Jazz

Collection of Snapshots

It's the flow and rhythm that Baekhyun loves best about jazz.

The way his voice effortlessly mingles in between the piano and low beats of the cello. It puts his mind at ease and his heart steadily beats in time with the tempo.

He lets the music sweep him off his feet and carry him away.

He gives each note a piece of his soul and carefully pours emotion into every phrase.

The melody that flows from his lips is silky smooth like melted chocolate. It diffuses into the space like the rings of smoke the well-dressed business man at the bar puffs out as he nurses a drink in his right hand.

Baekhyun isn't only a talented singer (those aren't his words) because he knows singing isn't just about being able to procure a melody and make a song his own.

It's about being able to make people feel, really feel and that's exactly what he does.



There are some people who hide from emotion and some who claim they are emotionless, but Baekhyun enjoys this challenge. More often than not, he can pull a reaction from even the most stoic of people within earshot. A little frown or upward quirk of their lips indicates his victory.

He used to feel bad about making his listeners down and favoured upbeat songs, but he'd grown to learn that it's a good thing. If they didn't want the feeling they would leave, or wouldn't come at all. It took some thought for him to realise; feeling something is better than feeling nothing at all. After all being alive is not simply that we have a beating heart, but a heart that hurts with loss, and flutters at the sight of the person of one's dreams.
 

This, Baekhyun thinks, is what he was born to do.

 


 

A/N: random drabble?? idk? word vomit? (also that title is shiet so if i think of a better one i'll change it haha)
funny story, it was my first day of school when i began this and in creative writing, the teacher said always listen, be aware b/c anything could spark inspiration

so while sitting in a waiting room to get a scrip, there was nice smooth jazz... so i listened a bit and began to think: Baekhyun singing jazz (idk why Kyungsoo didn't come to mind, but in my head it was Baekhyun standing at the mic, singing his heart out) and suddenly all this word vomit comes up and as you can see, I sort of strayed and ranted on about music in general, but I'm a singer and these are my thoughts ;-; hope you enjoyed!