Whispers in the dark

A new arrival

“Jingyo… please go get your son.” Chaerin whined, her voice tired as their son’s cry came through the intercom.

“Why is he only my son at four in the morning when he’s upset?” Jiyong answered, not opening his eyes and tugging his pillow tighter.  He had been warned about this, from his mother, and his other friends who had children, but still he felt unprepared for the reality of a screaming infant at all hours of the night.

“Because I’m so tired Jiyong, please.” Chaein all but begged, reaching forward and very gently pushing his arm.  Jiyong sighed and took her hand squeezing it.  He was tired too, but he knew that he had to take care of his son, if anything to avoid a confrontation in the morning.  Rolling over he slid from the bed and shuffled his way to the nursery. 


“Alright little man, what’s going on?” He murmured, walking over to the crib and picking up the crying child. He looked him over, bouncing him in his arms as he assessed what could be making his son upset.  It didn’t take long for the scent of a dirty diaper to hit his nose. “Ah yeah, I get it now.”  He nodded and carried the child to the changing table. “I don’t blame ya kid, I’d be crying too…” He laughed to himself as he went about changing the boy.  

Jiyong was quick to change Jae-seung, closing his onesie and lifting him carefully into his arms.  “So little man, you’re gonna go back to sleep right?” He asked softly walking around the room and gently bouncing the boy in his arms as he stared up at him. “Because daddy has to work in the morning, and mommy needs her sleep.”  His voice was childish and high pitched as if he were trying to convince the other.  After a few more minutes of trying to get Jae to sleep by walking around Jiyong gave up and moved to the rocking chair. He was too tired to be awake anymore.

Sitting down with Jae in his arms he started to rock back and forth, putting his head back and closing his eyes.  “How do I get you to sleep kid?” He whined. “What does mommy do?”  He added opening his eyes and looking down at his child, his expression curious and waiting for an answer. “Does she sing to you?”  He continued, pushing his lips to the side.  “I bet you like her angel voice… daddy likes her angel voice.  He likes her too.” He grinned, “And I can tell you that because you won’t remember. It’ll be our little secret.”   

Laughing to himself Jiyong shook his head, building his courage and starting to sing a soft melody.  He wasn’t really much for actual singing, and it felt a little strange to do it, but he pulled an old lullaby from memory. Something he heard somewhere, maybe it was something his mother had sang to him, he couldn’t remember.  But now he sang it softly, continuing to rock his son in his arms as he did so.  His words grew softer as Jae fell back asleep, until they were barely above a whisper. He continued after standing and took the infant back to his crib and placed him in it.   “Good night little man.” He cooed and ran his fingers over the baby’s cheek. 

As quietly as he could Jiyong left the nursery and returned to his room, crawling back into bed and scooting over to Chaerin. He draped his arm over her side pulling her back against his chest.  “Have I ever told you that I love your singing voice oppa?”  Her soft voice met his ears.

“I’m sure you have kitten.” Jiyong responded with a kiss to the side of her neck. 

Chaerin smiled sleepily and turned her face to meet his, pressing a tender kiss to the side of Jiyong’s lips. “Thank you baby.” She whispered. “And for the record, it’s no secret that you like my . “ She chuckled and pushed her hips into his before holding his arms around her tightly.

“I know, but he doesn’t need to know that yet.  I just want him to feel special.”  Jiyong laughed and nuzzled Chaerin’s neck appreciatively. “Good night kitten, get some sleep before he wakes up again.” He whispered into her ear.

“Good night Jingyo. Thank you.” Chaerin smiled and closed her eyes, contented and warm she fell asleep, the entire happy family sleeping straight through until morning.  


~fin~
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Thank you all for reading this! It was fun writing it, and I hope you enjoyed the glimpse into my heads skydragon family.  Really honestly, thank you all for the love and comments. <3 <3 <3 <3