Dream Sequence One

Lilium

The room you were in was stark white, almost blinding you as you glanced around. There was nothing in the room, save for the bed you were sitting in, a small nightstand next to it, and a mirror. You felt disoriented in the room, not quite sure where it was safe to walk.

You heard a hiss and turned your head to the newly opened door. The man that carried you from the bathroom to the room stepped in, his hands jammed into his pockets. He was the only splash of color in the room and a sight for sore eyes, but for some reason, he made you nervous.

“Hey, are you feeling better?” You stared at him. You weren’t any better than you were before, but you weren’t exactly worse off either.

“Do you recognize me?” You shook your head again and looked away, pulling the sheets on the bed up closer to your chest.

“Sunggyu. My name is Sunggyu. Remember?” Your eyes moved back towards him and the almost pleading expression on his face, like he was begging you to remember him.

Sunggyu. He looked nice enough. His eyes were a little bit small, his hair a little bit shaggy. He wasn’t wearing white lab coats like the others that came into the room to check up on you.

When you shook your head slowly at him, he sighed and squeezed his eyes shut.

--

“She doesn’t remember anything, Woohyun,” Sunggyu said, settling down in a chair across from him. Woohyun leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, letting his hands fall limp.

“Nothing? Nothing at all?”

“Nothing. I confirmed with the techs. Jisa hasn’t said a word, and whenever I get too close to her, she starts to panic.”

“What? Of all the people, she should feel most comfortable around us. She’s bonded to us. This doesn’t make any sense.” Woohyun sighed and sat back in his chair, leaning his head back.

“I don’t know, Woohyun. If we can’t get close to her without her having a panic attack, we can’t take blood from her. And if we can’t take blood from her, we can’t give her our blood, and if we can’t do that, she gets sick again.”

“I know, Sunggyu. I’m not stupid. Jisa’s the one who forgot everything, not me.”

--

When you dreamed, you dreamed of something familiar. You didn’t know if they were actually dreams or memories by the way they were such in fine detail. You dreaded waking up, because you always wanted to know more.

--

“She’s been dreaming a lot,” one of the lab techs said as soon as Woohyun walked through the door. The lone mirror in Jisa’s medical room was used to observe her. The entire room was equipped with all kinds of technology to keep a check on Jisa and her health without confining her to the bed with wires and tubes running through her body.

“About what?” The lab tech raised an eyebrow at him.

“I know we have state-of-the-art technology here, sir, but that’s not something we can find out.”

--

Begin Dream Sequence One.

--

You opened up your eyes to find yourself in an unfamiliar room. This didn’t look like the stark white medical room you were finally getting used to. You sat up in your bed and threw off the covers and looked for a light switch in the room.

You tripped over a few things on the floor before stumbling against the door and flipping the light switch on. You turned around and leaned against the door to take a look around the room.

There was a desk with a large lamp in the corner next to the window. You could see various pens and pencils along with scattered pieces of paper. There was a mannequin next to it with a pieces of fabric pinned on it and a tape measure around the neck.

You glanced down and noticed shoes all over the floor. A few posters adorned the walls. Some pictures on the wall next to your bed caught your attention, though, but before you could closer to see them, there was a soft knock at your door before it opened, sending you falling back.

“Whoa, there. I know you said you were falling me for me, but I didn’t think you meant literally.” A man caught you in his arms and laughed. You blinked a few times and stared up at him before squinting your eyes.

“Sunggyu?” He helped you up to your feet and raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. Who else would it be in the middle of the night? I came to check up on you to make sure you didn’t fall asleep at your desk again. Work, work, work. I swear, it’s like you never have time for me anymore.” He wrapped his arms around your waist and laid his head on your shoulder.

You turned your head towards the pictures above your bed. Your eyes focused on them, and you could see they were pictures of you and Sunggyu in various places, doing various things. Why couldn’t you remember anything?

“Jisa? Are you okay? You look confused.” Sunggyu turned you around and held you at arm’s length, giving you a concerned look.

“Yeah, I’m just- I just woke up. I’m a little bit disoriented,” you said in a daze. Sunggyu laughed and wrapped his arms around your waist to pull you a little bit closer to him.

“Well, just in case you forgot, your name is Lee Jisa, aspiring fashion designer. Your boyfriend is me, Kim Sunggyu, musician extraordinaire and you’re only allowed to have eyes for me.” You laughed and let him pull you into a hug. This was comfortable, you decided.

“I have coffee brewing in the pot if you need it. I’m headed out for tonight,” Sunggyu said, planting a kiss on your nose.

“Okay,” you said, “be safe.”

--

Maybe you really were just disoriented from sleep. After Sunggyu left, you sat down at your desk and stared at the pictures scattered around. They were designs, you could tell. The fabrics on the mannequin were for a new shirt design you were making to try out.

You were a naturally messy person, because you worked better in the chaos, which drove Sunggyu crazy. You two met while you were in college, and had been dating for a year now. He asked you to move in with him after you two dated for seven months.

Something still felt like it was missing, but you ignored it and shuffled your papers around into a nice stack. Sunggyu would be gone until the wee hours of the morning. He’d be back before the sun came up, though.

You stared at your bed and sighed. Sleep sounded good right now. Then you could get out in the morning and run some errands to relax.

--

You barely heard the door open but felt Sunggyu press a kiss to your forehead before he left silently. You tried to force your eyes open but fell asleep again.

--

Your eyes fluttered open in the morning, groaning when the sunlight hit your face. You rolled out of bed and fell on your shoes, making you mutter angry words under your breath before kicking them away from you and heading towards the bathroom.

The living room was clean, as it always was. Sunggyu couldn’t stand a mess, and you suspected he cleaned everything three times over when you weren’t there.

You saw Sunggyu’s bedroom door slightly open and pushed it open, spotting him asleep in his bed, curtains completely blocking out the sun. You tip toed over to him and sat down on the edge of the bed. He groaned and rolled over, wrapping his arms around your waist.

“How was work?”

“Was fine. Did you sleep well?” he mumbled out.

“Yeah. Go back to sleep. I’ll be running a few errands all morning.” He mumbled something and let go of you as you bent over to kiss him.

--

“Hey, Jisa. Looking gorgeous as ever,” the barista said, giving you a grin mixed with a smirk. You rolled your eyes and adjusted the large fake glasses on your face.

“Shut up, Jaehyo. You’re so gross. Don’t let Sunggyu hear you say that, or he might kill you.” Jaehyo just shrugged his shoulders and continued to wipe the cup he was holding.

“The usual for you?”

“Yes, please,” you said as you sat down at the counter. Jaehyo was all smiles as you watched him make the drink and slide it down towards you.

“Enough sugar in that to rot all your teeth. Made with today’s special ingredient, my love.” He made a heart with his hands at his chest, which made you gag slightly.

“What’s wrong with you today?” you asked, raising your eyebrow at him.

“I don’t know. Good mood, I guess.”

“Did you finally get laid?” It was his turn to choke and sputter as you grinned at him over your cup of coffee.

--

The coffee shop  you frequented also doubled as a bookstore. You never left the place without a new book tucked under your arm.

You stepped outside of the shop and glanced around at the mass of people walking on the sidewalk. You stopped to wonder about where they were going for a moment before turning and heading towards the bus stop.

As you walked, someone bumped into you, nearly making you fall over.

“Sorry,” he said, keeping his face hidden and his head low. You managed to catch a glimpse of his face and turned to look at him with your eyebrows furrowed.

He looked familiar.

“Hey, wait!” you called after him, but he didn’t stop and soon disappeared into the crowd.

--

End Dream Sequence One

--

Your eyes snapped open, and you were back in the white room again. You blinked a few time sin confusion before sitting up and rubbing your eyes. The door hissed open again, and another lab tech came in.

Your eyes widened slightly as your recognized who it was.

“How are you feeling today? Any changes?” You opened your mouth to say something but closed it without a word. He looked at you with a raised eyebrow.

“Were you going to say something? It’s okay, if you talk. No one’s going to cut your tongue off if you talk.” You just shook your head again and watched as he scribbled some things down on the chart and left the room.

“... Jaehyo.”

--

Sunggyu came to visit you in the room many times as time went on. There was really no sense of time in the room, and you weren’t allowed to leave, so you spent your time staring at the walls or sleeping.

You heard the door hiss open while you were laying in bed and closed your eyes, pretending to sleep. It was probably just another one of the men in white lab coats coming to check up on you.

“Jisa?” You heard someone call your name, but it didn’t sound like Sunggyu.

“Oh, god. Jisa, I’m so sorry. This wasn’t supposed to happen to you...” You felt a weight on the side of the bed and tensed up.

“But I think it’s better if you don’t remember... if you don’t remember the mistakes we made.” You felt a hand reach out to touch your face and panicked. Your eyes flew open as you struggled to get away from him.

“Jisa!” You fell backwards out of the bed in a mess of sheets and flying limbs. You landed on your shoulder on the ground and gave a cry of pain before the man scooped you up and placed you back on the bed.

“Jisa, Jisa. Talk to me. Are you okay? What hurts? Jisa!” You didn’t listen to his words, though. Your entire existence was panicking, trying to get away from the man standing near you.

“Woohyun, back off before she panics herself into a heart attack!” You looked around wildly for the source of the voice, but your attention turned back to the man named Woohyun standing near you. Suddenly, your hand flew up to your heart. It felt like something was squeezing it tightly, making it hard to breathe.

“Woohyun! Back off!” A couple of men in white coats came into the room, two of them pulling Woohyun out as he stared at you. Jaehyo stood next to you, pulling your gown off of the shoulder you fell on and wrinkling his eyebrows.

“She might’ve sprained her shoulder from the fall. She’s in a fragile state right now,” he said, knowing that Woohyun was in the observation room watching everything happen.

“It’s okay, Jisa, breathe. Take a few deep breaths. He’s gone.” Your eyes darted around the room to make sure he was gone, and you could finally feel yourself starting to relax. Sunggyu came bursting into the observation room where Woohyun was leaned over the monitor, staring intently at it.

“I heard what happened. What are you thinking? You could’ve killed her!”

“Does she react that way to you, too?” Woohyun asked, not taking his eyes off of the monitor. “Like if you get close to her, she’s going to get infected with a disease and die?”

Sunggyu turned his head away and sighed.

“Yes.”