Chasing Cars

Someday We'll Know

10.  9.  8.  7.  Ji Hyo ran, scrambling to find a hiding place as HaHa counted down.  6.  5.  4.  3.  Suddenly, she felt something grab her ankle.  She nearly screamed but kept quiet so HaHa wouldn't hear.  Down on the ground lay Gary.  His trademark hat was pulled down low over his face to block the sun.  He pulled her down with him.  "Shhhh" he whispered, finger over his mouth.  Ji Hyo wanted to smack him.  Of all the dumb places to hide, just lying down in the field was stupid.  But it was too late to find a new place now.  

2.  1.  "I'm coming" screamed HaHa.  Luckily for Ji Hyo and Gary, he ran off away from them, towards the Apple orchard and away from the grassy pasture field.  

They lay there, quiet.  Though the danger was gone, neither dared to move.  The hot sun beat down on them and Gary adjusted his cap to cover his face.  Moments later, sweltering in the heat, Ji Hyo did the same.  

Minutes passed.  It seemed like hours to Ji Hyo.  She wanted so badly to move.  But she dared not, lest HaHa was nearby.  They hadn't heard anything since he finished counting.  

Ji Hyo was acutely aware of how close she was to Gary.  They were lying at an angle relative to each other, spread out to look like a sideways "V"  That meant Gary's head was mere inches away from her.  It made her nervous, to have him so close.  She could hear the blood rushing in her ears, her heartbeat increasing as she fought to control her feelings.  

"Are you sleeping?" Gary said, softly.  With the hat covering his face, Ji Hyo could barely hear the words.  But there was no mistaking the next words out of his mouth.  "You know I like you" he murmured.  Ji Hyo felt the grass rustle and gasped when she felt his hand reach out to grab hers.  

"Opp..." she started, stunned speechless.  He squeezed her hand gently and her palm with his thumb. "Shhhh" he whispered.  "Don't say anything.  Just lay here with me."

Ji Hyo could feel her heart race inside her chest.  She could feel her face flush, not from the sun, but from the burning blood coursing through her veins.  Omo.  Did he just confess to me.  What am I supposed to do?  This is so awkward.  Oh god.  He's still holding my hand.  Let it go.  LET GO NOW!

She quickly released his hand and pulled back but he chuckled from underneath his hat.  "I felt your pulse" he said.  "I feel the same way."  

"SONG JI HYO!  I GOT YOU!"  HaHa screamed.  Ji Hyo awoke with start.  Getting up, she looked around.  Gary was nowhere to be seen.  HaHa was standing over her, looking pleased.  He reached down and tore her nametag before she could figure out what had happened.  "

"Song Ji Hyo OUT" said the PD into the megaphone.  Ji Hyo looked around, still confused as HaHa handed her back her nametag, laughing.  "Ya, how could you fall asleep during the game?" he asked, cracking up with mirth.  

Was that all just a dream then?  Ji Hyo walked back towards the jail, confused by her feelings and memories.  It felt so real.  Did I just imagine that?  Reaching the designated jail, she was dismayed to see only empty chairs.  "Was I the first?" she asked the PD who was watching the jail?  He nodded "no" and pointed off to the side.  Ji Hyo followed his finger and didn't see anything, though there was a small depression in the grass.  Curious, she walked over and saw Gary, lying on the ground, hat shielding his face from the sun.  

He didn't respond as she approached so she flicked his cap off his face.  "Oh Ji Hyo.  You're here" he said, throwing up a hand to shield his eyes from the blinding sun.  He sat up and patted the ground next to him.  "Sit down.  It's cooler over here than it is over there."  Ji Hyo sat, feeling insecure, still unsure what was real and what was reality.  

Gary lay back again and covered his face with his hat. "It's nice here" he said.  Ji Hyo wasn't sure if he was talking to himself or not but continued anyway.  "Sometimes, I just want to lay back, watch the clouds, not worry about anything" he continued, sounding wistful.  Ji Hyo lay back to join him, enjoying his commentary.  Though her mind and heart were unsettled, she relaxed as she watched the puffy white clouds blow across the blue sky.  Slowly, she began to zone out.  She was so relaxed, she didn't feel Gary grab her hand and was surprised a few minutes later as he squeezed it.  "Ji Hyo yah" he said, bringing her back to reality.  He squeezed her hand again and pulled it towards him.  He placed her hand on his chest, and covered it with his own hand.  "Do you know how I feel?" he asked, looking her in the eye.  

The moment was too big.  Ji Hyo couldn't meet his eyes and pulled her hand back out of his grasp.  "Oppa..." she said, flustered.  "There are no cameras here" said Gary, anticipating her objection.  He waited until Ji Hyo met his gaze and finished his confession.  "Can you accept my feelings?" he asked, a little surprised by his boldness.  

As it became clear that she was still speechless, he lay back down.  "It's okay, Ji Hyo yah" he said, pulling the hat over his face again.  "You don't have to say anything."  But he couldn't keep the smile from his face as he felt her lie back down next to him.  Her hand slowly reached out, feeling for his.  When they finally touched, she slowly maneuvered her fingers, interlocking them with his. "Oppa, let's just stay like this for a minute" she said, trying to sort out her complicated feelings. Gary was a good guy and she did have feeling for him.  But they worked together and the threat of a scandal loomed as a barrier to their dating.  But all that could wait.  She squeezed his hand and relaxed in the moment.  They could think about that tomorrow.  Right now, it was just him and her.  Together.  Holding hands.  The world outside could wait.