Meeting

Angel and Vampire

 For a century and a half vampire like Changjo, things are still as exciting as the first time he became a vampire and mastered all his supernatural powers. He can fly, oh yes he can. He can read minds. But because the noise of billions of thoughts, he learned how to shut them out of his head. He can still remember the peace he felt when he finally learned what his master, Minsoo, taught him. “Focus on one voice alone. Shun the others.” Was what his master told him when he was about to go crazy from so many voices inside his head.

 

That was seventy years ago. Minsoo is now far away in the Pacific with his human lover.

 

It was raining tonight. Changjo hates it. It's so gloomy. Most people are inside their houses, eating warm food and sharing crisp and heartfelt laughter with their loved ones. While he is out there, on the roof, looking down at the fragile life of human beings. He missed being human. Seldom are these times when he would feel melancholic and think of those years when he was just a normal human boy. Enjoying his life and not having any thoughts about supernatural creatures – creatures he has become.

 

He missed his twin brother, Ricky. Though his jolly brother died when they were seven, Changjo felt as though Ricky grow up along with him. It's as though he never really left. He smiled at the thought.

 

Changjo decided to go down the street. He jumped from the thirty storey building he was standing at and landed quietly down the narrow pavement. He walked along the crowd as though he was part of the living. Hands on his pocket, he observed the crowd and walked aimlessly. He doesn't care that he's getting wet from the pouring rain. No illness shall ever harm his preternatural body.

 

He was deep in thought when he suddenly felt the rain stopped. He looked up and saw an umbrella above his head which automatically turned his head down to the one who's holding it up for him. A girl. A really cute girl. She smiled up at his towering height and meekly said, "You'll catch a cold."

 

He would've laughed aloud had it been a normal incident. But her eyes, it bore genuine concern for him though he couldn't understand why. Why would a stranger care for a vagabond like me?

 

They stayed like that for a little while longer until the girl's face started to twitch. With his preternatural eyes, he can see the subtlest movements around him; especially when he is staring intently at it. From the moment he laid his eyes on her, he hadn't pulled it away. It stayed there. On her smooth face, her eyes which can speak thousands of words, her nose, her lips...

 

Changjo quickly tear his eyes away from her. What is this? Why is my heart... it's having an abnormal rhythm..!!

 

His musings was cut when she spoke. “Uhm, aren't we going to sit? My hand feels tired. But I don't wanna put the umbrella down. We're going to be drenched by the rain.” She said in her tiny voice. She doesn't know this man, so why is she helping him? She couldn't explain it either. It's just that, when she saw him walking in the rain, she felt something tug at her heart. It's as though he is the missing half of it.

 

Silly you might think, but she believes in destiny. That each of us has to find the other half of their heart to make it whole. Tonight, she felt like she has found hers. And he is standing just inches away from her.

 

Changjo, though uncertain about what this human girl wants from him, stayed standing so still she could've mistook him for a statue. The type of statue which people marvel at in Rome and Greece. Another tug at his sleeve and Changjo was back to present. Though where his mind went for a short while, he couldn't tell for sure. He wants to get out of there. Get away. But somehow, his feet wouldn't obey him, and he feels as though a part of him wants to stay. Again, he looked down at the girl. She's looking at him as though he was some sort of a puzzle that she needed to decipher soon, but is abiding her time to study the littlest of details.

 

“What are you looking at?” Changjo asked, careful that his voice is not too much for human ears. Though without meaning to, he delivered the words with arrogance in it. He saw her flinch.

 

“Why are you mad? I was just offering you help here, you know.” She pout. “We'll get really drenched soon. Let's find a place to take cover.” The girl tugged at his sleeve and started to walk.

 

Uncertain of his self, Changjo let her lead him. “Where are we going?” He asked afterwards.

 

“My house is just a couple of blocks away. You can stay in for a while until you dry yourself and eat some hot soup.” She smiled at him, slightly looking back and up at him.

 

Changjo abruptly stop. He couldn't go in her house. He couldn't let any human get close to him than she already is right now. And certainly, he couldn't risk being suspected as being supernatural because he knows he couldn't eat any human food.

 

But he knows that there is a far bigger reason. He doesn't want to get closer to her. He doesn't want her to get involved in his life. She'll only suffer...

 

For many a times tonight, Changjo was confused about himself. What is with this woman that I feel as though I need to get away from her but a part of me wants to stay? How come I wanna know her more but I don't want her getting involved with me? She'll just suffer.. They will make her suffer...

 

Changjo cringed at the thought. The girl looked back at him with confusion in her eyes. “Why? Did I say something bad?”

 

Changjo turned and walked at the opposite the direction. Back to where she found him, and back to the alleyway. He need to get away. It's still early for them to tell that this woman is acquainted to him. Though he couldn't really tell if she is indeed acquainted to him. Because she's not. He quickened his pace. He heard the girl's voice calling for him but he ignored it.

 

Don't bother with me. You'll only get yourself killed. I'm doing you a favor. I'm saving your life... From them.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Chapter one is up! How do you like this, Salma? Imma post the next chapters soon! Hahah! Forgive your eonni because she is too busy with work as of the moment. I'm just thankful I was able to squeeze this in since I promised I would write you one for your birthday! ^_____^ I hope you like this.