Breaking News

A new arrival

Chaerin sat on the edge of the tub, the small plastic wand held tightly between her fingers.  She stared at it waiting for the small screen to tell her her future.   The minutes that it took for the screen to respond felt like hours, but when it was over she finally let out the breath she had been holding.  Standing, she dropped the wand into the trash and washed her hands before walking out of the bathroom.  She could hear Jiyong in the kitchen, talking and laughing on the phone and she made her way toward the sound.

Once Chaerin entered the kitchen she hopped up on the counter, locking her ankles in front of her and waiting, a small smile on her lips. She was nervous, and when Jiyong turned and looked at her, he could tell.  “Taeyang, lemme call you back man.”  He said, nodding and adding a few more goodbyes before hanging up.  “You okay kitten?”  He asked, walking over and placing his hands on her thighs.   Chaerin nodded, placing her hands over his as he rubbed them over her legs.

“I’m just fine appa.” She said, trying everything to keep her breathing even.  She silently hoped that he would understand.  His head tilt informed her that he almost did.

“Appa?” He asked, “You’ve called me daddy before kitten, but appa is a new one.” He continued, lips pushing out in a confused pout.

Chaerin took a breath, her lip nervously before speaking. “Slightly different circumstances this time.” She started and met his eyes.  “Jiyong, I’m pregnant.”  She said steadily.

“What?” Jiyong asked, leaning back and looking at her, his eyes scanned her whole body, from the tip of her head to her toes and then finally rested on her eyes again. “Wait… what? You’re sure?”  He asked, again, his tone skeptical.

Chaerin bit her lip, this was the part she was nervous about.  It wasn’t as if they had tried to have a baby.  They were both at the top of their game with their careers, and this could change everything.  “Yes, I’m sure.” She responded finally. “I took a test, and it said I was, and aside from that… Jiyong I can just tell…” Her voice lowered as she continued on, her nerves making her voice flutter.

Jiyong watched her, his stomach balling into a knot as he listened to her.  He didn’t know what to say, so many things running through his head.  He had never really pictured himself as a father, but now that the thought was there he couldn’t imagine not being one.  “And… Chaerin, what are you thinking?” He asked, not wanting to jump to any conclusions.  If she wanted this baby, it may affect her career, and that was something that they would have to take into consideration.  

“I’m thinking that I’m a little terrified that you’re not really reacting right now.” She spoke honestly, reaching forward and cupping his cheek in her hand.  “Jiyong…?” She asked, wanting him to tell her that it was okay. “Do… do you…”

“Yes.” Jiyong cut her off, a wide smile growing across his face. “Yes Chaerin…” He said and leaned forward kissing her and extracting a surprised giggle from her lips.  He pulled back and grinned at her. “Chae… we’re gonna be parents.”  He said, the excitement growing in his voice as he took her hands holding them tightly.

“I know!” Chaerin laughed squeezing his hands and leaning forward kissing him again. “I’m happy, are you happy?”

“Of course I am kitten.” Jiyong said and let go of her hands reaching forward and wrapping his arms around her waist pulling her off the counter and against his body.  He kissed her cheek making his way to her lips before pushing his to hers and sighing happily.  “We’re gonna have to make a nursery. We should go shopping tomorrow.” He said when he pulled back.

“Jiyong,” Chaerin laughed, “We still have a few months to work on that.”

“You can never start too early.” Jiyong beamed at her.