Time

A new arrival

Chaerin stood in the center of the green room, the envelope, still sealed, held loosely in her hands.   It had been a few weeks and she still hadn’t opened it. Jiyong was right to do it this way, she wanted to know but still, she had her convictions and she stuck to them.   With a small sigh she made her way back to the crib and put the letter down.   Idly rubbing her stomach she walked out of the nursery and down to the bedroom. She made it half way to her room before she stopped, her stomach cramping and causing her to grab at it in pain. “Oh come on gremlin, not now.” She whined, Jiyong was out preparing for a show and she was alone, it was no time to go into labor.  Bracing her hand on the wall she did her best to make it to the bedroom for her phone.  “Come on gremlin, just wait okay?” She pleaded softly as she waited for Jiyong to answer his phone.

Jiyong pawed at his phone when he heard Chaerin’s ringtone. “Yes baby girl what can I do for you?”  He sang into the receiver pushing his finger into his ear to hear her better over the music.

“Jingyo…” Chaerin started, her worried tone coming through the phone causing Jiyong to wave his hand for his staff to cut the music.  “I think I’m in labor.” She continued.  And with those words Jiyong was on his feet searching around for his jacket.

“Alright, you’re sure?” He asked, turning in circles in the practice room feeling completely lost. “Do you need me to come get you? An ambulance would probably be faster though, how are you feeling? What do you need me to do?”  He tried to keep the frantic tone out of his voice, though he still wasn’t sure where any of his things were.

“No, I don’t need an ambulance, just please come quickly baby.” Chaerin said trying to make her way down the hallway and then down the stairs. “I’ll be in the kitchen, be careful okay? Gremlin isn’t going anywhere just yet I don’t think.”

“Okay, okay kitten I’m on my way.” Jiyong spoke into the phone, nodding his thanks as someone handed him his keys.  He threw on his coat after that too was handed to him. Quickly he made his way to his car, all but running to try and get there faster.  He knew that he had to focus on driving, but it was hard, traffic felt like it was moving so slow, and all he wanted was to get to Chaerin’s side.  After driving for what felt like forever, Jiyong finally pulled into the driveway and jogged into the house. “Chae?” He yelled, as he headed to the kitchen.

“Coming baby.” Chaerin said, holding her stomach and slowly pushing her way toward him, her bag in her free hand.

“What are you doing with that?”

“Carrying it, it’s got all my stuff.” Chaerin looked at him skeptically.

Taking the bag in one hand Jiyong shook his head and helped the blonde to the car. “You shouldn’t be carrying it, I could have gotten it for you, are you okay?” He asked, his speech as quick as his step.

“I’m fine, I don’t think the contractions are too close yet, but when they happen, man….” Chaerin shook her head with a sour look.

Jiyong nodded his understanding and chewed on his lip as he took off toward the hospital.  He took Chaerin’s hand, making sure to not contort his face when she squeezed to fight off the pain she was feeling with each contraction. “Man your grip is tight.” He commented with a small laugh.  His laugh was met with a scowl and another tight squeeze of his hand.

“How far away is the hospital my god.” Chaerin moaned, and rubbed her stomach, the contractions coming closer together now.

“We’re almost there baby.” Jiyong tried to soothe her.  He continued to the back of her hand with his thumb as he wove through traffic.   When they finally made it to the hospital, he pulled up front and quickly stopped the car. He got out and rushed in. “I need a wheel chair, my wife is in labor.” He told the nurse before turning and running back out to Chaerin.  He helped her out of the car, and into the chair before she was wheeled away, with him quickly in tow.

Jiyong did his best to stay calm as they set Chaerin up in a room, he took her hand letting her squeeze it with each contraction. “It’s okay baby, you’re alright yeah?” He tried to sooth her.

Chaerin looked up at Jiyong from her place on the bed and groaned. “I didn’t think it was going to hurt this much.” She whined, squeezing his hand and biting her lip to stop herself from screaming. “Can someone get a doctor or something?” She yelled, obviously in pain.

Jiyong nodded, “Sure baby.” He said getting up and walking to the door looking out and hoping that someone would come his way.  After flagging down a nurse he asked for someone to come help Chaerin with her pain. Waiting felt like forever, and by the time someone came to give Chaerin pain killers Jiyong was certain his hand was broken.

Chaerin’s labor was long, and though she had medication, it was painful.  Jiyong did his best to be helpful, his fingers over her face and trying to soothe her, whispering words of encouragement through her screams. Then, after what felt like forever to Chaerin and Jiyong both, their son was finally born. 

Jiyong was unable to suppress his grin as the newborn, freshly cleaned, was placed on his wife’s chest.  “Chae… you did so good baby girl.” He whispered to her, kissing her forehead and watching her lovingly over his son’s cheek.   He reached out and ran his fingers over his son’s cheek.

“I knew it was a boy.” Chaerin said and looked up at Jiyong, her smile matching his.

“You mean you never looked?”  Jiyong asked, surprise lacing his words.

“Not once, I held that note a lot, ya know, weighing my options.” She laughed a little. “Did you decide on a name? Since you had so much time to think it over?”

“I really liked the one you suggested, Jae-seung.”  Jiyong nodded and smiled hopefully at Chae.

“Good, I liked that one too.”  She said and blinked heavily.  A few moments later a nurse returned, taking Jae-seung from Chaerin and placing him in a bassinet.  Chaerin watched as her son was taken to the nursery and Jiyong sat next to her.  “I’m so tired.” She admitted, her weakened voice reaffirming her words.  

“Then go to sleep baby.” Jiyong spoke, leaning close and her cheek. “I have some calls to make, people to brag to…” He grinned and kissed her lightly. “You did well mommy.” He whispered in her ear.

Chaerin closed her eyes, grinning up at Jiyong as she did so. “Thank you daddy.”