if only.

zenith

He knew it was coming. He just didn't know that it was happening so soon.

Nothing about Jung Yunho's new girlfriend told him that this was going to be "the one", and Changmin still vividly recalls the elder man coming home late one night with a wide grin on his face. Prepared to launch into a rant about how Yunho needed to learn to sleep earlier and to stop drinking so much alcohol, he was caught unprepared when the other male grabbed him by the shoulders and said with undeniable happiness, Changmin I'm getting married.
Unable to do anything but gape, Changmin stood in mute shock as his mind struggled to process the earth-shattering announcement. The words seemed to drill right through his skull; each syllable crystallising in his bloodstream like a dagger. 

That's great, hyung. Changmin heard himself say, but the voice didn't sound like his. It sounded too cheerful, too happy - when all he wanted to do was curl up and cry. Yunho didn't seem to notice, and he continued rambling on and on about how he had proposed, how they were planning the wedding, how he wanted Changmin to be the best man.
And so Changmin accepts. Because he's always been one to stand beside Yunho even when everyone seemed to doubt their decision. Because he's always been there to pick up the pieces  when things fell apart. Because he's always been the one to hold Yunho close and say everything will be alright.
He stands next to Yunho at the cathedral on the day of the wedding, feeling a bittersweet ache when he sees his hyung's face light up with a beatific smile. The knowledge comes with a pang when he knows the smile isn't for him, it'll never be for him. 

He watches Yunho say the vows, and when it comes time for the girl to do it, he mouths what she says under his breath, wishing with all his heart that it could be him.

If only it was for him.

 

________

Author's Note:

Hello! Thanks for leaving such lovely and supportive comments even though all I've done is post the foreword. I appreciate every single one of them!
Sadly, I was in quite the angsty mood today so I wrote quite the bittersweet drabble. I'll make it up to everyone with a fluffy/romantic one later on!