours. I promise. Be my friend for today.”

Cody sniffled and looked at the piano where Alex had just finished playing the most perfect birthday tune he had ever heard.

“Fine.”

Grinning, Alex led Cody out and back onto the bike, “we need a warmer vehicle.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time goes by slowly when you’re feeling sorry for yourself. Dongwoon played with his hair as he thought of what Yoseop was telling the others and what they’d think. They had come up with the plan to pretend to fight with Cody. Kikwang would then spend the day trying to cheer him up while the others prepared. At the end of the day everyone was supposed to surprise him at a private venue. The whole place was booked for his friends and family. But it didn’t go that way. They fought for real. Dongwoon packed up and Cody was not being cheered up by Kikwang. Even when they came up with the plan, Dongwoon felt uneasy. The way Cody and him had been arguing, he wasn’t sure Cody would forgive so quickly when found out it was a joke. And at this moment it wasn’t. Dongwoon wondered if he should have it up and gave Cody his birthday instead of just leaving.

He rolled over on his stomach and let silent tears fall. Why didn’t he try harder for Cody this time around? He accused Cody of being different. Cody said the same about him. But people change and they don’t break up. Yoseop was right, every relationship had its rough times, you just don’t give up because it’s hard. But then when do you know it really over. If you’re just supposed to keep trying, no one would ever break up. People would stay in their unhappy relationship forever. That didn’t make sense to Dongwoon. At some point you have to ask if this relationship is still worth fighting for. But Dongwoon wasn’t sure he made the right decision. Today was his boyfriend’s birthday and he didn’t want to be in a hotel by himself. He wanted to be with Cody, holding him, showering him with gifts, making memories.  Even if it wasn’t his birthday he’d want that. Perhaps he still wanted to fight for Cody.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Try this on.” Alex said handing Cody another top.

“I have enough tops.” Cody sighed as he headed to the change room.

Alex browsed around as Cody tried on different things. They both agreed that a red check shirt looked sharp on him, but the price made Cody put it back. Alex grabbed it and paid for it before Cody had a chance to argue.

“Why are being so nice?” Cody questioned firm as they headed into another store. “You already got me a present. You baked me a cake. And now this! You don’t even know me. If you’re doing this because you feel sorry for me stop. I don’t need your pity.”

“Are you finished?” Alex asked bored

“Yes!” Cody snapped.

“Good, now help me look for shoes.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dongwoon scrolled through the texts from the guys. Some showing him concern others called him a jerk. He set the phone down, already aware of his mistake. He had spent most of the day replaying moments in his head, good times that he knew he could never get back. Not unless Cody and him started over. He couldn’t function without him. He thought walking away would be best but he was wrong. You can’t break up with someone when your heart still wants to be with them. A break up entails no longer wanting or even caring. But Dongwoon was still madly in love with Cody. Yoseop was right no one loved Dongwoon more; no one made him feel this way.

He grabbed his stuff, jetting out the door. He’d have to do some serious begging, he knew, but he’d rather have Cody hurl insults at him for being an than be alone without him. Dongwoon hailed down a cab and hoped Cody would give him a chance to tell him how sorry he was.