Filling the Gap

Walking On the Rainbow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyukjae carefully walked out of his room, his eyes nervously scanning his empty surrounding. If it wasn’t because of his poor growling little tummy, he wouldn’t even bother to go downstairs at two o’clock in the morning. Thanks to Donghae’s ‘headless man’ joke, he kept thinking of what he should do if a real headless man would suddenly appear right in front of his eyes. He might even die before he could ask for help.

 

Hyukjae jolted up when he suddenly heard the faint sound of dogs barking, as if something was bothering them. What could that be? It couldn’t possibly a ghost, right? He took another few steps forward, but as he was about to walk down the stairs, his eyes suddenly landed on something down there, or rather, someone.

 

It was a shadow of a man, standing upright while facing him. Hyukjae’s eyes widened. What in the world is that?

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Geezus!” Hyukjae stumbled back as he hastily turned around when he heard the voice, only to see Donghae in front of him, holding a glass of water.

 

“Goodness,” Hyukjae sighed loudly, “Don’t scare me like that, idiot!”

 

“You should be in your room. It’s late.”

 

“I know, but I’m starving.”

 

“I have some sandwiches and chips in my room. Take them if you want.”

 

Hyukjae was always fussy when it comes to food, but after seeing that kind of ‘thing’ in his own house, he just didn’t have the balls to go downstairs by himself. It might the best decision to listen to Donghae in this kind of situation.

 

“I won’t thank you for this,” Hyukjae arrogantly said.

 

Donghae didn’t say a word, but it seemed like he was actually trying not to smile, and Hyukjae couldn’t feel even more humiliated than this. He swore, he would’ve killed the latter on the spot if he would ever laugh at him right now.

 

“Come in,” Donghae said as he made a little space for Hyukjae to enter his room.

 

“Why aren’t you sleeping yet?” Hyukjae asked.

 

“I’m not sleepy,” Donghae handed the latter a sandwich, before sitting down near the balcony door, his back leaning against the wall. “And it’s my job to keep you safe.”

 

“I can never understand people like you,” Hyukjae shook his head as he plopped down on the couch, unwrapping the sandwich Donghae had given him. It was a little stale, but it was better than nothing.

 

“You know,” Donghae studied the redhead’s face, who didn’t seem to realize that he was staring at him as he was too engrossed in having his late night snack, “You’re being surprisingly passive right now.”

 

“So?”

 

“Did something happen?”

 

Hyukjae wasn’t planning to tell anyone about his ‘encounter’ with that strange shadow earlier, but he just needed to be convinced that his house would be safe from any strange creatures.

 

Clearing his throat, he scooted closer to Donghae, lowering his voice as he asked, “I…I think I saw something just now.”

 

“What kind of thing?”

 

“I don’t know. But there was really something when I looked downstairs. It’s…it’s kind of…disturbing.”

 

Noticing the slight glint of fear in the younger’s eyes, which was something that could rarely be seen, Donghae knew Hyukjae wasn’t trying to prank him. But if an intruder broke into the house, the guards would’ve noticed it, and he would’ve seen it coming even before anyone else would.

 

“No, you were just seeing things,” Donghae assured the redhead, but it didn’t seem like it was enough to convince Hyukjae.

 

“What if something strange is indeed in my house?” Hyukjae frowned.

 

Donghae’s lips slightly curved upward as he stared at the blonde’s scared face, which somewhat looked quite funny to him. “Are you scared?”

 

“Not really,” Hyukjae quickly looked away, refusing to meet Donghae’s eyes, “I’m just feeling a little uncomfortable.”

 

“You at lying.”

 

“Shut up!”

 

Donghae didn’t even bother to back away when Hyukjae threw a bottle of water at him, which hit him directly on his forehead. Hyukjae’s jaw dropped in shock as the bottle fell onto the floor, finding it hard to believe that he had just hit someone with a bottle. Damn, that must’ve hurt.

 

“Are you crazy or something?” Hyukjae stared at Donghae in disbelief. Putting aside his half eaten sandwich, he rushed to Donghae’s side, examining his forehead that was slowly reddening. “Why didn’t you avoid it, you ?”

 

“I had no intention to avoid it in the first place,” Donghae calmly answered.

 

“Are you nuts? That could’ve cracked your skull.”

 

“I just thought that you might be able to get rid of your anger if you hit someone.”

 

Hyukjae wasn’t even sure what he was supposed to say. Donghae was probably the first person who bravely confronted his ‘attack’, and he didn’t even know how he should react.

 

“You don’t have to make that face,” Donghae said, “It doesn’t hurt that bad.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter