Three

Polaroid (Sequel to Fine China)

Wonshik thinks that Taekwoon has a bad habit of falling out of contact. Hakyeon told him that sometimes it's best to be the one to initiate contact, but… Wonshik is hesitant. "He's probably busy with Hongbin," he says like it's some kind of exasperated profanity.

It's mid-January now—the winter term's begun, and Wonshik landed a job working for a small street restaurant. The hours are late, and it's always colder than Jack Frost's piss, but it's money. Hakyeon got on with a big graphic design project with the university, and consequently, Wonshik and Hakyeon don't see much of each other nowadays. Wonshik abhors the fact that it seems like he's growing more and more distant from everyone in his life, starting with Taekwoon, and he suddenly feels that he's unable to pull everything back together.

It's snowing very lightly when Wonshik returns home from his shift at the restaurant around one in the morning—the yellow sodium light from the streetlamps fades away as he makes his way up the apartment complex stairs and pushes open his apartment's door. It's almost equally as dim inside.

Hakyeon is hunched over his laptop on the couch, the light from the screen illuminating his focused face.

"What are you doing still up?" Wonshik asks as he shuts the door and slips out of his jacket.

"The project coordinator asked me to do some extra things for the project," Hakyeon says as Wonshik settles into the couch beside Hakyeon. "How was work?"

Wonshik shrugs, watching Hakyeon maneuver through his design program. "The same as always."

Hakyeon nods, not taking his eyes from the screen. "Why don't you get some sleep?" He mumbles.

"You need sleep more than I do," Wonshik says, flicking his gaze to study the dark circles under Hakyeon's squinted eyes; evidence of many, many horrendously late nights spent in front of the computer screen or hunched over the lightbox in his bedroom. "You put so much effort into everything that you don't leave any to spend on yourself," Wonshik sighs, kicking his feet up onto the coffee table. He realizes he didn't take off his shoes at the door, but he hasn't the energy to get up and remove them. His eyelids grow heavy as he thinks passively about the schoolwork that he should probably be done, but he does his best to stave off the sleepiness. He stares emptily at the mural'd wall in front of himself until Hakyeon's head falls heavily onto his shoulder, weighing like sleep.

With a gentle smirk, Wonshik pulls Hakyeon's laptop out from beneath his relaxed hands and shuts it before placing it on the floor and resting his own tired head on the back of the couch. Wonshik allows his eyes to slide shut, and he almost instantaneously drops into sleep.

When Wonshik awakes, he's slumped sideways onto the couch, one arm hanging off the edge and resting on the floor, face mashed into the soft cushions. As Wonshik stirs, he notices that his shoes have been removed, and Hakyeon's heavy, comforting head isn't leaning on his shoulder, for obvious reasons. He sits up, eyes still half-lidded with sleep, and sniffs the air. Coffee. Hakyeon must be in the kitchen.

"Good morning," Hakyeon chimes, and Wonshik wonders how he always manages to be so goddamn energetic. Wonshik runs a hand through his brown hair, trying to make it behave but only effectively mussing it up further. He pries his eyes open more to take in the sight of Hakyeon in the kitchen.

He's sitting on the counter cross-legged, with a toaster before him, and a cup of coffee in hand. His hair is still damp from a shower, and he's dressed in grey sweatpants and a navy blue sweatshirt that could either be his or Wonshik's—upon further inspection, Wonshik finds that it's his own. He vaguely wonders why Hakyeon would bother wearing his clothes.

"Do you want some toast?" Hakyeon asks as the toaster dings. He fishes the hot bread out of the toaster and drops it onto a plate, offering it to Wonshik.

Wonshik pushes himself off the sofa, his limbs creaking from sleeping curled up, and lumbers into the kitchen to help himself to toast and a cup of coffee. "Thanks," he croaks in a sleep-thick and rumbly voice.

"So it's Saturday," Hakyeon says as Wonshik leans up against the counter opposite in the kitchenette. "I think we should go somewhere together today." Hakyeon takes a huge bite of toast.

"Like where?" Wonshik asks, rubbing an eye. Nothing's really registering yet in his mind—not even Hakyeon sitting oh-so invitingly on the counter, wearing Wonshik's sweatshirt.

Hakyeon shrugs. "I don't know. How about the park?"

Wonshik nods, although it rather feels like his head is floating. "Sounds good to me."

Hakyeon's grin that follow strikes something in Wonshik's heart, and he can't help but smile in return. They finish up coffee and breakfast, and both clean up and get dressed for a chilly walk in the park. Hakyeon keeps on Wonshik's sweatshirt, merely changing into jeans and layering a parka on top, and Wonshik snickers when he notices as they shuffle out the door.

None of the night's snow had stuck, and patches of heavy grey clouds had cleared away to show the crystalline blue sky beneath. The air was bitingly cold, as it had been for months now, and Wonshik instantly wishes he had some mittens on. Hakyeon latches onto Wonshik's elbow, and all but drags him in the direction of the park, slipping dangerously on the wet pavement several times.

It feels nice, Wonshik thinks. The fresh, clear morning air. He breathes deeply, ignoring Hakyeon's tugging on his elbow. It occurs to Wonshik, as they step onto the park grounds, that Hakyeon's arm feels very nice when linked with his own. He thinks it strange for a fleeting moment, and wonders if it would still feel as right if he were linked arms with Taekwoon. Even though it's only been maybe three weeks since the last time Wonshik saw Taekwoon—when he took Taekwoon to reconcile with Hongbin. Wonshik is already forgetting what it felt like to be with Taekwoon and to hold him in his arms. Cautiously, Wonshik reaches with his free hand, his mind empty, and takes hold of the wrist Hakyeon has hooked around Wonshik's other arm, pulling it away and instead lacing their fingers together.

For a moment, Hakyeon's face pulls into an expression of absolute surprise, but it melts into a happy smile shortly after. "Are you okay with this?" Hakyeon asks.

"I initiated it, didn't I?" Wonshik replies, his eyes grazing over the park before them.

Wonshik can tell Hakyeon wants to say something, and probably quite loudly at that, but Hakyeon restrains, simply choosing to lightly squeeze Wonshik's hand instead.

They walk in silence for a long time afterward, looking at the trees and the people with rose-tinted vision. At some point, Wonshik tucks both he and Hakyeon's hands into the pocket of his parka, and Hakyeon beams so softly. Wonshik stares at his feet, kicking passively at a very wet leaf, and when he looks up, he slows to a stop. Hakyeon looks to him with an expectant frown.

There, going towards Wonshik and Hakyeon on the opposite side of the walkway—Taekwoon and Hongbin. Wonshik's mouth goes very dry.

Hakyeon follows Wonshik's gaze, and immediately whirls back to face Wonshik. "What are you going to do?" He asks, but it's almost a demand.

Wonshik watches Taekwoon and Hongbin as they draw nearer. They look so happy—even Taekwoon, though he doesn't smile. Taekwoon pushes Hongbin along in his wheelchair, and Hongbin is beaming, two different cameras cradled in his lap. Something gnaws in Wonshik's gut, and he tightens his hand around Hakyeon's for comfort.

Wonshik isn't sure if he wants Taekwoon back. Of course Wonshik still thinks that Taekwoon is possibly the most beautiful man he's ever laid eyes on—but all the heartache, and knowing that Taekwoon always loved another… Wonshik would forego all that in a heartbeat. True, he loved Taekwoon, and Taekwoon loved him. But it was time for something different.

"Let's just say hello," Wonshik says after a moment.

Hakyeon meets Wonshik's gaze to seeking confirmation, and nods. They begin walking again.

Both parties slow when they reach each other on the walkway.

"Hey," Wonshik says nonchalantly, but his chest feels constricted and tight. They're like strangers to each other now.

Taekwoon seems to stare right through Wonshik, and his eyes mask a degree of alarm. "Wonshik," Taekwoon says, and Wonshik thinks his voice sounds like it could break at the slightest touch if it were made of glass.

"Ah," Hongbin says, drawing everyone's attention. His voice is surprisingly deep and resonant, and Wonshik passively wonders if Taekwoon prefers younger guys with deep voices. "This is Wonshik?" Hongbin asks Taekwoon, tipping his face up towards Taekwoon. Taekwoon nods. "He was with you when you came on Christmas Eve," Hongbin says, his eyes travelling to Wonshik's face. He extends a petite hand. "It's nice to meet you," Hongbin smiles. "I hear about you from time to time from Taekwoon."

Wonshik wearily shakes Hongbin's soft and small hand. "I've heard a bit about you, too," Wonshik mumbles.

"Is this your boyfriend?" Hongbin asks, looking at Hakyeon.

Hakyeon immediately pulls his hand out of Wonshik's pocket, and looks at the ground. "Oh, um, no…" Wonshik blurts, missing the warmth of Hakyeon's fingers and feeling the tingling sensation of Taekwoon's eyes travelling up and down his body, inspecting him for any signs of… anything.

"I'm Wonshik's roommate," Hakyeon clarifies, holding out a hand for Hongbin to shake. "Cha Hakyeon."

"Oh… it's nice to meet you." Hongbin's smile never falters.

Wonshik at last lifts his eyes to meet Taekwoon's. As always, they are unreadable; masking secrets and emotions, and his placid, taciturn expression refuses to crack. Wonshik opens his mouth to speak, hoping something intelligent will tumble out, but Hongbin beats him to talking.

"Wonshik, Hakyeon, is it alright if I take a photograph?" Hongbin asks, holding up one of his two cameras—a bulky old Polaroid.

Hakyeon looks to Wonshik with his eyebrows raised under his bangs, and Wonshik shrugs. "I don't see why not," Wonshik says.

Hakyeon loops an arm around Wonshik's as they pose for the camera, smiling pleasantly as the shutter clicks, and the camera spits out a small photograph. Hongbin snatches it and waves it around for a few seconds to speed its development, but he keeps the camera in his hand. "Now Taekwoon and Wonshik," he says simply, but his voice sounds loud in the cold, still air.

Without question, Taekwoon lets his hands fall off the handles of Hongbin's wheelchair, and he makes his way around to Wonshik's side, slowly, deliberately. Hakyeon steps aside and folds his arms, looking away at something in the distance. Taekwoon clasps his hands behind his back, standing dangerously close to Wonshik. Wonshik takes a deep calming breath, but it's too easy to smell Taekwoon's familiar scent in the air. Out of the corner of his eye, Wonshik looks at Taekwoon, eyeing the curve of his pale jaw and the wispiness of his inky black hair against his cheek. Wonshik exhales. Puts on a gentle smile and turns to Hongbin's camera.

Click.

Shortly after, Taekwoon has retreated behind Hongbin again, and Hongbin is waving around the small polaroid photo. This time, Hongbin sets the camera and both photographs in his lap, and reaches for his wheels, pushing himself closer to Wonshik.

"Here," Hongbin says, quietly, as he stops in front of Wonshik. He picks up the still-developing polaroid of Wonshik and Taekwoon, takes Wonshik's hand from his pocket, and gently places the photograph into his palm. "So you don't forget."

Wonshik stares at the image of he and Taekwoon as it appears from milky grey, the features of their faces becoming clearer—the opposite of their relationship, which is growing murky and blurred.

"If Taekwoon means to you anything close to what he means to me, then you're not going to ever want to forget him." Wonshik peers at Hongbin's face as Hongbin smiles somewhat sadly. "Maybe I'll see you around," Hongbin says. Taekwoon takes the cue and steps up to Hongbin's wheelchair, gripping the handles with white knuckles.

Yet again, Wonshik and Taekwoon's eyes meet, and this time there's a jolting connection. A tiny piece of Taekwoon's emotional armor breaks away, and Wonshik looks desperately inside. "I miss you," Taekwoon whispers in that soft voice like bird wings, and Wonshik's heart skips a hundred beats, feeling much like the first time they met. The recently forgotten confusion builds in Wonshik's chest, though, until he feels Hakyeon grab at his wrist; gently re-grounding him in the present. Wonshik tears his eyes away and stares at the concrete under his feet.

"Don't… don't be afraid to call me. If you miss me," Wonshik breathes.

Ignored, Hongbin stares at his hands and the cameras in his lap, his eyes downcast, feathery eyelashes brushing high alabaster cheekbones.

"Why would I do that?" Taekwoon scoffs, and Wonshik can feel his heart breaking again. Hakyeon gives Wonshik's wrist a comforting squeeze. "I'm happy. I miss you, but… it's over, isn't it? I asked you not to leave, but you insisted on ending what we had."

A painful lump forms in the back of Wonshik's throat, and he tries to swallow it down. "Yeah. I did." Slowly, he takes Hakyeon's hand again, and Hakyeon searches his face with worried eyes. Wonshik shuts his eyelids for a long moment, and when he opens them again, he looks into Taekwoon's gaze with warmth. "Thank you," he says, his voice clear. He looks at the fully developed polaroid in his hand. "For the memories. And for loving me even though you held another even dearer."

At that point, Hongbin looks up, eyes flicking from Wonshik to Hakyeon to Taekwoon and back again. Hongbin swallows visibly, knowing that Wonshik was referring to him.

"I'll see you around," Wonshik says with a bright smile. "And I wish you two the best." Wonshik nods to Taekwoon and Hongbin, and he would've tipped his hat as well if there had been one on his head.

"We wish the same to you," Hongbin pipes up, earning a sidelong glance from Taekwoon. "See you!" Hongbin beams that winning smile of his.

Wonshik waves, photograph still in hand, as Taekwoon turns his back and continues to push Hongbin down the park walkway, shoulders slumped with almost a sense of defeat. Hakyeon gives a small wave as well, and tugs on Wonshik as soon as Taekwoon and Hongbin are a decent distance away.

"Are you alright?" Hakyeon asks when they're out of earshot.

Wonshik shrugs, his eyes locked onto the picture of he and Taekwoon in his hand. "I'll be alright," he answers, and Hakyeon sighs audibly.

"Hongbin was nice," Hakyeon comments as they begin walking again.

"Yeah," Wonshik agrees, tucking the picture carefully into his pocket. He lifts his chin and in the cool air through his nose, clearing his head.

Hakyeon laughs melodically, a gentle and pleasing sound. "I can't believe he thought we were dating, though."

Wonshik stops walking, his brows shooting up.

"What?" Hakyeon says, oblivious.

"We are holding hands," Wonshik points out, and Hakyeon's eyes travel to their interlocked fingers. "That's a very couple-like thing."

Hakyeon's mouth flounders for words. "I-"

"Go out with me," Wonshik says with conviction, not allowing room for argument.