Chapter 1

Snow Prints

Main Girl's POV

“I’m lonely.” I said to the sky above my head as the sun brightens with warmth. 
As if anyone could hear my words of sadness.
I took a long sigh and saw the cold air became visible before my eyes.
No one will know the feelings of being me and living my life.
I looked across the empty street and kept walking down the sidewalk.
Finally, I sat down on the bench bus and waited for the bus to come.
I looked down at the white ground full of snow and found my foot prints leading from this bench to the long road of the sidewalk.
Using my eyes as a binocular, I searched the scenery for any other prints on the ground.
Seeing that there are no other foot prints in the snow except mine, I once again exhale in loneliness.
Even on a snowy day like this, everyone is in a house full of warmth and happiness, except me.
I waited for the bus and it finally came after 15 minutes.
The door opens and I got up from the bench to climb on for a ride.
I walked down the aisle trying to pick where I should sit.
It shouldn’t be hard, since the seats are empty at this time and probably for a while.
I seated myself at the very back of the bus and looked out the window.
Looking at the white snow covering the town and practically everywhere I go, I felt tired and sleepy.
For some reason, the snow hypnotized me into a deep sleep and my eyes closed itself as my head leaned on the window for support.
============================================================================

Main Boy's POV

I saw the bus doors opened and I quickly jumped in.
The bus driver didn’t seem happy driving this late at night.
I dropped the money in the box and gave him an appreciated smile.
Turning around, I walked down the aisle of many empty seats.
I know that not many people would be on a bus this late at night in a cold snowy weather.
My attention turns to the leg sticking out from the back seat.
I walked closer to notice a cute girl sleeping with her head leaning on the window.
I sat down next to her and smile to myself.
Thirty minutes past by and the bus finally came to a harsh stop.
The sleeping girl unexpectedly landed on my laps as I grip on tight to the seats before me.
At this angle, she looked like a sleeping beauty to me.
I lowered my head and body down to take a closer look at her face as a vibe was heard from my pocket.
She opened her eyes and I stopped my movement.
Our lips were inches apart from each other and I can feel her warm breath on my lips.
I instantly felt a pair of warm hands on my neck and I knew that I had to sit straight back up.
Seeing that I had leaned back on the seat, she let go of my neck and pulled herself back up.
“Last stop.  Please get off the bus.” the driver said in a tired tone.
“What?” the girl said looking out the window as I got up from my seat and checked my phone for messages.
“Goodnight.” I said to the bus man and walked down the stairs of the bus.
I seated myself on the bench and looked at my phone.
I heard the bus door closed and the bus drove off.
The unknown girl in the bus stood before me and was looking at me with a sad expression on her face.
I tried to ignore her with my pretended laughter; after all she tried to strangle me a moment ago.
“Sorry.” I heard her say as I looked up to see her walking away.
I was about to call a friend to pick me up, but then the phone screen went black.
“Crap.  Not again.” I shouted loudly at the phone and hitting it several times in attempt to turn the phone on again.
I looked down the path where the girl walked down a moment ago and found no shadow of anyone.
“Hey!” I shouted to hear only the winds answering.
The moon started to shine brighter and that’s when I saw the snow prints on the ground.
I followed the prints to find the girl sitting near a closed store with her heads covered.
“Hey.  Are you okay?” I asked walking up to her side and tapping her lightly.
The snow started to pour from the sky.
She slowly raised her head up and showed me her sad eyes with a forceful smile.
She nodded her head to tell me she was fine.
I reached out my right hand to assist her up from the ground.
She stared at my hand and slowly puts her shaky cold hands on mine.
I pulled her up from the ground and she stood up to face me.
“Thank you.” she said as I remembered that my phone ran out of battery.
“May I borrow you phone?” I asked her as she searched through her pockets and pulled out a pink colored phone.
“Thanks.” I smiled taking the phone from her hands as she puts her hands in her pockets to warm them while waiting.
I quickly dialed my home phone number to hear the answering machine’s voice.
I dialed my sister’s phone number and patiently waited for someone to pick up.
I looked at the girl standing in front of me who smiled with patience.
I gave her a fake smile to hid the hot tempered me.
I turned around to stop the awkwardness between me and her, an unknown yet helpful stranger.
After several rings and it seemed like no one would answered, someone finally answered me.
“Alo?  Who is this?” I heard my sister’s voice answered while feeling that something wrong was going on behind me.
The feeling was an uneasy feeling and to my surprised the girl behind me seemed to have fainted.
I could feel her head leaning on my shoulders and the weight behind my back.
“Eh.  You ok?” I asked while still on the phone with my sister.
I felt no movement from behind me, and I knew she must have fainted.
I could hear my sister saying through the phone, “Yeah.  I’m fine, no need to worry.  I’ll pick you up.”
I used my free hand and turned the phone off to put in my pocket.
Then I used both of my hands to grab and hold on tight to her shoulders and arms.
I slid down gently to the ground with her behind me.
I pulled her arms around my shoulders and I could felt her tight grip on my shoulders.
“So you not dead after all.” I thought to myself and I managed to pick her up and gave her a piggyback ride.
“Thank you.” she whispers into my left ear by lifting her heads up and then dropping it down on my left shoulder again.
For the first time in my life, I gave a girl, not to mention an unknown stranger, a piggyback ride.
Not even my little sister gets this kind of treatment from me.
The snow started to pour more and more, piling up on the white snow ground.
It was a bit difficult to walk with her on my back, since it requires me to lift my feet up from the deep snowed ground.
Somehow, I felt warm inside carrying this person, that is, I’ve been lonely for the past five years now.
This feeling to me was the same feeling I had when I met my first love, Chi Thu, in the 7th grade.
Right now, I felt happy, yet tired at the same time.
Still, I wanted to continue walking with her leaning on my shoulder and back.
==================================================================================

Main Girl's POV

This boy.  Why did he help a person like me?
I guess there is a kind and honest person in this world after all.
Not every guy is a liar and cheater like Vinh Huu.
I opened my eyes to stare at his face sideways as the snow flew past me and him.
This person.  He has a kind heart to help a stranger like me.
Somehow, I felt safe.  Feelings of your heart can’t lie, right? 
Stopping my tight grip on his shoulders, I released it to a gentler hold.
I saw the snow falling on his shoulder and on my cold bare hands.
My eyes focused on the white and long path of snow, it was glittering beautifully and pure.
Closing my eyes, I went off into a deep sleep and knew that I will be safe.
============================================================================

A/N:  Any comments?  Hehehe.

Edited 3-22-10.