Suffering

Angel and Vampire

It's been an endless darkness for me now for who knows how long. I managed to count a month until I lost the energy and will to continue counting. I am locked up in a room. Much like a cell. I would've prefered it more had they decided to put me in a coffin and bury me on the ground. But no. They know that not one of us can stand being enclosed in a metal cell. That's why they chose to put me here.

 

I can still remember Minsoo's voice as he object about the choice of place where I would be held. As I expected, he picked my side. He backed me up and continuously defended me.

 

They first thought of putting an end to my existence to serve a good example to other younger vampires who would go against the law. But Minsoo has been firm that if they do that, right then and there, he would kill them all. It's not Minsoo's character to threaten anyone like that. He surely is serious when he said that though. I can tell that the elders saw that too. They quickly backed down and just decided on locking me up for who knows how long.

 

I tried hard not to listen to the whole hearing anymore. My body is numb. I wanna take a rest and my mind is nowhere near my body. My mind is on Salma. I know I hurt her when I left her without much explanation. I know she would be worried the first night I was not there in her room to be with her.

 

I just wish she would be strong and keep on living as a normal human girl that she is. I might not see her in this life time ever again. But who knows, reincarnation might be real. I might meet her in a different life cycle. Yep. I surely will.

 

That's when I know. I'm just thankful I'm still alive. I will continue living, existing, with the hopes that someday, I will meet her again.

 

That has been my mantra. The tiny string of light in between this dark cell I am being kept in. I'm not really sure how long I can go on without drinking blood. It can be half a year now since they placed me here, or it can also be just a few months. I told you, I lost the sense of time here. The cell itself is suffocating me.

 

Minsoo would come once in a while. He would start small conversations but his mind would be locked on me. I know that he's my ally. No doubt about that. But even if he's the most stubborn of our kind, Minsoo still respect the authorities despite the fact that he can lead our kind on his own. I told you, he's a walking contradiction. He can he the most badass vampire out there when he feels like it. But with a snap of your fingers, he can be the most obliging fledgling to the elders.

 

Sometimes though, I think he's just feeling lazy to dip his fingers into this matter. His lack of cooperation made me think that he's only here to make sure that no one would harm me more than they are doing right now. Even with his lax personality, I know how Minsoo cares for his fledglings.

 

Yep, fledglings. There are three more aside from me. There's Niel. The very first vampire he made when he was about two centuries old. Then there's the twin brothers Chunji and L.Joe.

 

I wonder where all these guys are now. They're technically my brothers because we have the same maker but we never did get along with each other.

 

Niel is eccentric and hard-headed. Minsoo is the only one who can get to him which is understandable, considering his powers and abilities. L.Joe and Chunji on the other hand, as they are brothers even before becoming vampires, they're used to keeping to themselves. They would entertain a new company from time to time, but they always end up dumping them and going on along with just the two of them.

 

They didn't do anything to harm me. But they also didn't try to be nice to me, or try to befriend me. I think it's a natural characteristic of us vampires. We tend to build walls around ourselves to shun other vampires from approaching. I'm not really sure why but I do the same thing. I'm definitely rhyming without reason.

 

I wanna see my Salma. Hear her soft voice on my hear. Hear her laughter. Her smile. So alive. And so mine... With thoughts of her beautiful face inches away from mine, I fell asleep.

 

--------

 

It's been one year, nine months, nine days, and two hours after Changjo left this very room without too much of a word. He didn't even said goodbye. He just kissed me. And I don't know why I know. But when our lips met that last time, I know that it's going to be the last. There's so much longing on that kiss. Is that even possible? A kiss is a kiss. But how come that kiss felt like it's the most painful one I've ever received from him?

 

Take care, eh? I should've known full well what those words mean. That he's leaving me. I should've known and stopped waiting for him to reappear here in my room. Or to miraculously bump on him on the street the way we first met.

 

I can still remember how he entranced me with his beauty. His masculinity. The energy that surrounds him. It's as though he's willing me to approach him without really meaning to. And so I approached him. That's another puzzle for me. I might believe in destiny, in fate. Heck, I even believe in love at first sight. Well, Changjo proved the existence of that. After laying my eyes on him. I know. I've fallen inlove.

 

That's why, the months with him has been the happiest days of my life. He would always sneak inside my room. At first I was hesitant about it. I'm not sure if I approve of the whole set up. My family is conservative so I don't actually get why I allowed that setup. Well, I am happy. I guess that's what's more important.

 

My room feels empty and lifeless now. It used to look like this before meeting him so how come it feels hollow right now after he's gone?

 

I spend my days with my friends but I know I'd be fooling myself when I say that not one moment passed that I didn't think about him.

 

I miss you, my vampire.

 

You read that right. Though I have no evidence to prove that, I feel that he's not human. Not the same as I am and everybody else around me. I haven't seen him drink blood. His fangs looked normal. I know people who have fang teeth, and yep, his just look like those. So how did I know?

 

I'm no bookworm or movie buff but I sure have read or watched vampire novels and movies to know how some of them are. He's icy cold. Even if it's the warmest weather, I haven't seen him sweat even a drop. His face is so smooth as though it's been carved out of a marble. His eyes have an unusual glimmer on them. His lips... they're the most luscious red I've seen. This is also probably one of the many reasons why I love kissing him.

 

Thinking about him made me miss him more. But what shall I do? He left with nothing but these memories.

 

I slept that night with thoughts of him and him alone. Then I had a dream. I very beautiful one. In there, I met up with him. Finally! I was so happy. I was staring at his handsome face that's just inches away from mine. I tried to smile and touch his face but I feel so weak. Then I saw recognition on his face, then worry. And then everything went blank.

 

My alarm clock woke me up with a start. Another day. Another day without him.

 

--------

 

Changjo woke up with the sound of voices talking nearby. They still hasn't allowed him out of the cell, and hasn't offered him even a drop of blood. For how long are they going to keep him here, he still got no clue.

 

He tried to focus and listen to what the voices are saying. He could make up Minsoo's voice and then there are others more. He thought he heard Niel's voice, even Chunji's and L.Joe's but he couldn't be sure. Suddenly, sleep is pulling him back in again. He let it. He didn't resist it this time. He's too weak to resist. But before closing his eyes, he murmurs her name.. Salma...

 

--------

 

“You know that we don't really get along but I think that this is cruel.” Niel said after hearing from Minsoo what the Elders had decided before freeing Changjo.

 

“I don't know if I should agree or disagree with the whole thing...” L.Joe started.

 

“Hmm... I can't decide for myself too.” Chunji said before leaning on the brick wall behind him.

 

“It's up to Changjo. This is a test of his immortality. He must prove how strong he is and how much he can cling to his immortality when things come to worst.” Minsoo said without much expression on his face.

 

--------

 

Changjo awoke with a start. He can smell blood. Fresh blood. Warm blood. Someone alive is near. A human. Could they be testing whether I would jump on that human like an unthinking beast? Is this a test? Changjo thinks to himself.

 

He tried to control his thirst. If this is indeed a test, he will not give in. He held his breathe to keep the sweet smell away. He held it for as much as he can. But when it's too much that he needed to breathe again, the smell grew stronger. This time, he's sure. It's approaching him. Whatever that person is thinking, he is approaching a very thirsty vampire.

 

Out of the corner of Changjo's eye, he saw some of his fellow vampires standing by the shadows. This confirms his thoughts that this is indeed a test. He decided to show them that he can win this. He clenched his teeth and tried to hold his breathe again and ignore the thirst that's growing more and more painful with every ticking second.

 

He turned away from the origin of the smell but it kept on drawing nearer and nearer. When he's sure that the person is right outside his cell, one voice from the darkness spoke:

 

“Take the victim. It's yours.”

 

Changjo turned a piercing glare at the origin of the voice.

 

“It's your prize for accepting your punishment without making a ruckus.” Another one spoke.

 

“Don't you believe us? Break that metal door. Show us how strong you can still be without drinking blood for almost two years.”

 

Almost two years? Changjo's ears perked up after hearing that. It's been almost two years? So long ago since I last saw my Salma. At the thought of Salma, Changjo quickly ripped open the metal door as though it's made of paper. If it he wants to see his beloved, he only needed to rip open this door, take his victim, and go over to her. He can fight them all off when he has fed.

 

He quickly grabbed the person that's standing right out of it. Quickly, he tore open the neck and gulped all of the blood that's oozing on his mouth. He didn't even dare look at the face of the person he's drinking from. He just continue on with his feast. Slowly, he can feel his strength coming back to him. He can feel his every limbs and veins throbbing from the warm blood of his victim. He felt greater than ever before.

 

He was about to drink the last drops of blood when he heard his victim call out his name.

 

..”Chang...jo..”

 

And Salma grew limp on his arms.

 

A/N: Woohoo! Is this the ending you've been anticipating? Hahaha! How'd you like it? You said you want something tragic, right? So, here it is! Haha!