Chapter 9 - Encounters

Crayon

Nichkhun was up early the next morning. He was eager to explore the city of Seoul. He left the apartment, humming a tune. It was surprising that he wasn't skipping. The weather was perfect with the sun in the sky beaming down at him as if to welcome him home. The city was bustling as he strolled down the street taking in the familiar air. He hadn't noticed the night before but there was a lot that hadn't changed. He glanced over at the book store that he had visited once before. Nichkhun was not a bookworm so book stores? Well.. they weren't really his point of interest. Despite this, he walked over to the store for memories sake. 

Ding....

He listened to the movement of the bell when he pushed open the door. Immediately from behind a book, a young man, about his age, lifted his head. He was stood reading at the counter. He appeared to be very interested in the book in his hands. A smile immediately washed over the man's face when he caught a glimpse of Nichkhun. A familiar smile. 

"Welcome!"

He raised his arms in a welcoming gesture to emphasize his words. Nichkhun bowed and greeted him before stepping closer to the desk. A mumbling occurred from the open door behind the man. Then appeared a more familiar figure. He hadn't aged. Nichkhun remembered the owner well because of the unavoidable, capturing smile he had. "Ah! Nichkhun, I haven't seen you come to this book store for years! You never came again!" Nichkhun chuckled thinking to himself 'That's because I don't like books.. They're also especially pricey here..' before grinning to the man and nodding. "This is my son, Siwon". Nichkhun nodded finally understanding why the guy had looked familiar. Stood side by side, Nichkhun could see their resemblance and  the same charming smile they both had.

"He was in  a few of your classes back in high school if I remember correctly.."

Or that.. Perhaps that was also why he had seemed so familiar. Nichkhun wasn't very social back in his high school days. He had liked to keep to himself, talking to himself, remarking to himself. Siwon smiled and extended his hand to Nichkhun.

"Hello Nichkhun, I remember you always being holed up drawing in the corner of the classroom". He chuckled.

"Nice to meet you" Nichkhun grinned.

Tick, he had made one friend. That's part of his checklist for Seoul done. He had to make friends unlike before because having friends could really help him in his search for Tiffany, plus, he wasn't about to jump back to being a quiet, dejected artist sketching in the corner of the room like a loner. That's how he'd spent everyday of his life for nearly three years! Until he had met Tiffany, that changed it all.

The owner began to babble to Nichkhun about how he'd spent the past frew years and how the business of the store was going. Nichkhun was so zoned out that he hadn't even noticed when Siwon left. Turning around, scanning the room, he finally spotted him by the door, pecking a young lady in a hooded jacket. Nichkhun wondered how she could be wearing a jacket when it was so hot out. He was melting just looking at her. Slung over her shoulders, was a bag with a pink hello kitty charm on it. Nichkhun winced as he was reminded of Tiffany again. She'd loved pink and would rave about Sanrio at any moment she could for the two days he had known her. The woman released the embrace and stepped out of the shop, heading across the street. Nichkhun looked at the time on his watch noticing that 30 minutes had already passed, realising that it was time for him to make his leave too.

Waving to the book store owner and his son, he slipped his phone into his pocket, where he had just inputted Siwon's number. He crossed the street and continued on his way. He thought of a girl. Not Tiffany this time but Stephanie, the lady from the plane. Whenever he had his phone out, he was tempted to scroll through his contacts and call her or text her. He always decided otherwise. He didn't want to come off like he was trying to pick her up or something. He didn't want to look desperate either. It was probably best for him to let her initiate the contact first.

Nichkhun noticed something a little further down the street. He felt excited. The sight was like finding a pool of water in the desert. He ran over to the store and walked in. He'd loved Starbucks in America and figured he would love it in Korea. Ordering a frappucino, he took a sip to quench his thirst and turned around to look for a seat. Spotting one, he walked over and grabbed a chair. His hand came in contact with another.

"Sorry ma'am this seat is taken"

"Sir, I saw it first!"

His eyes shot up to see who the person stealing his space was. Her eyes met his at the same time.

"Tif.. Stephanie!?"

"N..Nick.."

Nichkhun bit his lip. He had almost called Stephanie, Tiffany. He was such and idiot. Stephanie wasn't Tiffany. He couldn't help but see the resemblance though. Her adorable, pouty face Stephanie wore when she was grumpy. It was exactly the same as Tiffany's. Even with what little he could remember Tiffany's face, he could msuter that much. Although Tiffany's face was just a blur in his memories, there was so much he could remember. The feeling of familiarity between them. It was a pain trying to remember. He tried and tried but the image just wouldn't come to him. He couldn't recall her face, only that she was the most beautiful person he'd ever laid eyes on, even more beautiful than his first love, the girl from the past.

"Guess we will have to share then" Stephanie said before sitting on the chair at the oposite end of the table. Nichkhun nodded and sat down on his seat. Stephanie pulled out a laptop and began typing, occasionally sipping from her mug. Then Nichkhun recalled the document from before. What was it? "White Crayon"? Nichkhun played his own white crayon story in his head. During his high school days, when a crayon was mentioned, Nichkhun would be reminded of his first love, his lost love. Nowadays however, Nichkhun always thought of a different story when the word 'crayon' was spoke. He thought of his second love, another love he had lost. They had been the best 48 hours of his high school years - no, his life. Tiffany had made it so. Unfortunately, due to his rotten luck that he'd had all his life, he was forced to move leaving Tiffany behind in Korea. His parents had moved because of their desires to start a business over in the States and they also had the idea that Nichkhun would have a better education and extend his artistic abilities in America, though Nichkhun couldn't see how the universities in Korea were any less good at that stuff. Nichkhun had been sent to a university in New York while his family resided far away, in LA. After two short years in university while juggling a job, Nichkhun was saving up money. He sent money to his parents every month to show his support as a loving son and he also paid for his expenses as well as slowly saving up to return to Korea. When he had finished his studies half a year ago, Nichkhun began to juggle two jobs, a day job and a night job. The last 6 months was where he had saved up the most money. He had poured all of his pocket money from when he was younger, as well as any spare money he had, into the fund. He limited the amount he was allowed to spend on groceries and he was finally here. Away from the States and where he wanted to be only he wasn't with who he wanted to be with. nichkhun hadn't considered what he would do after he got to Korea. Taecyeon, being the bestest friend in the world, had got Nichkhun a job at some art studio. He'd even prepared an apartment for Nichkhun. His best friend was not capable of finding Tiffany though. There was only one task Nichkhun had to do, find Tiffany.

Of course, his first morning in Korea didn't appear to be successful. He hadn't found any clues on Tiffany. Only some book store owner, an old classmate and the lady from the plane. It was good progress.. Nichkhun was dumb to think he'd return and Tiffany would somehow know through telepathic communications that he was returning, and would appear, arms open wide, running towards him to embrace him.

That was his one finding.

He was dumb.